The money pit poll

gadhelyn

How much money has grad school admissions sucked out of your account? (in US dollars)  

192 members have voted

1. 1. How much money has grad school admissions sucked out of your account? (in US dollars)

• >1000
    • 800-999
    • 600-799
    • 400-599
    • 200-399
    • <199

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish that the government would give some sort of tax credit for graduate admissions fees. After spending over $500 on applying to schools, I'm faced with the prospect that I may owe the government money. Not too happy about that.

For organizing applications, I made one excel spreadsheet to help me decide between schools (categories: location, suitability for main interests A,B, and C, funding, and competitiveness...color coded, it was fun!), and one to keep track of each element of the application and when I'd sent it. I kept track of overall costs as part of the same program I use to keep track of all my spending.

I don't want to think about it. I was rejected across the board last year, so doing it twice is double the pain. Thank god my undergraduate institution does not charge for transcripts.

on the other hand, if you're lucky, it is possible to recoup this $$ (after a fashion) when schools pay your way to visit them. It still really sucked to be shelling out 1000+ when one's living at the poverty line. (and yes, I was another who forgot about GRE expenses, which would've pushed my poll vote into the next bracket).

Means that it's stuck to the top of the forums topics listing.

Yeah. I stickied it, I was curious to see, if, with a bigger sample size, $1k+ was still the most popular choice! I'll unsticky it at some point :P

I was originally interested in applying to business school. I took a GMAT prep course, visited a few schools (across the country), took the GMAT, then decided I wanted to do urban planning instead. I bought a GRE prep book, visited a school for UP (across the country), took the GRE, sent out 9 sets of transcripts from 3 different schools, GRE scores to 9 schools, overnighted an extra copy of my personal statement from LA to Boston. Add all that up and it's probably over $3k. Then of course all the destruction it caused in my personal life :wink: Academia is a bitch

Wow. It actually all came to less than I expected, even including the Barron's book, the cost of the GRE, the GRE score-reports (including one copy that went to a program I didn't even end up applying to), two last-minute cross-border parcels, and all of the admission-fees.

Oh, wait. I had to take the bus to the nearest actual city and stay overnight there at a hotel before taking the GRE, because even though I live in a university-town, there's no test-centre here. (Go figure.) That probably puts the figure higher than I thought. Darn. Now I don't want to think about it.

There's good news, you can write off these expenses on your Federal Taxes! Search for the IRS Form 8917 (Tuition and Fees Deduction) or ask the person that does your taxes. **If you already claim the IRS Form 8863 (Education Credits), you cannot claim the 8917**. I'm not a CPA, but it's worth looking into, I spent over $700 dollars applying to nine programs.

Applied and Accepted: Syracuse MPA, Brown MPP

Applied and Waiting for: Harvard MPP, William and Mary MPP, Chicago MPP, UMass Boston MSFA, Carnegie Mellon MPP, Georgetown MPP, Maryland MPP

Oh, gadhelyn, what a cruel, cruel poll. I had not realized until five minutes ago that this has cost me $1,064. Sigh.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Between test fees, transcript fees, app fees, and postage fees I feel like I would've done better to take myself for a road trip and forget PhD programs all together.

Here's the math break down for you:

We pay them to get in.

We pay them to go to school (occasionally they throw us a bone and pay for a bit)

We pay them to take thesis/dissertation credits

We pay them for the "publication" of said thesis/dissertation (which just means they bind it and rubber stamp our graduation app)

We pay them for the privilege of the owning the work that we did while we paid them for the privilege of writing/publishing the stuff.

We pay them to graduate.

According to the latest stats we have a 20% chance of becoming a professor, assuming we've even finished our dissertation. Why are we torturing ourselves over this stuff again?

Oh yah...because we're nutty and we actually like the subject. :mrgreen: