bgk

Results System: Features you'd like to see?

Maybe divide results into more general, browse-able categories, such as Biology, Physics, English, Philosophy, Comp Sci, etc, etc

The ability to comment on a posting (on a thread that you would have to click to) would be nice too.

Also a category for MA/PhD programs would be nice. I know you can note it in the comments (and I would if I had applied to an MA/PhD and been accepted to MA), but it would help people know how many slots were left this application season in the PhD program if they knew that someone who got accepted was actually not starting their PhD that year. Not to mention it lets people who applied to the MA/PhD program know how that's going.

Has something been changed with regards to the results search? All of a sudden, my searches for "art history" are now netting results for lots of non art history programs.

Something had changed. We moved the results system to a new server, the configuration was a bit different. I think I've got it all working correctly now.

Hey all, I'm not an admin, but I think I have answers to some questions. Or I just misunderstand the question, which happens often.

A way to filter out Master's versus PhD results. As of yet I haven't found a completely reliable way to do this.

I just use the search function. So, for example, if you type in "english phd," you get only people who have applied to English programs, and the results have PhD in them (either straight PhD or MA/PhD).

//thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=english+phd&t=a&o=

Maybe divide results into more general, browse-able categories, such as Biology, Physics, English, Philosophy, Comp Sci, etc, etc

The ability to comment on a posting (on a thread that you would have to click to) would be nice too.

Again, you can use the search function to sort out responses to only those subjects. If you type in "biology," you can filter the responses so you only have biology-related posts.

//thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=biology&t=a&o=&pp=25

Sorry if these questions were already answered or if I have misunderstood :unsure:. Just trying to be helpful ^_^.

I agree with the poster above, allowing people to say their country/city rather than American / International provides more information. Plus it is confusing with Canadian universities where some Canadians mark themselves as International because they're not American but they're obviously not "international" according to the university. Stating ones city is also important because I think some universities may be interested in students that live within the universities' city.

I have repeatedly found schools listed under various spellings and names that don't come up within the same search, if I'm searching for that school specifically. I might, however, find the same school under another spelling if I search by major.

There should be a drop down list or better, more specific instructions for inputting school information, especially when there are multiple campuses by different names or when they are located in different cities. This way we'll be able to accuratly find all results for a single school.

University of Washington is a good example, as they have campuses in both Seattle and Tacoma. This school is often refered to U of W, and that creates a problem as well.

I would also be great if there was a way to vote, poll, or confirm from users which school naming is correct or most accurate,so other school names can be pushed out of the system.

I think that clicking "date" should sort by date notified while "date added" should be clickable, and which will then sort by date added. It doesn't make sense to me that clicking on "date" for the date modified column then sorts by date added.

I have repeatedly found schools listed under various spellings and names that don't come up within the same search, if I'm searching for that school specifically. I might, however, find the same school under another spelling if I search by major.

There should be a drop down list or better, more specific instructions for inputting school information, especially when there are multiple campuses by different names or when they are located in different cities. This way we'll be able to accuratly find all results for a single school.

University of Washington is a good example, as they have campuses in both Seattle and Tacoma. This school is often refered to U of W, and that creates a problem as well.

I would also be great if there was a way to vote, poll, or confirm from users which school naming is correct or most accurate,so other school names can be pushed out of the system.

Agreed. I'm actually working on this ... It's kind of a precursor to doing anything more useful.

Manage peoples choices and expectations a little more. Try to make these things more opt-out than opt-in. I don't think you should necessarily make GPA and scores required to post, but it might be useful if a little message box came up and say "Oh, we've noticed you haven't filled out your GPA and GRE scores. While we don't make you fill these in, we know that other applicants would appreciate knowing. Please consider going back and filling them in ((Go Back)) ((Submit))". Also some subjective way to indicate the kind of undergraduate institution gone to from a very limited description.(Well Known Private School, Flagship Public School, Other Public School, Other Private School) but make it so all the choices are more positive sounding, I'm not sure how "other" plays...

I don't think there's any good way to connect the results to the forum (I think the norm here is just to post a thread, "Anyone want to claim that?") and I think that's good. The more comfortable people feel doing it anonymously and without registering, the more likely they are to do it. I had at least one friend who never registered but posted her results. If she had to register to do so, she probably wouldn't have. Making it one click to set up an RSS might be useful, too. "Want reminders for this search?" Or have it set up so it will email you when someone submits.

Maybe updating the "how were you contacted" thing as well, because at lot of people ask that.

For international students, comparing GPA's may lead to confusion. For example, my GPA was 5.5 out of 7.0, which translated to the American system is about 3.14 (a bad number for US schools, a great number for my school!). However, I was within the best 15% of my class, and I think that number is much more useful than my converted GPA.

I think that users should have the ability to msg the person who posted to ask specific questions about either their acceptance or rejection.

If this, it should be an anonymous system, in case the poster of the results does not wish to be easily identifiable.

I think that users should have the ability to msg the person who posted to ask specific questions about either their acceptance or rejection.

This. It's so awkward to submit a whole new "result" in hopes that that person will check back and respond to you. Maybe this can go with the earlier suggestion of allowing people's usernames to show up next to their results...

It will help a lot if we had Master's GPA section for students applying for PhD programs. That will give true intuition of their admission. Hope this helps.

The biggest issue (or non-issue) I've noticed with the results system is people tend to fill the form by their variations, especially for college names.

This naming ubiquity causes minor search problems with public/private institutions that are based on a city name or state, ie, few examples of the case in point:

University of Washington

George Washington University

Univ of WA

CSULB

CSU Long Beach

California State University - Long Beach

California State - LB

UCLA

University of California - Los Angeles

etc, as you can see from above, it's mostly schools with an unique name (Cornell, Yale, Stanford, etc) that are not affected, but the rest somewhat are.

I might surmise for guests who are searching for results, they may have to play around with various fields in order to find the proper data or not find information altogether.

A workaround I've been using is simply the state name, which then catches most of everything except for the abbreviations.

For a real solution, it's probably much more difficult. I've thought it could be as simple as to implement a "state" field, with pre-filled state selections, to reduce user input errors. Make it mandatory to select a state in order to complete the form submission.

Though I don't know if this code will have any impact against the existing database, which I am sure the admins want to preserve properly.

Edit: I re-read the thread and saw it's been brought up in March, I hope this input may have some value for the 2013 revamp.

Edited by gaidensensei

This naming ubiquity causes minor search problems with public/private institutions that are based on a city name or state, ie, few examples of the case in point:

University of Washington

George Washington University

Univ of WA

Clearly this is confusing, since the 1st and 3rd are the same school (although I've never seen it written the latter way), but the 2nd is not! And who knows whether someone actually meant Washington University (St Louis) or Washington State University (Pullman, WA) instead of any of those. These sorts of things drive me nuts in the results. I think maintaining these sorts of links correctly would eb almost a full time job unto itself though, since people find many new and creative ways to indicate (or misunderstand) where they are applying!

Edited by Usmivka

I am not sure whether this has previously been mentioned by other users, but I think that a "time" indicator can be added to the results page that demonstrates when a user enters an admission decision. This time indicator might be for a specific timezone.