University of Southern California (USC)

hitomimay

• 8 months later...

Has anyone else not heard back yet? This is the only school I applied to and it's driving me crazy (CS PhD at Viterbi).

Edited by Sheraff

Congratulations to everyone who received an acceptance!

As for housing, I wanted to recommend http://www.dancohousing.com/listing/rent

While it's a "house", it's designed like apartment building complex, where every room has its own private entrance. The current tenants are all graduate students, and we're all really friendly and the management is extremely awesome and responsive to any concerns/needs we have. The units are also pet friendly :)

I'm currently a 1st year PhD student at USC, so if anyone would be interested in living around here, we're only a 3 minute walk (or 30 second bike ride) from USC. Feel free to message me :) 

Congratulations again!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm committed to USC for fall of 2013. I'm going to be in a PhD program within the pharmacy school, so I will be mostly at the health sciences campus. 

As 415 is approaching, I'm ready to take the USC's offer and i will go to LA this August. Looking for roomies now, if anyone who will attend USC this fall and want to join us(we are 4 girls now and plan to rent a house), you can just PM me. :)

Officially accepted USC's offer for PhD in History. :) I visited last month and I absolutely loved LA! Can't wait to move to the warmer climate this fall.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Accepted USC's offer for spring MS CS.. Anyone else for spring?? B) Looking for room-mates and accomodation and generally meeting new people at my future university :D

• 7 months later...

There's technically a chance I might not accept this offer... But I doubt it!

Anyone already decide to go to USC next year?

What kind of program?

How far will you be traveling?

What are you excited for?

I plan on living at visiting this place when I get to LA:
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/los-angeles/west-hollywood/this-is-about-to-become-the-most-popular-donut-shop-in-la-thrillist-los-angeles

:D

Don't be lonely! It's not even March yet, I haven't heard back from most schools. I'm freakin' THRILLED to be accepted to USC, but I want to take my time, hear back from all schools, make 4573409 pros/cons lists, and make my final decision because joining the Meet n' Greet. Especially since I just learned this morning that a lot of USC-based scholarships had December 15th deadlines D:

Did you apply to the Viterbi school? If so, did you get the email about the upcoming webinars for newly admitted students? I signed up for the one tomorrow at 2pm :)

Did you apply to the Viterbi school? If so, did you get the email about the upcoming webinars for newly admitted students? I signed up for the one tomorrow at 2pm :)

I did! But what the heck? I didn't hear about no webinars! D:

Maybe it's different what they provide for different fields? I'm going for CS visit days next week (March 6th and 7th), but that's all I've heard about!

Also, right after my last post on this thread, someone made a new thread for USC Price... it made me sad lol. Price is on the main campus, and you don't see me making a Viterbi thread...

edit: I guess you're right, it's only February, and someone just posted about getting accepted into the same program as me! There's more to come after all. :)

I guess it's weird because I only really applied to two schools I was interested in: USC and UCSD. And I got into the better one for me, so the decision's pretty easy!

Edited by PhDerp

@PHDerp,

I think it's because I applied to Master's instead of PhD. I don't think they'll have visitation/recruitment weekends for Master's students (and I think that's common for Master's students in general).

If I get accepted to UCSD or UC Davis, I'll be pretty torn - both MS&E departments are ranked higher than USC's MS&E department, but USC's name travels further, and has a fantastic alumni network. Hence the bajillion pros/cons list. I'll probably make one of those desperate "HELP ME DECIDE" posts if it comes to that.

What made you chose USC over UCSD?

@starofdawn,

That makes sense! I wonder what the webinar will be like? Skyping the beautiful campus? Lol

USC actually has a better program for my field. UCSD is ranked 14th in CS on USNews, whereas USC is ranked 20th (really that's pretty much the same bracket of ranking, IMO). But UCSD's strengths lie in its diverse department: they're good at theory, programming languages, systems... And that's great. But they don't even rank in AI according to this resource, whereas USC is 15th! I hadn't realized this school was "better" in my specific field!

Plus, they're clearly interested in me if they accepted me at this point. Some students are only just hearing back now. And they offered a generous fellowship!

I did this arse-backwards and applied to programs based on location, then checked for close fits for research, because I haven't really done research yet... I know, it's strange. XD I was ready to go natural language processing, or speech processing, or computational neuroscience... But I happened to find a group with incredibly interesting research projects at USC and an advisor who sounds really, really nice! Plus, they have this kind of transparency between departments that makes the school unique. Their research is very interdisciplinary. It sounds great for me!

So USC has the rank, location, attitude, and research that suits me. Really, I don't know how UCSD could be better for me. And I hope UCSD sees that, that the fit is forced, so they'd just reject me... It'd make life so much easier. :P

Edited by PhDerp

@PhDerp,

That makes a lot of sense. I did initial research last summer (to decide where to apply), but haven't delved into it again. It would be nice to do a refresher, in case I get accepted to multiple schools.

But in the mean time, I'm still giddy to tell everyone I've been accepted to USC, I'll be frequenting this board and other USC functions in case I end up there :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone wanna room for fall semester?

I'm mostly looking for the fall semester only, but would consider a full school year lease as well. I'd like to live in an area where I can commute without a car; so either one with a train / bus line, or one right by the school but within patrolled grounds for safety.

I'm a girl. I'm really boring. I'm clean. I'm quiet at my work station but will talk to you if we hang out. I'm good at putting up with pretty much everything. I have a lot of references and people who could recommend me as a roommate. I'd like it if my SO could visit occasionally on weekends, but he's way more quiet and boring than me, and we would hang out outside the apartment space.

Feel free to message me if you're interested!

• 2 weeks later...

Well hello everyone!! Just accepted my offer from USC today. It feels good to join the Trojan family. ;)

Awesome! :)

We might see each other in the fall. My lab-to-be has a few linguistics students, and I think I'm going to sit in on the phon* lunches and stuff. Besides, I love psycholinguistics and neurolinguistics!! :D I want to learn a bit more about both for my work.

What kind of linguistics do you study?

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome! :)

We might see each other in the fall. My lab-to-be has a few linguistics students, and I think I'm going to sit in on the phon* lunches and stuff. Besides, I love psycholinguistics and neurolinguistics!! :D I want to learn a bit more about both for my work.

What kind of linguistics do you study?

Omg PhDerp I'm so sorry, somehow I missed your last message!!! 

I do psycholinguistics! :) But I'm more into the syntax/discourse side of things... 

I'll be happy to see you there!!!! yay!