OGS Status Update Anyone?

tomj

I applied for an Ontario Graduate Scholarship last fall (for the 2012-2013 academic year) and this is what I see on the "Check Status" page:

"Information about whether or not your application was entered into the competition will be available mid December. The results of the competition will be available mid April 2012. Please use the "Check Status" link on your OGS Main Page to access information about the status of your application."

Is there anyone in the same situation?

Thanks.

If anyone is curious, this is the status update that I've got as well, even though I submitted my app directly to the competition. The update is just to placate I think, I wouldn't assume that it's representative of reality. This is the first time that I've checked the status since submission (just to satisfy my curiosity concerning this thread), and I won't check again until the end of March, at the earliest.

While a few years back now, I remember I submitted directly to OGS, and I heard nothing until April (mid-to-late?) when I found out I was successful. If it's still the same, you may just have to wait. For me, I had to make a decision on my school before I knew about OGS, which was frustrating.

Last year I got it, didn't hear until end of April and didn't get the money until September.

Similar here - Last year my application was successful, and I was notified on May 6th (that's the day my online status changed on the OSAP site). I chose the September start date to receive the award, and the first funding payment was in my bank account during the first week of September.

Does anyone out there have experience with selecting the May start date option?

Does anyone out there have experience with selecting the May start date option?

I've never known anyone to get the May start date. This is probably because you need to be registered/attending for the duration of the award, and I've never known anyone who started a program year in May.

I've never known anyone to get the May start date. This is probably because you need to be registered/attending for the duration of the award, and I've never known anyone who started a program year in May.

Maybe if you applied during the first year of your Master's you could have a May start date?

As a PhD student, you register in all three terms - fall, winter, and spring/summer. You can select if you want your OGS award to be 2 or 3 terms, and you have the option for the award to start in May if you're registered then (since you pay tuition all year long, this might make sense if you're heading into your second, third, or fourth year). It just means that your $$ goes from May-May, rather than Sept-Sept. I'm just curious if anyone has done this and what they see as beneficial about it.

Edited by Andsowego

Mine still says, "Information about whether or not your application was entered into the competition will be available mid January. The results of the competition will be available mid April 2012. Please use the "Check Status" link on your OGS Main Page to access information about the status of your application."

And then when you use the "check status" link on the main page as they suggest, you get sent right back to ^^that^^ message.

Based on my previous experiences with OGS, the things they write on their website are subject to change at any time without any explanation... from mid-Dec to mid-Jan to mid-Feb... to OOPS! now you have to wait until April to know *anything*. But then again, I would be more than happy to eat my words! ;)

Edited by Andsowego

No change here (as of January 25th, 2012).

From what I've heard, each year there is only one woman working at the OGS program office. Seems like we'll be experiencing all sorts of announcement related delays this year. Don't expect to hear anything regarding success/failure until around May! :wacko:

Well, we're now well past what I would consider "mid-January." Just for fun, I hereby predict that in the next couple of days the OGS status description will be changed to "mid-February." I'd be willing to stake the $4.37 I have left on my Tim H's card that mid-Feb is the next stop on the notification train! Anyone want to bet against me? ;)

Normally, by January they let us know that our application was entered in the competition (that is, they received a complete file). But results come out in April, sometimes in May. OGS tends to be pretty slow with these things.

But yes, it sucks that you have to decide on what grad school offer to accept before knowing about OGS or SSHRC results. Especially relevant for OGS applicants who applied for schools outside of Ontario.

Hey all...if you look at the discussion threads for OGS 2011, it is obvious that we are not going to hear anything until April...I checked with OGS officer at the U of T and she said they do not announce anything till then :wacko: anyone checked with other schools?

Edited by MJ1986

Hey all...if you look at the discussion threads for OGS 2011, it is obvious that we are not going to hear anything until April...I checked with OGS officer at the U of T and she said they do not announce anything till then :wacko: anyone checked with other schools?

It's my understanding that the selection procedure has changed for the 2012-2013 year. In previous years, you're correct. No one knew anything until final decisions came out. However, this year is supposedly different. Universities forward all eligible applications to OGS peeps, and then they consider all applications, and not everyone gets entered in the provincial competition. The message that is being displayed on the website is very different from before (last year, it said nothing about mid-Dec/Jan, and only stated mid-April/May for final results).

Edited by Andsowego

It's my understanding that the selection procedure has changed for the 2012-2013 year. In previous years, you're correct. No one knew anything until final decisions came out. However, this year is supposedly different. Universities forward all eligible applications to OGS peeps, and then they consider all applications, and not everyone gets entered in the provincial competition. The message that is being displayed on the website is very different from before (last year, it said nothing about mid-Dec/Jan, and only stated mid-April/May for final results).

Not true. Last year it also said 'Your application was received and entered into the competition.' Those who were not forwarded by their university had a message along the lines of 'Your complete application was not received.'

Not true. Last year it also said 'Your application was received and entered into the competition.' Those who were not forwarded by their university had a message along the lines of 'Your complete application was not received.'

Everyone is forwarded by the university (at least at my uni they are). Departmental ranking occurs, and then every single eligible application is forwarded to OGS. It doesn't work the same way as SSHRC since OGS doesn't impose a quota on uni's (though maybe I'm misinterpreting, and you're actually referring to me being wrong about the timeline for notifications from last year? my app was successful last year, and my file never changed until the first week of May - I kept printouts of the page). Either way, OGS is now past the "mid-Jan" promise which is annoying.

Edited by Andsowego

I'm curious- what does everyone's "current status"..... I know this thread's following the question as to whether our applications have made it out of our schools and into the full competition...

Mine says:

Current Status:

Date: Oct 14, 2011

Description: App Submitted

I have not received any information from my school if my application had been forwarded on, or not. My friend's Current Status says the same thing (date & description).

Not sure if my school is lazy, or if it's an OGS thing?