sub 3.0 GPAs

belowthree

Right, got it. Thanks.

Yeah, don't stress..

My undergrad was a 2.56..

I went back 13 years later, took some undergrad courses and got A's in all of them and now I'm set to graduate with a 3.5 with an M.A. in History while starting on an MPA and debating between Law School or PHD..

My age (39) is a consideration, but my post graduation debt load is more of one. Due to time considerations I may do Law School as opposed to PHD, but I am still uncertain...

• 2 weeks later...

I know this thread is a tad old (just a few months, but still). But speaking of sub 3.0 GPAs, I am one of those with a 3.11 (GRE: 760q, 490v, 4.5awa) and reapplying for Fall 2010. Just to give some hope to those GPAs like me, I was accepted last year into the USC M.S. Computer Science grad program. I didn't go due to financial problems and what not. This coming Fall 2010, I should qualify for a tuition waiver (as long as I don't work again) for all California Public Universities and will be able to afford to pay for any miscellaneous fees. Private Universities and schools out of state will be a bit difficult to pay for, but I will be taking out a student loan if I must. Hopefully, I gain acceptance into a few schools out of the 10 - 15 I'm applying to for Fall 2010.

Yes, I'd believe so! These GPA cut offs are not normally very strict ones.

It is virtually non-existent if you already admitted to another program in the same university, and use a petition or internal transfer to switch to the program you want later.

For me it takes 5 DAYS to get admitted to a new program through an internal transfer process. The new program needs a 3.5 on all grad-level courses taken, I only have 3.11 when the application is made.

Ok I haven't been posting for a long while. I've just spent an entire summer job hunting and having interviews to no avail. And I am seriously considering taking a Kaplan or Princeton Review GRE classroom course. I've also been constantly checking out websites of the grad schools that I would like to apply to. Turns out I think I may have a decent chance of getting into USF. I also have had plenty of time to think about my sub 3.0 GPA and realized it's a B- average. (2.73) and I feel a little better now but perhaps all the anxiety of graduation has worn off. Job hunting sucks and I still haven't gotten hired. I'm thinking of possibly trying to get in somewhere for spring '10.

How is everyone else doing?

Ok I haven't been posting for a long while. I've just spent an entire summer job hunting and having interviews to no avail. And I am seriously considering taking a Kaplan or Princeton Review GRE classroom course. I've also been constantly checking out websites of the grad schools that I would like to apply to. Turns out I think I may have a decent chance of getting into USF. I also have had plenty of time to think about my sub 3.0 GPA and realized it's a B- average. (2.73) and I feel a little better now but perhaps all the anxiety of graduation has worn off. Job hunting sucks and I still haven't gotten hired. I'm thinking of possibly trying to get in somewhere for spring '10.

How is everyone else doing?

Ever since I discovered this site, I've been posting just about every day. I also tried the job hunting thing and had interviews but no job offers as well. At least I got some interview experience and one company says that they only invite people of a certain caliber for on-site interviews which gave me a bit of a confidence boost. But I think it's a good thing I couldn't get a job because of the strict requirements (cannot make more than ~$11k in a year) for my tuition fee waiver for California public schools.

I think I'm also about done looking up grad schools. I've listed the ones I'm considering in my signature, but may be adding or removing more later depending on what my LOR advise. I'm currently working on my SOP (on revision 3) and hope to be done with it in the next few days to send off to my LOR for some feedback.

If you're thinking about a Kaplan course, there are some actually free preview courses that you can take and even a practice test.

I also say that you shouldn't count yourself out of applying to schools because you don't meet their gpa requirements. I have a friend who received below a 3.0 for his undergrad in computer science and now is in the PhD Computational Biology program at CMU.

It's not that I can't find a job , I was offered two: one from Aflac and the other from 1st Investors. I didn't take them because they wanted me to drive my own car to people's homes and small business to sell insurance policies and get them sign up for mutual funds. All commission based, no base salary, and no gas and car insurance stipend. I graduated with a BA in Environ. Studies and a double minor in Econ and Asian Languages. I feel that I can do better........

I would enlist in starfleet if it only it were real :(

Good for you! That's how I feel regardless of the competition in my area with other students and new grads from Berkeley and Stanford. My last job was actually at Stanford University as a research assistant working with just Stanford grad students (M.S. and PhD) and me only having graduated with a B.S.

My interviews were with Google (got to the last interview), NASA, and Image Movers Digital. I think the only other company I applied to was LucasFilm, but no interviews were done. I don't really apply to many jobs because I'm very picky and want to work in the film industry doing visual effects work or research. The choice of companies for me here fails in comparison to companies a typical computer science major would work for (Silicon Valley).

Depending on the field of study, the weighting given to the gpa will vary greatly. For intensely technical majors it is a huge part of the application while the more liberal arts type fields are going to be more interested in essays and portfolios (if applicable).

Speaking as someone from a technical discipline I had a very frustrating application experience where I had excellent LORs, published research, leadership experience (generally doesn't count for much in tech fields), a good GRE score and a GPA in the low 3's from what is now the 2nd ranked undergraduate institution in the field (it was 3rd when I graduated). During the process I received communications from professors at the schools I applied to who expressed interest in having me join their groups and I ended up getting rejected at nearly every school, all of whom cited that they were concerned about my GPA.

On the flip side, organizations like NSF, love to see demonstrated ability and I ended up getting an honorable mention from them.

It all depends on who's reviewing your application, if your app can successfully convey to them your ability then you're golden.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread made me join this comm!

I feel so alone on all of my online boards because of my horrendous GPA.

The "Story":

I have a ten year gap in my UG record. No real excuses. I was 17 when I started and now I'm not. That's it. No failing grades or anything but TWO semesters of incompletes and withdrawals which are calculated into my overall GPA. :( So, even though I've never earned less than a B, I have a 2.8 with 17 hours to go. But, at this point I'm too old to bother with transferring and too ready to move on with life now that I have a direction.

I have done all I can to mitigate this. I got a research fellowship last summer which produced a publishable writing sample. I also earned two great LORs, one from an academic superstar who is, amazingly, totally on my team. My GRE is just ok 680v 340q 4.5writing. I'm retaking to see if I can work on that quant. This semester I'm working in the aforementioned superstar's research institute doing research and writing a grant! I've received great feedback from my SOPs.

I'm applying to cultural anthro programs. Ten cultural anthro programs. :/ I'm trying to up my chances of an acceptance.

So, this is me introducing myself, commiserating and soliciting feedback.

Hi.

Hi!

That sounds like a bad deal. You should definitely mention in your statement of purpose what your GPA would be without those quarters of incompletes and withdrawls. I'm betting a few people will go ahead and evaluate your application closer to that number than the official one from your university.

Anyway, welcome to the interesting process of applying with these circumstances. :)

You might also want to poke a professor at your school and see what they suggest.

• 4 months later...

My GRE is just ok 680v 340q 4.5writing. I'm retaking to see if I can work on that quant. This semester I'm working in the aforementioned superstar's research institute doing research and writing a grant! I've received great feedback from my SOPs.

I'm applying to cultural anthro programs. Ten cultural anthro programs. :/ I'm trying to up my chances of an acceptance.

Hi.

Did you really mean 680v and 340q? If so, I'd worry about that quant score and I would most definitely retake the test after some SERIOUS preparation for the quant section. 340 is way below accepted standards for ANY department. This is not to scare you or disappoint you but I've never heard of a quant score equal to or below this that you have got. So do consider retaking because it looks like the rest of your profile is going to be competitive, don't let your GRE scores keep you out of contention..

Did you really mean 680v and 340q? If so, I'd worry about that quant score and I would most definitely retake the test after some SERIOUS preparation for the quant section. 340 is way below accepted standards for ANY department. This is not to scare you or disappoint you but I've never heard of a quant score equal to or below this that you have got. So do consider retaking because it looks like the rest of your profile is going to be competitive, don't let your GRE scores keep you out of contention..

LOL

You're not exactly correct. It is not below acceptable for "ANY department". However, for posterity's sake I did retake and I am choosing between fully funded offers as we speak.

I believe in the end I did a 680/540 or something like that. After the first offer you tend to forget, or, I did. It is no longer relevant and for that I am too grateful.

LOL

You're not exactly correct. It is not below acceptable for "ANY department".

Well, you wouldn't really know since you retook and improved your quant score by around 200 points! Good for you ;)

And yes, I do think it would be below acceptable for any department. A 340 would be way less than 50% percentile..(correct me if I'm wrong. what was your percentile?) I know that a score of 780q was at the 90th percentile or so (only a vague memory but I think this is an accurate estimate from what I remember of my score). I wouldn't think top 50 schools would be really pleased with a 30%ile score on any section of the GRE.

LOL

You're not exactly correct. It is not below acceptable for "ANY department". However, for posterity's sake I did retake and I am choosing between fully funded offers as we speak.

I believe in the end I did a 680/540 or something like that. After the first offer you tend to forget, or, I did. It is no longer relevant and for that I am too grateful.

Also, update your acceptance status in your signature ;)

After reading this forum I feel like this should be adjusted to read "Replying to sub 3.5 GPAs" and all the bullet points still apply. Honestly is having a 3.2 or 3.3 really that different? They make you feel like unless you have at least a 3.5 you won't be looked at. We all know that just because you meet the minimum standards doesn't mean you have a snowballs chance in hell wink.gif

After reading this forum I feel like this should be adjusted to read "Replying to sub 3.5 GPAs" and all the bullet points still apply. Honestly is having a 3.2 or 3.3 really that different? They make you feel like unless you have at least a 3.5 you won't be looked at. We all know that just because you meet the minimum standards doesn't mean you have a snowballs chance in hell wink.gif

I want to disagree with you there. I just got into Columbia Sociology program with a 3.26 undergrad GPA (albeit from a well known school), and also my three W's (gasp). I didn't think either would be a problem and they weren't. Yes, some graduate programs do have a 3.0 cut off for applications, but it seems like from the posts above that even those can be waved. A low GPA (3.0-3.5) is definitely not the kiss of death if there are other strong parts of your application (my GRE scores were particularly good, but strong published papers or conference things, or prestigious awards or internships or whatever would do the trick equally well I suppose). My last two years GPA and my major GPA were both between 3.5-3.6, if that makes a difference in any of your estimations.

High numbers won't get you in. An interesting project at a good fit and mediocre numbers might.

Edited by jacib

Well, you wouldn't really know since you retook and improved your quant score by around 200 points! Good for you ;)

And yes, I do think it would be below acceptable for any department. A 340 would be way less than 50% percentile..(correct me if I'm wrong. what was your percentile?) I know that a score of 780q was at the 90th percentile or so (only a vague memory but I think this is an accurate estimate from what I remember of my score). I wouldn't think top 50 schools would be really pleased with a 30%ile score on any section of the GRE.

It is definitely under 50. On my first round, I got a 410 which was something like 14th. I boosted it to 590 which was I think 48th.

Coya!! Where else did you get in. Man, after giving us such a wonderful picture of you life during the application process, don't leave us hanging now! We want to celebrate your successes :)

I want to disagree with you there. I just got into Columbia Sociology program with a 3.26 undergrad GPA (albeit from a well known school), and also my three W's (gasp).

I'm so happy I can chime in with the disagreeing. I had a 3.3 GPA, 17 W's (that's not a typo, seriously, SEVENTEEN), and a smattering of bad grades IN MY MAJOR (including an F).

So far I have one acceptance with funding!

It is definitely under 50. On my first round, I got a 410 which was something like 14th. I boosted it to 590 which was I think 48th.

Coya!! Where else did you get in. Man, after giving us such a wonderful picture of you life during the application process, don't leave us hanging now! We want to celebrate your successes :)

It was a single digit, I remember that much. But, again, I know people in programs with similar quant scores. Granted they are in English and Anthro, respectively; both fields being light on quant. I was more concerned with an overall showing that met cutoff scores than about the percentile on the quant, however. But my verbal didn't have too much more room to improve so it had to come from that end.

And the second one is a safety, captiv8ed. Thus, the reason I keep forgetting to add it to the sig: UNC-G. But they'd have a hard time beating Emory. With Duke and USC down there are really only two programs left that I think could make me reconsider. We'll see.

High numbers won't get you in. An interesting project at a good fit and mediocre numbers might.

YES!

Awesome, fantastic department reacted to my application with enthusiasm and several profs saying, "I want to convince you to go here!" My research ideas were going in a direction that they wanted the department to go in anyway, both in methodology and subject area.

Specialized department at another school insulted my 2 Cs freshman year (organic chemistry and calculus, come on.) while still offering me a spot. My topic was related to 3 of the 4 faculty member's interests and recent publications, and I have the right kind of background to approach it more critically than a "traditional" applicant to the program.

The lesson I take from this is that even if a school is being snobby about stats, they still can't pass you over if you have a good idea.

wow glad to see this thread was revived. being on the gradcafe forum and looking at the result page definitely makes me feel that I am competing with a whole lot of 4.0 gpa-1600 gre-10 publications etc robots in here. LOL. no offense if you are one of them. it is just nice to know that there are other people like me who just screwed up in their undergrad (because they are young or for whatever reason) and are now seeking another chance to further their education.

My own stats is probably worse than most of you in here as well: seeking a Masters in Social Work, 2.32 in UG total, came from a state school, good LORs (i am pretty positive), a good PS (also I hope), 3 years of case management experience (hope this helps make up for part of my GPA) applied to "good" schools and state schools, really just aiming all over the board for a chance somewhere. I would be so happy if any one of them accepts me for the fall semester. But I am ready for all across the board rejection and is ready to try again next year after taking some class in the upcoming semster.

I don't think that having a below than average GPA is the ONLY thing that grad school looks for, yes I admit that its an important part of your application, but I think (and this is true especially for social work) that they really look for experience in the field and less emphasis on your grades and since most grad school don't ask for test scores, I think that they really place the value of your work experience and personal statement first and foremost. at least thats what I have been telling myself. ;)

Sorry, yes, sensitive about my GPA, I have worked very hard to get a lot of other attributes that should make up for it. I worked to put myself through college, so I was either in class or at work and struggled to make enough, so I did not get a lot of time to study.

Damn my pride :-)

gad - I also worked my butt off to get through undergrad. Insult to injury? I transferred from a lesser school as a sophomore with a 3.7 GPA, as a lit major. Then I had to take extra science and Math classes, AND they didn't accept my transfer GPA. Then, I wanted to take so many classes I didn't have room for in my schedule b/c of their general ed requirements (which the general ed classes I had taken at the other school did not fulfill, for WHATever reason) that I petitioned for a schedule override for extra seat hours every term, taking 6 classes every term except my student teaching semester. Also, I was working over 40 hours a week and commuting 30 minutes. I'm amazed I graduated at all...but, I had a 4.0 my student teaching semester, and graduated with 176 credits as an undergrad. So, in retrospect, my 2.66 undergrad GPA isn't so bad after all.

I finished my MA last spring with a 4.0, incidentally...now, waiting on PhD programs to weigh in. Trying to keep from stressing too hard. But I wanted you to know that I also worked my tail off as an undergrad, ended up with a less-than-stellar GPA as a result, and did manage to continue on in graduate school - it can be done!! I am proof positive that they do look at everything, not JUST GPA.

You want the funny bit? I attended one Master's program for a year, and they did not bat an eye at my 2.66 undergrad GPA. I had to quit before I finished that degree, but ended up with a respectable 3.56 despite a lot of family issues at the time. Then when I applied to another program, they made me take two courses before admitting me because my undergraduate GPA was too low. They would not even consider the newer, and therefore more indicative of my abilities, graduate-level GPA. Nor did they consider the fact that I was overriding every term and had a higher GPA if you factored in my transfer numbers.

So, long story short, it really depends on the program you are applying to.

sub 3.5 gpas can be a pretty big negative in some disciplines (engineering and applied science tend to frown upon them). During undergrad i had a 3.3 (3.4 in major), research experience, was on one publication and was about to submit for a another at the time of application, had lots of extra-curriculars, a 1440 GRE and most of the schools I applied to said that my GPA was 'worrying' or 'weaker than we'd like' or something to that effect.

The discipline/field has a large effect on how GPA is viewed and weighted.

Yeah, I have a 3.3 undergrad and despite the fact it was 13 years ago I graduated, I have almost perfect GREs and I took challenging post-bacc courses for As, I know for a fact my app did not pass the first round at some schools and was never really reviewed because of grades I received when I was 17-21.

Kinda frustrating except a couple schools did look past this. I think this may be specific to Clinical psych which is super competitive.

@hamster - Yeah, that's more of a product of the program you are applying to. Excellent clinical programs are super picky. I currently work in recruitment/admissions at a university with an outstanding clinical program. I have been told to be willing to tell students who inquire about the program that they might not have much of a chance of admission when they present me with a low GPA/GRE.

My undergraduate GPA was just under a 3.0 (2.98 to be exact). It might stop some people from getting the opportunities they seek but I'm ornery so for whatever reason it hasn't stopped me yet. I keep expecting it to stop me sometime...

Actually, I figure early March should give me one denial to an elite school. Their loss. I already got into my first choice. blink.gif

My point is not hubris (no, really, I promise!), instead it's that if you're confident in your abilities there is always a way to sell it with confidence and choice wording. This is especially true when it comes to professional programs as opposed to academic programs. Stellar work experience can overcome a great deal.

Best of luck to everyone!