Columbia University

coonskee

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey have any of the incoming students to a GSAS program received an email regarding orientation and registration? When I accepted admission in April the automated reply said I should receive an email later in the Spring and I just wanted to make sure i haven't missed anything. Thanks!

#pregradschooljitters

Edited by slackid89

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine a while ago (orientation schedule about a week I accepted my offer, which was also the same day that I got it :P), plus official notice sent out from the grad secretary in april.... Maybe it's different for my program cause it's at the med school campus, though?

I'm jealous of all y'all who are going to be on the main campus.... it's way more awesome there than at 168th :P

Hah, although I will be attending classes at the Morningside Campus, I am living for the summer on 177th, right north of the medical campus. It is nice in its own way up here and cheaper. And, it is a different community in the sense that Morningside/West Harlem is more of an African American focus whereas up here is Latin American.

I got mine a while ago (orientation schedule about a week I accepted my offer, which was also the same day that I got it :P), plus official notice sent out from the grad secretary in april.... Maybe it's different for my program cause it's at the med school campus, though?

I'm jealous of all y'all who are going to be on the main campus.... it's way more awesome there than at 168th :P

Finally got my housing! $950/month, almost :s I really hope the room is at least nice...

I didn't really like the area where the med school is (seems like there's a lot less stuff than at Morningside - I went to CC for my undergrad so I guess I got a little spoiled :P)... but I'd rather live close to campus, at least my first year.

Anyone in GSAS get an orientation email with registration info, etc? I had to email and call the office to get my UNI sent to me (they've no idea why of course it wasn't sent in the first place), but I'm now wondering if there's anything else I'm missing.

I'm in the Liberal Studies MA program so would love to know if anyone's gotten emails from them -- or GSAS generally.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got my housing! $950/month, almost :s I really hope the room is at least nice...

I didn't really like the area where the med school is (seems like there's a lot less stuff than at Morningside - I went to CC for my undergrad so I guess I got a little spoiled :P)... but I'd rather live close to campus, at least my first year.

Yeah, I do think that the Morningside Heights area is nicer than Washington Heights. However, it is a bit busier and more expensive. I think the sublet room I have up here near the medical campus would be easily $100-200 more in Morningside Heights.

Having said that, I am hoping to live nearer to campus this fall as it is critical for being involved in campus life.

congrats. $950/month is awesome price. is that an apartment or a dormitory room?

Edited by msal

congrats. $950/month is awesome price. is that an apartment or a dormitory room?

It's an apartment - 3BR. I guess I was hoping for a little less considering the location (Wash Heights, not Morningside), but I still haven't seen my room - if it's gloriously large, I'll be jumping for joy!

It's an apartment - 3BR. I guess I was hoping for a little less considering the location (Wash Heights, not Morningside), but I still haven't seen my room - if it's gloriously large, I'll be jumping for joy!

I see, it's little bit far. but I assure you the price is very good. you pay around 1500 for the 1 bedroom apartments at the morningside

I see, it's little bit far. but I assure you the price is very good. you pay around 1500 for the 1 bedroom apartments at the morningside

I know :P I went there for undergrad. The housing is for those students at the med school campus, so it's not far for me :)

I know :P I went there for undergrad. The housing is for those students at the med school campus, so it's not far for me :)

Ah yes, I am living in Washington Heights and paying $850 which will go up to $950 in the fall. Unfortunately, I am a student at Morningside, not the medical campus. Its a bit far, although not prohibitively so, to get to Morningside every day.

Anybody know if $1200 a month for a room in a nice area of Morningside is too much? I'm probably going to go with International House over there but it is $1180 for a room in a 3-5 bedroom apt.

Ah yes, I am living in Washington Heights and paying $850 which will go up to $950 in the fall. Unfortunately, I am a student at Morningside, not the medical campus. Its a bit far, although not prohibitively so, to get to Morningside every day.

Anybody know if $1200 a month for a room in a nice area of Morningside is too much? I'm probably going to go with International House over there but it is $1180 for a room in a 3-5 bedroom apt.

some 1 bedroom apartments are around $1,500 a month at Morningside. 1,200 seemed a little bit high for a room. maybe you should look for studio apartments. their price is around 1,200-1,300.