UC Berkeley

papillon_pourpre

Cool - what kind of music do you study, if you don't mind my asking?

Not at all. I plan to specialize in Pacific Islander music (especially from New Zealand and other Polynesian nations) and approach it from the theoretical frameworks of postcolonialism, diaspora studies, and tourism. Essentially, I'm interested in understanding how European and American colonial legacies have persisted in this region and would like to examine their effects on music and culture. More generally, I'm interested in music in island cultures (including the Caribbean), especially from the vantage point of tourism. However, I do find intriguing musics from all over the world, across all periods--my undergrad curriculum was more focused on the Western classical music tradition, which I equally admire.

Anyway, that's probably a longer answer than you wanted! In which field are you doing your MFA?

(Also, I just received financial info from my dept. today, about two weeks after I received my official offer, fyi.) 

Actually, I checked my mail after posting that, and there was a financial letter in the post. They sure timed that perfectly!

I mostly did photo up til now, but I'm really hoping to use school as a chance to expand into video and installation work. It's really cool that you mention post-colonial cultures and the Caribbean - some of my recent work has been in the DR and Puerto Rico. I checked out the site of the first semi-permanent settlement established by Columbus and Ponce de Leon's house, and did notice that so much of history has turned into tourist sites. I'm really hoping to take a transatlantic trip by boat to see what it was like to be seven days out to sea and really bored! :P And maybe to see some pyramid ruins in Peru and Mexico at some point. I'm fascinated by how native cultures in Latin America have managed to survive and simply incorporate a lot of western notions - I'm also interested in Manifest Destiny era westward migration in the US since there is a similar dynamic there, but the native tribes here seem to have been decimated instead of being able to coexist with the mainstream culture. I'm generally interested in migrations. I never thoght about it in terms of music though!

Anyway - cool serendipity!

strawberry fields-- Congrats, I'm glad you received it!

seeingeyeduck-- All of that sounds fascinating, and I hope you accomplish all of those goals! I particularly approve of the transatlantic colonial voyage. I have similar interest in recreating the Polynesian migration to Easter Island, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to do that by canoe and rely on the stars for navigation. For all the wonder of "Life of Pi," I am still haunted by the concept of being alone at sea (even without Bengal tigers in tow).  ;)

I'm still waiting to hear almost a month after interview! How were you guys notified? Should I stalk out my mailman?!

A department representative called me in early February with an unofficial offer, which the Graduate Division made official over email about two weeks later. My funding letter arrived two weeks after that. I didn't have an interview, however, so I think every department operates differently, because other posters on this forum have received things within a shorter span of time than I did. You may hear news very soon--I think Berkeley notifies most applicants either way in early March. Good luck, and hang in there! 

PhoenixKing -- thanks! it is quite a relief!

I'm still waiting to hear almost a month after interview! How were you guys notified? Should I stalk out my mailman?!

I'm sure it is program-specific. I received an email from my POI about a week and a half after my interview letting me know I would be accepted. It was about another week after that before I received the official offer. My opinion is that it never hurts to email your POI and reaffirm your interest in the program and ask about timeline/if there is any other information you can provide, etc.

Edited by strawberry fields

seeingeyeduck-- All of that sounds fascinating, and I hope you accomplish all of those goals! I particularly approve of the transatlantic colonial voyage. I have similar interest in recreating the Polynesian migration to Easter Island, but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to do that by canoe and rely on the stars for navigation. For all the wonder of "Life of Pi," I am still haunted by the concept of being alone at sea (even without Bengal tigers in tow). ;)

Wow, that would be amazing to recreate. I assume though that they were not alone?! You'd have to fit more people into your canoe (are they the giant long ones?) for company. :)

I'm glad everyone is finally receiving the decisions and offers!

I got accepted into the Chemical Engineering PDP M.S. program according to the e-mail from the program director. Haven't gotten any official acceptance letters sent to me though.

Edited by raliem

Congratulations and hello everybody! I got my official acceptance to the history Ph.D. program on February 10th, and my funding/fellowship offer on the 13th. I was so excited when I found out I'd been accepted! Mayhap some of us shall meet at Berkeley in the fall ;)

Just got the official decision today! It says financial info comes from the dept separately...

Same here. Have you received your financial infos? I am still waiting on them...

Same here. Have you received your financial infos? I am still waiting on them...

I actually ended up getting the financial letter the same day in the post. The decision letter was an email. You'll probably get yours soon. Another UC said they had to be postmarked by the 15th so I bet that's across the board for the UCs. Otherwise, people would have no time to decide!

Oh and does anyone else have visit days coming up? Mine is next weekend and I can't wait!

Edited by seeingeyeduck

• 2 weeks later...