Public Policy PhD - Any Admissions Results?

All right, folks. This is post #1 for me. I think I fit the the textbook definition of an avid lurker. As such, I am taking the bull by the horns and ending my pathetic lurking streak with what will most likely become a boring and rather insipid post.

So, I applied to several Public Policy PhD programs and haven't heard anything back yet. In particular, I wanted to know if anyone has heard anything from Cal, University of Maryland at College Park or Duke. I heard that most of these places do phone interviews and from the results page, my understanding is that in previous years applicants selected for phone interviews (for said schools) were notified on or around the last week of January.

Any insight that folks have would be most welcome!

I threw in* an application to UMD, but haven't heard anything yet. Looking at last year's results, they seem to let the applicants sleep well only after mid-March.

Note: "threw in" because this wasn't my top choice (for various reasons) and had to submit my application on the last day because I was on the road for two weeks before that. I am fairly certain that the Adcom is lauging at my SOP as we speak!

Bend Rn Bender and 50_50, thanks for the responses! Yeah, the wait is brutal but hey, it's all good! I just don't know if there are many folks applying to PhD programs in Public Policy. It's most definitely not a traditional area for doctoral studies and for some of the programs I applied to, I had to specify a concentration area (e.g., political science, economics etc.). I also don't plan on parlaying the degree into academia; rather, I would like to use it to help get a higher-level policy analysis job in the field of international relations.

BenRn Bender, I appreciate the solidarity! 50_50, yeah, I had a couple of those "throw ins" as well. Unlike you, I am absolutely certain that the adcoms are laughing at my SOPs and pretty much every other aspect of my application!

Anyway, best of luck to you both. I'm off to a lunch reception where copious amounts of wine will be imbibed!

Oh my God, I am not alone! Guys, I applied in Public Policy for Duke, SUNY Albany and UMich and in Public Administration for Syracuse and NYU. No answers so far. And my girl was already accepted at berkeley (other area). And I am from brazil and should be enjoying the summer instead of looking my e-mail. And I already started a PhD in here and should be studying instead of checking my e-mail.

Good luck for you, guys!

Marchesini, you da man. You started a PhD in Brazil while applying to others in the U.S. Really, a great move because no matter what happens with your application to U.S. programs, you're already in one! Plus, to be honest, Rio is much cooler than all the other places you could potentially live with the possible exception of Albany - just kidding!!

Tough situation to be in with your mulher but I'm sure things will work out for the best. Please do keep us posted if you hear anything back from the schools you applied to. As for me, I haven't heard anything. I pretty much applied to the same places you did (with the exception of Albany!) and will definitely post when I start hearing back from places.

A question to you and anyone else who reads this thread - has anyone been contacted for phone interviews for Public Policy/Administration PhD programs from Michigan, NYU, Syracuse, Maryland, Duke or Cal?

Very nice post, Public Policy PhD! I hope that, if not accepted in the same universities, we can meet for a beer in a congress or something.

No interviews so far. And if an interview doesn´t mean "just a formality before accept you", I prefer this way. I actually also applied for Government at Cornell and Political Science at UCSD, because of specific professors who interest me.

PS: My girl is killing me! Today she was accepted for French and italian studies at Stanford!

Marchesini, as I stated in my previous post, you da man. Of course, a brahma would work just fine anytime!

Sounds like the admissions process is treating your girlfriend very well. Of course, I wish you and everyone on this site the best! I am still playing the waiting game but per 50_50's post above, it looks like at least for some schools I won't hear back for another month or so. Anyway, is there a particular prof that you are interested in working with at UCSD?

Dammy - sounds good. Thanks for sharing. I don;t knwo much about the Pardee RAND program but I think there is another thread on Grad Cafe that explains a little more about it. If you don;t mind me asking, what are your research interests within public policy? I heard Michigan's program is really strong.

@Public Policy PhD,

As far as UMD is concerned, I have not heard anything. The status in the online system (testudo) says, "Decision pending".

(I don't know why certain schools make decisions so slow. Is it because: (i) they want to send the decision and funding package, if any, together, or (ii) they are not the best in the field and hope to "pick up" students who have likely been rejected elsewhere? Looking at results from 2011, schools with the same deadline seem to send decisions weeks apart. This might be a good topic for PhD research. :))

@Public Policy Phd

My research interests are in health policy. I'm very nervous about Michigan, it was my first application, my statements were too long and not really good. I'm trying to stay positive though. Michigan is tough to get into! I have a masters in economics, so I'm hoping that helps my chances a lil. What about you?

50_50, Brutal! Yeah, who knows why some schools take so long to get back to you. However, I asbolutely concur that it would be a tremedous topic for PhD research! Best of luck with the UMD program - I'll definitely let you know if I hear anything from them. Also, I must admit that the name of their online system is pretty amazing! I think it's the name of the mascot (a turtle).

Dammy, yeah, the Michigan program has a great reputation. With a master's in economics, it's seems to me like you are already a great candidate. I think we are all a little critical of our own statements in applications; however, once we get in, we'll look back at those statements and admire how masterful they really were! I'm interested generally in U.S. Foreign Policy and would be thrilled to get into any of the schools I applied to!

Anyway, as always, I will let folks know if I hear so much as a peep from any school I applied to. To this point, I have not been contacted for any phone interview at Michigan, NYU, Syracuse, Maryland, Duke or Cal. Has anyone else? Of course, I'm not sure if any of these schools even do phone interviews.

Thanks for the support, BendRnBender. Actually my I think my only chances are at SUNY-Albany and Syracuse. I think both will give their answer until the end of February, but I really would love to know something faster. SUNY-Albany gave the answers in 2011 in February 9, as far as I could see in the results search.

Good weekend for you!

Great news: I received unofficial email informing admission at SUNY Albany! The official email should come today or tomorrow.

My carnival is safe!!!

Is Albany that bad to live? What about SUNY? Everything I know came from websites.

Good luck guys! Let me know your results.

Great news: I received unofficial email informing admission at SUNY Albany! The official email should come today or tomorrow.

My carnival is safe!!!

Is Albany that bad to live? What about SUNY? Everything I know came from websites.

Good luck guys! Let me know your results.

Nice! Doesn't look good for me then....bummer

Congratulations to all those who have been accepted! It's exciting news.

I'm in fingernail-biting limbo here. I applied to the PhD in Policy Studies at Ryerson and am eagerly awaiting results. Does anyone here have an idea about when they'll start sending acceptances. Survey results suggest mid-March, but who knows, right?

Hey Marchesini, para bens!! I know SUNY Albany has a great public policy program and am also familiar with their international development work. I've been traveling for work so it's been difficult to get back to this thread. Nevertheless, you deserve a nice Brahma, my friend!

Mcdonaad, I haven't heard anything about admissions decisions at Ryerson but good luck to you!

Hey Marchesini, para bens!! I know SUNY Albany has a great public policy program and am also familiar with their international development work. I've been traveling for work so it's been difficult to get back to this thread. Nevertheless, you deserve a nice Brahma, my friend!

Mcdonaad, I haven't heard anything about admissions decisions at Ryerson but good luck to you!

Thank you, Public Policy PhD. You can be sure that I am taking my share of the Brahmas. But I am also hoping to hear more good news for me and for you.