bgk

Results System: Features you'd like to see?

On 1/4/2018 at 6:32 PM, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

the profile of admitted students so we can get a picture of who gets in some schools based on their gre/gpa :)

As @TakeruK and @fuzzylogician have already explained, the raw numbers don't really tell you that much about who gets in to a program. If you look at the (very long) thread on applying with a sub-3.0 GPA, it's clear that plenty of folks here have gotten into reputable and highly ranked programs without having a 4.0 GPA and perfect GRE scores. I know that it'd be nice to simplify applications to numbers but, it really isn't that simple.

As an example of the complexity involved, I'll point you to this post about reviewing PhD applications in mathematics. You'll note that @cyberwulf specifically notes that they aren't that concerned with GRE scores or grades in general, only grades in specific courses. Given this, what value is there in requiring applicants to post their overall GRE score and overall GPA?

How hard would it be to add a place for preferred pronouns in addition to gender, and then we have the ability to write in what we want, rather than choose from a list?  Especially for people who choose "Not Telling" as a gender, it would help other folks be able to refer to them respectfully.  We can put it in our profiles, of course, but if there were a designated place for it, folks would know where to look.

At least in my field, there seem to be a lot of trans* forum particulars, so it would be useful. :-)

10 hours ago, E-P said:

How hard would it be to add a place for preferred pronouns in addition to gender, and then we have the ability to write in what we want, rather than choose from a list?  Especially for people who choose "Not Telling" as a gender, it would help other folks be able to refer to them respectfully.  We can put it in our profiles, of course, but if there were a designated place for it, folks would know where to look.

At least in my field, there seem to be a lot of trans* forum particulars, so it would be useful. :-)

I support this! I have no idea how hard it would be.

I think we should have both the "gender" field and "pronouns"* field be write-in fields, with some examples. Or we could really just drop the "gender" field completely and only use "pronoun". I actually forgot that the "gender" field even exists since I rarely read people's profiles. 

*I think "pronouns" is better than "preferred pronouns" since I feel that the latter somehow implies that these aren't someone's "real" pronouns, just what they "prefer" to be called. At least in my field, for conference name badges, they originally had "preferred pronouns" stickers until many people wanting to use the stickers made this point and we've switched to just "my pronouns are ... "

22 hours ago, E-P said:

Done! But, seeing as I've never done this before, let me know if it doesn't work. (To be clear, I added an option for Trans* and Nonbinary under gender and then a separate text field for pronouns.)

14 hours ago, rising_star said:

Done! But, seeing as I've never done this before, let me know if it doesn't work. (To be clear, I added an option for Trans* and Nonbinary under gender and then a separate text field for pronouns.)

It is cool that you added the Trans*/NB options, though you may also consider changing the "male" and "female" to "man" and "woman." There are Trans folks that may not feel comfortable indicating that they are trans, but also feel odd clicking "male" or "female." Plus male/female is technically sex, not gender.

Edited by CulturalCriminal