University of Chicago

InquilineKea

There's very affordable housing around Hyde Park that isn't owned by the university. Some of it may be a little out of the way, but the prices are usually better, and the walk isn't too bad, plus the pet rules are more flexible. I highly encourage you to check out http://marketplace.uchicago.edu/ for apartments.

WAT!  They have breed bans?!  How did I miss that?  What breeds are forbidden?

Direct quote from University housing "Pet Policy" addendum:

"Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, Doberman Pinchers, Rottweilers, Chows, Presa Canarios, Akitas, Wolf Hybrids, and Huskies are specifically prohibited pets in University owned housing."

(I'm plenty familiar with the undeserved rep of bully breeds... but huskies and akitas?! Ugh.)

Queen of Kale (and anyone else)-- if you go with Chicago, and will likewise be accompanied by a disgraced brute, we should keep each other posted on more welcoming (I want to say enlightened) housing leads...

• 1 month later...

anyone decide to do statistics in uchicago. I've seen some people being accepted. it's a good idea to know each other first

I will be doing masters in statistics at uchicago! Glad to find someone else :)

Hi all! From Portland and heading to Chicago for a humanities PhD. I've heard that Hyde Park does not have the best amenities and was wondering what options there were in terms of fresh produce and such. Are there any farmer's markets or similar venues for vegetables such as, say, fresh kale? Or do people have to commute for this? If that were the case, is having a bike enough? Thanks for all the help!!

The two main places to buy fresh produce in Hyde Park are located to the northeast of the university. One is Hyde Park Produce (located on 53rd and Woodlawn in Kimbark Plaza), and the other is Treasure Island (along 55th and South Lake Park). I've never looked for fresh kale in HPP, but it would not surprise me if they don't have it. Treasure Island might, however, as they have a better selection.

A bike is enough to get to either of these places. You can do it by foot too via public transit.

I think there's a farmer's market that sometimes sets up a little south of 60th street. I went there three years ago and promptly forgot its location ... selection was all right, but it wasn't all that great.

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to bet at Chicago for CIR this fall and I wanted to see if any other CIR/MAPSS students were on here.

I know a lot of people who went to Chicago and I heard you can find some really good deals on apartments and stuff, but that it could be a little tricky (a few blocks can make a huge difference.)

I wanted to see if anyone else was interested in finding an apartment together.  I'm currently abroad but have a friend at Chicago who could help us find a great deal on an apartment.  I heard about people getting apartments for $375-400 per room INCLUDING bills but only if you have at least one or two roommates.

Since it seems like the program will be intense, and since most of us have similar interets, I think it would be a good idea for us exchange emails/Skype before fall.

If anyone's interested please email me at cirguy2014@gmail.com or send me a PM.

Peace.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey guys, moving to attend the DOVA for an MFA and need help finding apartments that allow bully breeds! Breed restrictions on graduate housing is insane, I know I'm not the only one imagining on top of everything now we have to trekk miles in the snow to let our babies out to pee....

Anyone also looking for the closest non-breed restrictive housing to Hyde Park? Share any leads!