Sh*t people say when you are applying to grad school

Clou12

"Music theory...? What's that?"

Usually followed shortly thereafter with: "Umm... what are you going to do with that PhD?"

And of course, the one everyone gets, "Oh purpledinosaur, I'm sure you'll get in EVERYWHERE!" Usually spoken in an infantilizing tone of voice.

"Music theory...? What's that?"

Usually followed shortly thereafter with: "Umm... what are you going to do with that PhD?"

And of course, the one everyone gets, "Oh purpledinosaur, I'm sure you'll get in EVERYWHERE!" Usually spoken in an infantilizing tone of voice.

YO PURPLEDINOSAUR COME TO THE MUSIC FORUM! Also you're a fellow Chicago admit???????? Yay!!

Uhh sorry, a bit off-topic...

Yes, no one knows what music theory is, even though I think most high schools offer it as a course.

YO PURPLEDINOSAUR COME TO THE MUSIC FORUM! Also you're a fellow Chicago admit???????? Yay!!

Uhh sorry, a bit off-topic...

Yes, no one knows what music theory is, even though I think most high schools offer it as a course.

Music Forum??? What? Where?? Sorry, I'm such a noob. I'll be there as soon as I find it! :)

I gave up explaining linguistics as well.

Before:

- Hey there, what are you applying for?

- Linguistics, historical/comparative.

- The same as your BA and MA?

- Yeah.

- So... is that a science or what? How many languages do you speak? You're going to be a translator, right?

- :AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH:

After:

- Languages.

- Which one?

- All of them.

- Cool.

It's easier.

Edited by wlkwih2

"Also, my grandma, who is super excited about the idea of someone in the family going to grad school ("We've never had a Dr. ___!") keeps trying to "help" me by trying to get me to contact her friends. "Well, I once met the wife of Dr. So-and-so (in completely unrelated field), and I think he's emeritus (she's forgetten he's a little bit deceased)- you HAVE to call him and tell him you know me. He'll get you in!" I love her, but I've given up trying to explain how admissions works, and that art history and phschiatry aren't likely to be done by they same post-emeritus (late) professor."

This. My Dad is a prof. emeritus at UW Madison. In agricultural economics. For some reason people think that this fact makes me an 'automatic admission' to religion programs. in Chicago. i somehow doubt those departments communicate very much.

i also get the old, "Why didn't you apply to UW Madison? You're a prof's daughter, both your parents went there, you're a LEGACY, they HAVE to let you in!" *facepalm*

Tho' my grandparents are very excited about the prospect of a second "Dr. F" in the family. so that's nice.

Also my husband's absolute faith, while wonderful, can sometimes wear on me. While i pray to be accepted to a single program, he assumes i'll be causing a bidding war between schools. He even went out and bought me a Nook when i started applying. "Here honey," he said. "You'll need this for textbooks."

i just don't share his optimism.

Before:

- Yeah.

- So... is that a science or what? How many languages do you speak? You're going to be a translator, right?

After:

- Languages.

- Which one?

- All of them.

- Cool.

It's easier.

I find that if I explain that linguists do the work that makes speech-to-text software and automated phone systems work, they get that it's a sciency+technical thing. Try that.

Definitely trying this! Love it. Sometimes when explaining sociolinguistics I say, well, I studied psychology during my undergrad. Sociology & psychology are not uhh unrelated. Oh & I studied French so, you know, that's like linguistics. So there you have sociolinguistics. I'm going to use French to read your mind. ;)

I find that if I explain that linguists do the work that makes speech-to-text software and automated phone systems work, they get that it's a sciency+technical thing. Try that.

I get introduced to a lot of new people where I work, so I get some good reactions just stating that I studied Sociology and Philosophy as an undergraduate.

"..sosa....sos....sosacology? I know what Philosophy is... I think."

"Oh... I have a friend who's a psychiatrist. Is that something you can go to med school for?"

"I knew a guy who had a master's in Psychology. He worked for FedEx after he graduated. Actually, he still works for FedEx come to think of it."

"...since you studied psych-... er, whatever..."

"Are those the people that do social experiments?"

"What do you do with that?" - The classic. It gets one of two answers: 1. Reach Enlightenment 2. Develop as a perceptive and articulate human being. Each gets a response of cautious, confused laughter.

Them: So you're are you going to stay in [insert geographic area of undergrad school]

Me: No, none of the schools in [insert geographic area of undergrad school] have good programs for my specific field

Them: So where are you applying?

Me: Schools X, Y, Z etc...

Them: Oh wow some of those are pretty far away and different from [insert geographic area of undergrad school]

Me: Yeah I just want to go to Stanford because the weather is nicer in California...

A few things I've heard so far:

Why do you need more school?

What's <field name?> that's in medicine right? No, still sounds tough.

You still won't be able to find a job.

Are you sure this is what you want? When you were 3 you changed your mind a lot in what you wanted to be when you grew up too.

Your grades suck, you can't talk to people and you're stupid; you'll never get in anywhere unless they make a mistake.

Now you'll never get married.

You don't know anyone at School X, you'll never be accepted there. It's like a job. Connections are everything.

Are you sure that invite letter is real and not a scam email? Like the Craigslist murderer? Can't trust the computer.

Why didn't they contact you through mail? I hope it isn't a scam! I bet the rejections are a scam! You never applied there in the first place; it was an information-collecting mill.

Parent: I don't care, you're bringing me to that grad dinner or I'll be very hurt. I can be a guest. Anyway, I want to see that school. Please don't run away from me...

Are you sure that invite letter is real and not a scam email? Like the Craigslist murderer? Can't trust the computer.

Why didn't they contact you through mail? I hope it isn't a scam! I bet the rejections are a scam! You never applied there in the first place; it was an information-collecting mill.

Haha, what.

Also, my grandma, who is super excited about the idea of someone in the family going to grad school ("We've never had a Dr. ___!") keeps trying to "help" me by trying to get me to contact her friends. "Well, I once met the wife of Dr. So-and-so (in completely unrelated field), and I think he's emeritus (she's forgetten he's a little bit deceased)- you HAVE to call him and tell him you know me. He'll get you in!"

Also my husband's absolute faith, while wonderful, can sometimes wear on me. While i pray to be accepted to a single program, he assumes i'll be causing a bidding war between schools.

awwww... that is just so sweet. I can't decide who's lovelier - grandma or hubby - you are both two lucky human beings!

My dad: "What will you be researching?"

Me: Something about CFD and modelling

My dad: "OK, I'm going to tell my friends that you're moving away to pursue modelling"

Haha! We'll all be looking forward to seeing you in journals and magazines! Well, I guess that might not have been the publication your dad was thinking of...? :D Love this.

These people encouraging all of you to go to law school must not have read the stats on the current employment situation for new law school grads.

Truth! The costs of law school are prohibitive virtually everywhere and the job market has declined dramatically in the last decade or so. Not an easy path.

Before:

- Yeah.

After:

- Languages.

- Which one?

- All of them.

- Cool.

It's easier.

Hahaha!!!! This literally made my day.

I'm sorry no one knows what linguistics is.

No one knows what art history is either. That's why I made my site. The big one I get is that I can actually make art. ... Nope, not what that means! Key word: history! Haha :)