UC Berkeley

papillon_pourpre

My visit day on the 14th was great, as was spending the 15th (Saturday) wandering around Berkeley ;) I loved the atmosphere and the members of my cohort were super nice, friendly people ;) I'm so excited for August!

I just returned home from an excellent visit weekend that further secured my interest in the program. Simply, I can't wait to join the intellectual community at Berkeley this fall. Glad to hear that you guys had similarly positive experiences!  

I just returned home from an excellent visit weekend that further secured my interest in the program. Simply, I can't wait to join the intellectual community at Berkeley this fall. Glad to hear that you guys had similarly positive experiences!  

That's great! I feel the same way about the intellectual community - Looking forward to August!

Time to chime in! I've officially RSVPed our admit day on the April 7th :) If all goes well, I will be starting the MPP program this fall.

I skyped with a current student yesterday and it was great. Her outlook was eerily on point with my current life disposition and her attitude very much jibed with mine as well. It will be hard to contain my excitement come admit day!

Question - are you moving from elsewhere? Thoughts on how you are looking to go about it?

Edited by gwualum4mpp

I'll be moving back from Germany to my hometown in Oregon on June 30th, fingers crossed that I can find a place in Berkeley and get moved in by August 20th ;) Finally hoping to get all of my lingering ephemera out of my parents' house, so here's a toast to that!

I lived there during my masters. It was a cool experience but had drawbacks too (you make great friends and they leave. Every semester.) Game days are great and they always have events and people genuinely want to get to know each other. The cost is actually reasonable for the area. I lived in 408 and N30. I want to say. The higher the better if you're wanting the best view.

Hey guys,

Anyone planning to stay at the ihouse? I have been offered a spot but I am still wondering whether $13,535/year (with meals) is worth it.

Exactly how much more expensive it is compared to off-campus housing?

Can anyone staying there guide me about expenses, are there any hidden costs?

How much noise is generated by construction activity? Which floor/rooms are the quietest?

If there are no red flags any idea which rooms have a Bay view? I can choose accordingly :D

Edited by drph_2014

Is anyone else starting to think about housing / roommates? I am coming from the east coast and won't be arriving at Berkeley until late July / early August, and I'd love to search for housing with a couple of other first year grad students.

I got my official letter today!! Congrats everyone!

Congrats! I am also heading to Berkeley in the fall - what track within the psychology department are you doing? I'm in clinical science. Great to (electronically) meet you!

the berkeley housing website is a good place to start looking for housing ($20/3 mo if want to use services like looking for roommates): http://www.housing.berkeley.edu/livingatcal/graduatestudents.html

still have yet to receive my funding offer but at least i've been able to officially accept the offer :)

go bears!! ^^

For everyone who's already accepted their offers and is all set since April 15th, have you heard anything further from your department yet? I was asked to have my official transcript from my undergrad institution mailed to the Berkeley registrar and confirm my FAFSA with my tax return, but that was over 10 days ago and I haven't heard anything since.

• 2 weeks later...

For everyone who's already accepted their offers and is all set since April 15th, have you heard anything further from your department yet? I was asked to have my official transcript from my undergrad institution mailed to the Berkeley registrar and confirm my FAFSA with my tax return, but that was over 10 days ago and I haven't heard anything since.

I only received a short email from the DGS in my department regarding my field's annual conference and the department funds potentially available for it for first years; that was sent to me on April 20. Since then, I haven't heard anything from the department, only from the Graduate Division itself--I've been procrastinating on completing my SLR form. I imagine we won't hear anything substantial until the summer, but that's my intuition. 

That's good to hear. I already filled out my SLR and got my Cal ID number, so I'm assuming there's nothing else I'm missing.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: got my welcome letter from the department today detailing how and when to register for classes, get the most out of advising, establish residency, and some advice about finding housing. It's nice to know that I'm on track ;)

I've had no luck with housing so far - I applied to the co-ops and didn't get a spot, and I've heard from several people that paying the Calrental fee isn't worth it. I've been combing Craigslist every day, but most ads aren't for rooms available in August yet (I'd like to move at the beginning of August if possible), and I don't know how many people have responded saying that they're interested in having me before cutting off contact when they find out that I'm overseas for another month. I was told by current grad students at orientation that it's quite common for most housing options for the new semester to change just weeks before the semester starts, so I'm hoping that that will be the case and I'm just looking too early (two months in advance). If worst comes to worst I'll just head down in mid July and stay with relatives for two weeks while going to viewings every day, but I'm hoping to avoid that if at all possible. 

Anybody else successfully secured housing for the Fall yet?

Edited by maelia8

Update: got my welcome letter from the department today detailing how and when to register for classes, get the most out of advising, establish residency, and some advice about finding housing. It's nice to know that I'm on track ;)

I've had no luck with housing so far - I applied to the co-ops and didn't get a spot, and I've heard from several people that paying the Calrental fee isn't worth it. I've been combing Craigslist every day, but most ads aren't for rooms available in August yet (I'd like to move at the beginning of August if possible), and I don't know how many people have responded saying that they're interested in having me before cutting off contact when they find out that I'm overseas for another month. I was told by current grad students at orientation that it's quite common for most housing options for the new semester to change just weeks before the semester starts, so I'm hoping that that will be the case and I'm just looking too early (two months in advance). If worst comes to worst I'll just head down in mid July and stay with relatives for two weeks while going to viewings every day, but I'm hoping to avoid that if at all possible.

Anybody else successfully secured housing for the Fall yet?

Hi there, I also have yet to find housing. However, I adjusted my lease availability from August 1 to July 1 and have been getting a lot more hits on my housing wanted ad. I can only guess it will be like this for August once July rolls around. I have a really promising meeting this Saturday with a prospect that got in touch so me via cal rentals. It's ~$700 in the gourmet ghetto which sounds like a great deal for a great location. I'd say $20 is worth it if it means improving chances....I guess we'll see how it goes!

Have you made a housing wanted ad? I've gotten literally every apartment in the past through people who reach out to me, rather than vice versa. Just a thought! Good luck!

Edited by gwualum4mpp

Have you made a housing wanted ad? I've gotten literally every apartment in the past through people who reach out to me, rather than vice versa. Just a thought! Good luck!

Yes, I've posted several "wanted" ads on craigslist, but all the people who respond to them are others in the same boat hoping that we can look together (which in all reality would complicate the process even more). I've even gotten to the point of having Skype interviews, but the place always ends up being either more expensive than listed, or the renter has decided to go with someone else they can meet up with in person (which I totally understand, it can seem kinda sketch to rent to somebody over Skype). Maybe Cal rentals is worth it … I'll think about it. I know that I just need to be patient and more options will open up later, but I'm not the kind of person who likes letting things get down to the wire  :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

If you're not going to be in uni housing I'd go with the staying with relatives to look plan. The demand for cheap housing is so high here I can't imagine anyone renting to someone via Skype versus real life. Any listing for a room under $800 is going to have lots of responses so the landlords or people renting it out will always have a load of choices. I'm not saying it's not possible but people usually see the place in person and meet the potential roommates and that's a leg up. Maybe see how the search pans out in early July and make a call then.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...