Brown University

InquilineKea

Hi all, I'm just starting to look for a place. May I ask what the "Brown graduate housing boards" are (as quoted below)? My current institution had a forum for incoming grad students to find roommates and discuss such matters, is this what the boards are? 

I assume my department's visiting day will be a decent time to look around and try to find roommates and such, but I don't necessarily want to live with people in my department... variety is nice. It also looks like a lot of people are looking at single bedroom places, but it also looks like a lot of nice places exceed the recommended rent-to-income ratio... having never lived alone, is it worth having a worse place to myself or a much nicer shared space? 

Hi PiTwoComplete, I'm not sure if you've already been to Brown for your visiting day since you posted a few weeks ago, but here are the graduate housing boards that are mentioned above:

http://brown.edu/Administration/Auxiliary_Housing/Listings/

It's not a forum as much as a mini Craigslist specifically for Brown affiliates. If you do end up coming here to Brown you can search for a roommate by sending out an e-mail to the grad student list host in summer. I live with my partner so I don't have an opinion on the roommate situation, but I can definitely suggest neighborhoods and/or specific streets to consider based on your preferences, if you're interested!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in! So, classes start on Aug 30th, right? When are y'all planning on moving to Prov?

I know the area pretty well as I've lived there before, but I'm moving from London this time around. Thinking I'll head over early-mid August to get settled.

• 3 months later...

So I'm moving out on July 31st and need to sell my stuff (furniture, utensils, microwave, etc) by then. Does anyone know of any venues where I can sell the stuff? I know of the grad student listserv, but any other options?