UC Berkeley - Fall 2012 MSW Admissions

mswhopeful2012

OMG! Thanks so much for sharing this! Wow, so either today or tomorrow! Good luck everyone!!!

If you were to get into Berkeley, which one of you guys would actually attend? In other words, is Berkeley anyone's top choice?

Berkeley is my first choice. I'm going if I get accepted!

Welcome lologogo and lccsf!

So.. I emailed admissions and asked if we were going to hear back closer to early March or closer to mid-March. I did have a reason for asking; it wasn't like, "I JUST NEED TO KNOW!" I'm sure they would have loved that. Anyway, this was their response:

Dear xxx,

Application decisions will be going out this week, through email.

Best,

Admissions Office

School of Social Welfare

So it looks like today or tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Also, others who are reading and not posting - feel free to introduce yourselves! The more the merrier. :)

well, my anxiety levels just went back up! haha thank you for the information!

OMG! Thanks so much for sharing this! Wow, so either today or tomorrow! Good luck everyone!!!

If you were to get into Berkeley, which one of you guys would actually attend? In other words, is Berkeley anyone's top choice?

If I get in, I'm going! Can't wait to find out. Good luck everyone :)

I still somehow have a feeling that some of us will still be waiting after the end of this week. Maybe I'm just being horribly pessimistic after NYU told me they'd notify me 9 days ago and then never did. Anyway, Berkeley is my top choice, like it is so many of yours. Good luck everyone!

I still somehow have a feeling that some of us will still be waiting after the end of this week. Maybe I'm just being horribly pessimistic after NYU told me they'd notify me 9 days ago and then never did. Anyway, Berkeley is my top choice, like it is so many of yours. Good luck everyone!

I agree Rivka. I applied to the MSW/PhD Program, so I have a feeling I might be notified of a rejection/acceptance after the end of this week. The wait is killing me because I need/want to make a decision about where the rest of my life is going sooner rather than later.

Life to do list post-deciding which school I'm going to: I have to take a look at finances, visit campuses, let my work know what I'll be doing, train the person who may replace me at work, let my recommenders know where I'm going and give them thank you gifts, sell my bed, desk and futon on Craigslist, find a new place where I might be possibly going to school, cancel my gym pass, figure out what I'm going to do with my car (if I go to the East Coast)....

Hello MSW hopefuls! I've also been following this thread. I applied to the CMH concentration and haven't heard anything as of yet. Like most of you I am filled with anticipation, but not too worried either way. I also applied to CSU-EB and SFSU (I do not want to leave the Bay Area as you can see), and really hope one of these works out. After speaking with many practicing MSW graduates, most programs are very similar and employers rarely ask where you went to school. It will all work out!

Best of luck to all of the applicants out there!!

I just got this response to my email asking when we would hear:

Application decisions will be going out this week and next. We normally send them out by concentration. Please feel free to contact us again if you have any other questions!

So maybe we won't be hearing from them tomorrow....

Welcome MommyMSW!

I just got this response to my email asking when we would hear:

Application decisions will be going out this week and next. We normally send them out by concentration. Please feel free to contact us again if you have any other questions!

So maybe we won't be hearing from them tomorrow....

Thanks for the update! I sent my email late Friday afternoon and got the response on Tuesday morning. I didn't want to create more anxiety earlier in the week so I didn't post until today. I mentioned in my email that I applied to the CMH concentration, so based on the response you got, I can think of two things: 1) CMH is going to hear by the end of this week, or 2) between Tuesday and today, they realized they are not making decisions as quickly as they thought, and will let us know next week. Either way, maybe some people will hear back by tomorrow?

I keep going over the finances for Michigan, and it's making me want to jump all over Cal if I'm accepted.* Which, of course, is making the wait all the more excruciating.

Ohhh my gah... <roll>

* even if they offer puny aid :P

I'm in!

Just got the e-mail from Melanie Green, informing me that the SSW has recommended me for admission and that I'll be receiving an official e-mail notification from the Graduate Division.

Holy crow!

By the way: I was a MAP applicant :)

Had you emailed her before or did she just let you know out of the blue?!

To respond to this, it was entirely out of the blue. I actually thought I wouldn't hear until next week because the Grad Admissions office had a hiccup with my application fee (I was supposed to get it waived but made a mistake), so it was a huge surprise. She said the official notice would come "shortly", and financial aid stuff in the next few weeks.

It came in at 8 pm on the dot :). I imagine this is a couple weeks of late nights at the office...

Yeah, must be the busiest time of year for sure! I think that at least one person from every concentration except Community Mental Health has gotten an answer now (and please correct me if I'm wrong). There also seem to be more CMH people posting here than the other concentrations. What does it all mean?! I'm not sure if I should feel relieved that CMH people on this forum haven't heard back yet.. or that so many people applied to this concentration they are still going over all the applications and it is ridiculously competitive.

Edited by mapletree