bgk

Results System: Features you'd like to see?

I ditto the requests for a way to contact results submitters. I tried leaving a note in the form of a result submission and it was removed.

There needs to be a way to communicate with them and/or get people who simply submit results to join the forum.

Along the mention of time indicators: 

1. Time that you were notified (i.e. did you get a bot email overnight vs a business day email)

2. Timestamp the entry

Yes, it's stalker-like info, but aren't we all just THAT crazy to know these things right now? I mean I'm constantly wondering if it's safe to stop checking my email like a crazy person at 5 pm, or if a bot will email me at 2 am. Some people put this stuff up in the notes, but it would be pretty cool to start to form a pattern of that info for myself from others. 

2. I would also add to the "numbers" section masters GPA. I know a good number of us have a master's degree already and my guess is those grades are more meaningful to admissions committees than our undergraduate grades, especially if it's been a long while since you graduated initially.

Seconding this!

Along the mention of time indicators: 

1. Time that you were notified (i.e. did you get a bot email overnight vs a business day email)

2. Timestamp the entry

Yes, it's stalker-like info, but aren't we all just THAT crazy to know these things right now? I mean I'm constantly wondering if it's safe to stop checking my email like a crazy person at 5 pm, or if a bot will email me at 2 am. Some people put this stuff up in the notes, but it would be pretty cool to start to form a pattern of that info for myself from others. 

Definitely would like to see both of these time items. I agree it does help with stalking :P  but it's great to get a sense when schools/programs are sending out decisions. I know for one of my applications my program sends out decisions at about 3PM but another department in the same school sends out decisions at 1PM. So it's interesting and helpful to all the people going crazy as to when decisions may go out.

My votes:

- Standardize school names, as others have mentioned - this would be my top priority.

- Make stats more noticable to cut down on people who don't know about mousing over the red diamond and are asking others to post stats

- Find a way to weed out the people using the results forum to converse - perhaps text directing them to the forums if they have questions, and discouraging using the results page to ask questions of other users?

Sorely lacking is an ability to communicate with another poster on the results page.

As a result you get a lot of people "posting results" that are literally just "hey, previous entry guy, what was your gpa?"

The Results page isn't meant to be a way for people to communicate. We are well aware that people use it that way but, the communication part is why we have the forum.

Understood, but it would be so nice if we could somehow get in touch with the people who submit results but do not identify themselves in the forum. I understand wanting to keep the anonymity, and forcing someone to register may deter them from entering their results, but I think many of us would like to see some way of reaching submitters. Surely there is a way to do this.

Yeah, i wish there was an option to post results using your account so that the username would show. I understand some people prefer staying anonymous, but I think quite a few of us are willing to be open and hopefully help others in similar positions.  When posters include stats, I can usually make an educated guess as to which user it is by matching the GPA/GRE/school to the information in the signature, but it would be nice to have an official system for this.

Good work so far, it's the most useful feature of this site!

I realise this is non-trivial, but adding a commenting system to results entries would be great. That way people could have discussion centred on a particular entry rather than cluttering up future entries. 

Also, putting results under an account would be great - and then offering the ability to edit results would be great. I've realised belatedly that some of my submissions would benefit from additional clarification. 

Time permitting, I am hoping for a follow-up concerning requests to allow contact of users who have made submissions. If there is a way to make this anonymous--for example, through having a "contact poster" link that opens a page to send a private message to the individual, without his/her (the poster's) online handle being identified.

One alternative to this could be a more organized posting of results threads amongst the disciplines. Just some ideas.

Thanks!

For PhD results, please add area of interest of the applicant as I feel PhD accepts/rejects are really specific to ones area of interest inside a particular department.

Edited by neeraj196

Hello everybody!

For me, the system lacks the following:

1) Adequate filters with filtering by every column

2) More information about profile of the applicants (e.g. new columns: GPA, papers, projects, work experience, GRE, TOEFL, etc.). Because it is very important to understand what you need to be admitted.

3) Separate columns "Decision Date", "Decision", "Decision Notification Method"

4) Some contact information about the application (username on the forum, email, skype, etc.)

Hello everybody!

For me, the system lacks the following:

1) Adequate filters with filtering by every column

2) More information about profile of the applicants (e.g. new columns: GPA, papers, projects, work experience, GRE, TOEFL, etc.). Because it is very important to understand what you need to be admitted.

3) Separate columns "Decision Date", "Decision", "Decision Notification Method"

4) Some contact information about the application (username on the forum, email, skype, etc.)

For #2, honestly I think this is irrelevant information.  Not sure how it works internationally, but here in North America graduate school admissions are very idiosyncratic, even within the same department.  I mean, Student A might have published 3 papers and had a 4.0 GPA.  Student B might have zero publications, a 3.1 GPA, but a solid research project.  Student C has an MS degree, five years of "real world" work experience, but a low GRE score.  All three are admitted to the same program.  What does this say about admissions?  Nothing other than it takes all types. 

Edited by Crucial BBQ

it would be nice if you can go in and edit them, and provide updates, as opposed to having to create an entirely new result.

also, I wish more people would post their stats, which I think is just as useful, if not more useful than the time of notification and application status. I don't understand why people would not want to post these stats. They're anonymous anyway, and the stats would be a big help to people who are trying to see where they place within the application pool, considering few programs publish their admission statistics. I vote that we make at least the GPA section a required parameter, I don't really care about the GRE, but I know some schools use it as a weed out stat, so that would be extremely helpful too.

and I think people are underestimating the weight of the GPA. Yes, research is important, but it's hard to summarize your research qualifications with one sentence. I've seen results where the notes indicate several 1st author pubs, and the person was still rejected. GPA, on the other hand, is much easier (it's just a number), and obviously schools put a lot of weight on it. If we make the GPA a required section, it'll be a small change, with a large benefit for a lot of people.

lastly, it would be nice to organize the results section into a real database, where the schools and majors you select is actually a drop down list, as opposed to just typing in an individual entry. That would open the possibility of trending people's stats on a graph, and form a convenient bell curve. I mean this might be a lot more trouble than it's worth, but I'm just thinking out loud here. If we get enough entries, it would certainly be interesting to see something like that.

Edited by spectastic

also, I wish more people would post their stats, which I think is just as useful, if not more useful than the time of notification and application status. I don't understand why people would not want to post these stats. They're anonymous anyway, and the stats would be a big help to people who are trying to see where they place within the application pool, considering few programs publish their admission statistics. I vote that we make at least the GPA section a required parameter, I don't really care about the GRE, but I know some schools use it as a weed out stat, so that would be extremely helpful .

You'd need an opt-out or free text field for this for students with non-US degrees - not all countries have GPAs, and even those that do, don't use the same 4.0 scale that the US does.

I would like some sort of messaging option. That way if someone posted a result and a person has questions for them they can just message them instead of putting out an "other" post with the question in it that the original poster might not even see. 

Some great suggestions on here but one that I'd like to see is the option of adding an 'Application Submission Date' as well to a post, considering the fact that in many programs with rolling deadlines, the day you submit your application greatly impacts when you receive the decision. Too often, people seem to be using the 'other' option to flood the results page with questions related to this.

Edited by Pastafarian

An option to see the average stats for admition(GPA,GRE,Papers), sorted by discipline/institution/programs/....

While admissions are holistic, getting to know the averages is a good starting point when looking for potential programs. 

it would be nice if you can go in and edit them, and provide updates, as opposed to having to create an entirely new result.

1). also, I wish more people would post their stats, which I think is just as useful, if not more useful than the time of notification and application status. I don't understand why people would not want to post these stats. They're anonymous anyway, and the stats would be a big help to people who are trying to see where they place within the application pool, considering few programs publish their admission statistics. I vote that we make at least the GPA section a required parameter, I don't really care about the GRE, but I know some schools use it as a weed out stat, so that would be extremely helpful too.

2). and I think people are underestimating the weight of the GPA. Yes, research is important, but it's hard to summarize your research qualifications with one sentence. I've seen results where the notes indicate several 1st author pubs, and the person was still rejected. GPA, on the other hand, is much easier (it's just a number), and obviously schools put a lot of weight on it. If we make the GPA a required section, it'll be a small change, with a large benefit for a lot of people.

3). lastly, it would be nice to organize the results section into a real database, where the schools and majors you select is actually a drop down list, as opposed to just typing in an individual entry. That would open the possibility of trending people's stats on a graph, and form a convenient bell curve. I mean this might be a lot more trouble than it's worth, but I'm just thinking out loud here. If we get enough entries, it would certainly be interesting to see something like that.

1 - 2.  What you write here is exactly why stats are not important.  GPA is most certainly a consideration in the process but it is also only one part out of ~6 (GPA, GRE, SOP, prior research/experience [CV, resume], LORs, maybe a writing sample, perhaps GRE subject test score).  To add, the admissions committee can change yearly.  Professors and PIs have their own opinions of what is most important, which does not always include GPA (and if it does, not necessarily a high GPA).  Programs may also take extenuating circumstances into consideration if those circumstances had an affect on GPA (low).  A prof/PI/program may also not have funding that year, which they may not communicate to you (generic form rejection letter).  And so on.  

I understand the desire for such info; it is nice to see how we stack up against the rest.  Ultimately, it is irrelevant and honestly has the potential to generate animosity anyways.  Even without stats available, there are already members who leave disparaging comments "to" those who were admitted to the same program with lesser stats.  Surely such "comments" this would increase if more info were made available.  Besides, we already have all of the "201X Profile" threads, which is a much better medium to convey and discuss such information.

3.  I've thought about this, too.  However, to my knowledge Grad Cafe is not in the business to collect such info and to be frank self-reported datum can only be taken with a grain of salt.  

I do think it would interesting, though, to tie all of this together keep in mind that there is a reason why grad programs do not publish [or do not collect, as some programs claim] such information.