Anthropology Waiting/Results 2012

rowlf

no offense or anything, i'm definitely new to this process, but your post was entire about you. i've gotten the impression that its essential to make a connection with faculty members in the programs you apply to and to ensure that you are a good fit in terms of working with them and within the department. i think sometimes they are less concerned with how "stellar" you are and more concerned about the kind of contribution you would make to their community.

Edited by anxiousanthro

I originally wanted to apply for master's degrees, to get my feet wet and to make myself a more attractive candidate. When I told this to a few profs at my UG they all advised me against it. One was really blunt and told me that while my UG (no, I won't name it- not even in pm, and I've kept my eye out so it doesn't look like anyone here has made the fatal error) offers a master's degree on their website, they never actually admit those students and that they don't even look at the applications the adcom just rejects them! That was enough to convince me to go straight for the phd. When I asked why bother, she told me that a master's is basically useless and they do not want students to pay for a useless degree (who will then talk badly about the program) but they keep the option available for people who don't finish the phd and in times of emergency where the department cannot offer funding to phd students (take a few paying master's students and hope for funding to come in for those students to go on to the phd.)

If, however, you already have a master's, I don't thinnk it will hurt or help you... I just decided it wasn't worth applying for that step after what I was told. Oh, and I was also told NYU wants "fresh" candidates (students without master's already), but I have heard of them accepting some with the master's.

It's all a giant crap shoot really. Unless you are actually in the room with adcom's who can possibly know what they are thinking???

Jerzy- I Got my masters paid for and some offer funding for masters and some don't. Some schools want you to have a masters some don't. I know my school wants you to have a masters coming into a phd and won't accept phd students without it even though online they say they will.

Hey all,

If anyone's waiting for notifications from UVa: the visit weekend for prospective students is scheduled for 2/23-2/25. I don't know this officially, but I'm pretty sure that everyone being invited to that weekend will have been contacted by now.

(If you haven't been contacted, there's still hope; UVa often admits at least a few people who don't come to the visit weekend.)

Best of luck to all!

Just finished my application to NIU today and hoping to hear back soon.

I only applied to terminal Master's programs, but I'm really, really hoping I can get into one of them! I want to be able to get back into the swing of things and study my primates again!

I don't think you'll hear from NIU until March since the deadline is March 1st... are you hoping to work with Porter or Gebo?

Yep--they did say mid-February and when I called last week they said between mid and late February. Of course, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the results came out this week. It's strange that only one person got an email, especially since it's over embark and not just a personal email from a P.O.I.

The Brown acceptance was me.

WTF? No really, wtf, I am totally shocked. Thrilled and elated, but shocked. I wouldn't call myself "particularly impressive" either. This is my second year applying (went 0 for 6 last cycle) and I've gotten so many rejections over the past couple of years that it doesn't seem real that someone would accept me. Part of me thinks it's actually not real. But the e-mail came today that a decision had been made regarding my application. It directed me to the Embark site, where sure enough there's an acceptance letter with funding details. Holy. Crap. I thought I was a good fit, but have had minimal (though encouraging) e-mail contact with faculty. I didn't have an interview-- not sure who that was who posted it.

Congrats!! Do you mind telling us when you got the email? It seems like in past year they've sent out all the decisions at once. I'm wondering if they're going to send out rejections tomorrow morning.

The Brown acceptance was me.

WTF? No really, wtf, I am totally shocked. Thrilled and elated, but shocked. I wouldn't call myself "particularly impressive" either. This is my second year applying (went 0 for 6 last cycle) and I've gotten so many rejections over the past couple of years that it doesn't seem real that someone would accept me. Part of me thinks it's actually not real. But the e-mail came today that a decision had been made regarding my application. It directed me to the Embark site, where sure enough there's an acceptance letter with funding details. Holy. Crap. I thought I was a good fit, but have had minimal (though encouraging) e-mail contact with faculty. I didn't have an interview-- not sure who that was who posted it.

Thanks! I am going to call the department and confirm in the morning (part of me legitimately thinks it might have been an error)-- I'll ask whether they've sent out all acceptances. I honestly didn't have a top choice since I was rejected 100% last year and didn't want to get my hopes up. I want to visit campus and hear back from all my schools but I'd be elated to go to Brown. I got the e-mail around 230pm this afternoon.

Anyone applying to UofT? Heard anything? I've applied to University of Toronto's Social Anthropology MA program....applied in the beginning of November and have been waiting ever since! I know they only stopped accepting application on Jan 20 but does anyone know of a response timeline for them?

hello all! I thought I would quit lurking and join the conversation/slow&anxious exchange of information/whatever. hopefully my new life as a public data point will be of some kinda help.

i'm mostly waiting to hear back from duke. i dodged the first round of rejections, but also was not part of the interviews from a week or so back. i had a pleasant (though late-in-the-game) exchange with my POI in december, so hopefully that counts for good karma points? anyways, awaiting word.

I'm also hoping to hear back from johns hopkins, harvard, princeton, and u chicago (in that order of preference). i have no idea how competitive i have for any of this (some stats are not sogreat, some seem fine) so crossing my fingers/making sacrifices to the deities of Good Fit/etc.

takecareall