Ft. Collins, CO

Guest Sandra

I'm starting graduate school at CSU this summer/fall but have already spent a summer there doing research.

@fall13applicant: Fort Collins is awesome, and it's certainly more of a college town than an urban city like Denver. The downtown and campus are both quite nice. Plenty of restaurants (see, for example, this site), including Indian food. Not sure about hangouts, clubs, etc., but this site might have some useful information. The $1700 monthly stipend should be more than enough to cover living expenses depending on your lifestyle. From what I've seen, rent can be as low as $400/month if you aren't too picky. As far as international student housing is concerned, you might want to check out the "International House" university housing at CSU.

@MrOtrebla: During my campus visit, one student recommended this site (CSU internal rental/roommate search; requires EID and password to log in). There's also Craigslist (can't vouch for the legitimacy of posts there, of course). Also, feel free to P-M me, as I might be looking for a roommate as well!

@buffalowizard: Thanks so much, those were some really helpful links man! I'll definitely let you know if I decide to join CSU.

In the mean time can you tell me how's Fort Collins and Colorado for that matter in terms of internships for software folks? Are there software offices in and around FoCo?

I'm starting graduate school at CSU this summer/fall but have already spent a summer there doing research.

@fall13applicant: Fort Collins is awesome, and it's certainly more of a college town than an urban city like Denver. The downtown and campus are both quite nice. Plenty of restaurants (see, for example, this site), including Indian food. Not sure about hangouts, clubs, etc., but this site might have some useful information. The $1700 monthly stipend should be more than enough to cover living expenses depending on your lifestyle. From what I've seen, rent can be as low as $400/month if you aren't too picky. As far as international student housing is concerned, you might want to check out the "International House" university housing at CSU.

@MrOtrebla: During my campus visit, one student recommended this site (CSU internal rental/roommate search; requires EID and password to log in). There's also Craigslist (can't vouch for the legitimacy of posts there, of course). Also, feel free to P-M me, as I might be looking for a roommate as well!

Yeah, I've been navigating craigslist for a while but I just get nothing but bad vibes from there. The website looks great but I'll have to get in contact with CSU Admissions to find out if I have a CSU EID or not. Or if I obtain one after the April 15 date.

I'll pm at some point in mid April if I do decide on CSU. Thanks a bunch!

For those that have questions regarding CSU or Fort Collins, I can help. I am currently doing my undergrad here and I have many graduate student friends, so I am somewhat familiar with the graduate community here. Also, I am an international student if any other international students have any questions. 

I have lived in Ft. Collins for 11 of my 30 years. It is a fantastic place to be and you will love it here. Housing prices are reasonable, as well, especially if you find the right roommates (significantly more expensive if you need to live alone). For a 3 bedroom, you can find a college house shit-hole for $1000/month, and a decent place slightly further from campus with a yard and garden for $1500/month.

If you are into outdoor activities - hiking, rock climbing, backpacking, snowshoeing, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, camping - then you have access to the best America has to offer.

• 1 month later...

Bumping because I'm also moving there.

I have over 2000 stipend but I have bills to pay so I want something reasonable from 600-800.  Right now I can't find anything that's available.  All the online listings from realtors have places already leased.  I did see some nice places in Loveland.  I was wondering if anyone has any opinion about living or commuting to Loveland?  I'm a walker and I would own a bike but I don't have experience riding bikes in populated areas so I've concluded I'll be using my car to get around anyways.  My issue is finding a 1 bedroom place that allows pets and I just see more affordable options in Loveland.  I definitely don't want to be near the college kids because I need a quiet place, I have been known to report noise violations on neighbors before.  I get mixed reviews about the Old Town area, that some areas are more quiet and famiy oriented and some aren't.  My department is in the northern part of campus but I'm only finding good places south of campus.

Being from a big city, I'm assuming I'm not going to have as much fun or options to choose from, but I love the outdoors and hiking (I don't do any outdoor sports).  I was curious how accessible the nature areas are?  Are people actually able to explore the mountains off the beaten path?  I hope that wasn't a stupid question but I do have a photography hobby and love nature shots.  However I also know this may be difficult, I'm a bit of loner and I understand it may not be safe to hike alone here.  I do a lot of solo traveling and exploring however, I never found enough information about solo traveling in Fort Collins.

Edited by SensLu

Don't move to Loveland. And yes, you will have absolutely no problem accessing majestic natural wonders on your own.

haha, thanks for your straight and to the point response.  So I'm guessing Loveland is a dump?

Not a dump but nowhere near as interesting as ft Collins. And why give yourself the commute? Its not like ft Collins is significantly more expensive, and you could bike to campus literally from anywhere in town.

I'm trying to find places that aren't expensive without roommates and allows pets.  Based on my current search, those places aren't available in Fort Collins.  And I went to a school where most people commute so I don't have an issue with commuting.  And I already stated I'm not much of a biker, especially not in crowded cities.  I'm not the type of person that needs to live where all the action is.

SensLu, I think it's fine to choose Loveland if it's better for your budget and other preferences (I'm in a similar position--I need my own place as well as somewhere that allows pets). I mean, it's only a 30 minute commute from Loveland to Ft. Collins. I don't think you'll have a problem.

• 5 years later...

I’m looking to relocate to Fort Collins/Loveland area and am seeking advice/have some questions for anyone who lives that way with knowledge about the SLP field. 

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 9:05 PM, mmmmcoffee said:

Bumping this thread for this year!

Just got into CSU and hoping to learn more about the area. Any places I need to see when I visit?

Congrats! I'm not a Fort Collins native (from Denver) but I visited a lot last year and I also am waiting to hear back on my application to CSU! 

So I mainly know more about the nature side (pros of dating a forester) - there's a LOT of nature-y things to do in Fort Collins. There's Rocky Mountain National Park, Horsetooth Reservoir, the Poudre River, so the best place to visit just kinda depends on when you're visiting. Old Town is a really fun place to go and walk around, there's a lot of good restaurants in Fort Collins. I recommend going to Waltzing Kangaroo - they're Australian meat pies, and are so. good.