OGS Status Update Anyone?

tomj

Thanks for the update, MJ1986!

I guess the delay in release of competition results makes sense, given the fact that the review of OGS applications is about 2 months behind schedule.

That is very unthoughtful of them cause we might need to accept some offers in March-April without knowing if we are partially-funded by OGS or no!

You'd think they would know how long this would take? It's not uncommon to accept offers before you know about external funding. I believe I didn't know about NSERC until after I had received acceptances, although I don't think I had chosen anything yet.

The OGS office is so understaffed though I'm actually happy it doesn't take them longer to send out notices. It's really just a hand full of people trying to process thousands of applications. Too bad for us who have to wait, but apparently the government's argument is: we could either hire more people and offer less money, or keep understaffed and offer more scholarships. Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I heard in May that i got it and accepted it for a May start. I got my first payment in September with the second payment.

Edited by ajesusj

• 3 weeks later...

Your supervisors and administrators already know the results. Just depends on how long they take to email out the results. Last year I found out first week of May.

Found out I have received a second OGS for 2012-2013 :)

Once you have one you're likely to get another provided you've improved from the year before.

Yes I know my result for 2012-2013... that I will be receiving one in Sept 2012.

Basically, the grad coordinator of your department would have already been notified of who within their unit received an OGS. However, it is usually the case that they are not supposed to release the info until closer to when results are shared with the actual applicants. This might be because they release more as people dont accept the OGS because they received a SSHRC or some other funding.

I'm not sure what the last poster is talking about. The departments of the recipients of OGS are all notified at the same time, and I can guaranteed that they have not been notified. Has anyone received internal scholarships yet for next year? Usually departments wait for OGS results before making internal funding decisions so as to make sure that everyone gets a little bit of financial help.

Ii would be against OGS regulations for any one school to be notified before all of them and I can absolutely assure you that my department has not been nominated. Last year there was a mistake in that certain students were notified that they were going to receive OGS before everyone else and that was a snafu only, not intentional.

I'm guessing that anyone who has been "notified" by their department has merely been told that they have an excellent chance of getting it again. Although you shouldn't bank on it. The committee changes every year and each will bring a different bias to the table. I know several students whose marks were better the second time around who did not recieve it.

If you have been notified sleepphyd, I am inclined to belief that there is a member of the committee at your institution with inside knowledge of this year's process, which implies poor form on the part of your department. At any rate, in no way am I trying to discredit you sleepyphd, I really hope you get it.

I'm not sure what the last poster is talking about. The departments of the recipients of OGS are all notified at the same time, and I can guaranteed that they have not been notified. Has anyone received internal scholarships yet for next year? Usually departments wait for OGS results before making internal funding decisions so as to make sure that everyone gets a little bit of financial help.

Ii would be against OGS regulations for any one school to be notified before all of them and I can absolutely assure you that my department has not been nominated. Last year there was a mistake in that certain students were notified that they were going to receive OGS before everyone else and that was a snafu only, not intentional.

I'm guessing that anyone who has been "notified" by their department has merely been told that they have an excellent chance of getting it again. Although you shouldn't bank on it. The committee changes every year and each will bring a different bias to the table. I know several students whose marks were better the second time around who did not recieve it.

If you have been notified sleepphyd, I am inclined to belief that there is a member of the committee at your institution with inside knowledge of this year's process, which implies poor form on the part of your department. At any rate, in no way am I trying to discredit you sleepyphd, I really hope you get it.

That's correct. 'sleepyphd' is either spoon feeding us bullsh*t, or some insider blabbed (more likely). Results have not been released to anyone; not to us, not to grad studies, and not to universities.

Edited by stanvx

Yes, I agree - I just received an email from my department today about forwarding students who do not receive external funding on to graduate studies for internal fellowships. In the email it was specifically stated that they have not yet heard when the results will be released from any of the funding agencies (NSERC, CIHR, SSHRC, or OGS); but, from the tone of the email, it sounds as though they expect that results will not be released until May.

ahhhhh i hate waiting.

it's making it hard to focus on these last few weeks of the term.

i dont know what i will do if i don't get the OGS. i found out i can't get a summer extension on my OSAP because they gave me my funding loan for 52 weeks 3 terms..

i have nothing to pay for my summer courses.

from what it sounds like some people have requested a may start in the past and don't get the first payment till sept?

will this delay make it impossible to receive anything for may start if you desperately need/request/want a may start?

if my OGS app isn't successful.. i am going to cry. and sell random things from my apartment. anyone interested in a wonderful vintage coffee table painted with ugly colours?

p.s goood luck everyone!

:)

I presume everyone just received the email from OGS this morning:

The results for the 2012-13 OGS competition will be released beginning to mid May 2012.

Once the results have been released, you will receive an email notification, letting you know that your results are available, and you will be able to check your status by logging into your OGS account, from the OSAP website. In addition to your results being available online, a letter will also be mailed to you, conveying your results for the 2012-13 competition.

At least they're emailing us with a status update this year (I don't recall them doing this in the past), even if the only reason they're doing so is to limit the number of students bombarding them with requests for status updates.

I got this e-mail this morning:

"The results for the 2012-13 OGS competition will be released beginning to mid May 2012.

Once the results have been released, you will receive an email notification, letting you know that your results are available, and you will be able to check your status by logging into your OGS account, from the OSAP website. In addition to your results being available online, a letter will also be mailed to you, conveying your results for the 2012-13 competition."

So, there ya go.

My heart jumped for a second, as the subject line of the e-mail read: "2012-13 OGS Competition Results"

Dear OGS, if the subject line reads "2012-13 OGS Competition Results", ONE MIGHT EXPECT THAT THE BODY OF THE E-MAIL WILL CONTAIN COMPETITION RESULTS!

Geez... it's like they do this on purpose... I hadn't thought about OGS for, like, two weeks, and I was prepared and perfectly happy to carry on not thinking about them for another month or so.

There may be a batch of applicants out there who are comforted by the reminder that OGS does, in fact, still exists and still intends to process the competition, but I am not one of them.

I adore you OGS, but I think that we need some space! Good luck fellow OGS prospectives, the next time we compare notes, it will hopefully pertain to communication that offers a bit of closure!

My heart jumped for a second, as the subject line of the e-mail read: "2012-13 OGS Competition Results"

Dear OGS, if the subject line reads "2012-13 OGS Competition Results", ONE MIGHT EXPECT THAT THE BODY OF THE E-MAIL WILL CONTAIN COMPETITION RESULTS!

Hahaha, me too.

I was checking my emails on my phone from bed early this morning...probably still half asleep, and I jumped out of bed freaking out at the subject line... I was so nervous to see the whole message and than BAM... old news.

Waiting is driving me CRAZY.

My motivation is dwindling, it's hard to keep focused when the future is unknown.

Did you change your email? Either way, I wouldn't stress to much about it - who knows what is going on with their system. Good luck!

Thanks NeedFunds, I'll double check the settings in my OSAP account!