Really foolish topic, I know

splendora

But maybe a good distraction for those who are waiting to hear back from schools. Have you ever been in love / lust / crush with a professor? I know of at least one student who ended up marrying a prof (she was a grad student of his) and I know SO SO many who have imagined something to that effect. I am currently in crush and while I harbor no illusions of marrying that poor unsuspecting professor, my crush is one of those really painful, really delicious mid-teen kinds (though I am much older), where I literally can't sleep, can barely eat, and can think of little else except for him. He is a most delicious, nerdy, shrimpy, scruffy, smart, dorky, young, sad-eyed (or so I fancy), skinny, beautiful-haired man, and I haven't studied for the past few days because whenever I try, I start daydreaming about him. Hopeless situation I know, but I am reminded of the philosopher Sartre, who was really ugly, and got tons and tons of women. I wish average looking girls had it that easy because this prof will never look at me :(

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha, I had a crush like that on my first cultural anthropology professor. He had super long hair and a bunch of tattoos and he was a righteous professor, which was part of the reason I was so into him.

Also had a really big crush on a young female professor I had for a few classes. She was terribly intimidating and brilliant. I think I'm attracted to brilliance - that has to explain it! Also, this is a really fun topic.

One of my TAs had a crush on me. We became pretty good friends, but I always had this feeling like he wished he was making out with me, which was not entirely comfortable. He's hot but I was taken - I've been with the son of one of my professors for five years now. :)

And, that is a COMPLETELY ADORABLE story, ewurgler. I went "D'awwwwwwww."

When I was an undergrad I ended up dating my TA for two years. We met during the spring quarter of my freshmen year and started seriously dating at the end of my sophomore year. Quite strange it was. It's always funny to hear people who have this fantasy of dating their professor or TA, and when I tell them I did date my TA it's as if I tasted the forbidden fruit. haha. It was fun for a while, but we've both moved on. I realized he has far too much of an ego and power trip than I could handle. haha.

This is an awesome topic!

Yes, I totally had a huge crush on one of my stats professors in college. And I would get really nervous and flustered around him which always resulted in my making an ass out of myself. It's hilarious in retrospect :)

Love this topic!

I'm am currently CRAZY about a prof of mine. Totally irrational, I know, but I can't think of a single thing I wouldn't do for this man. He's BRILLIANT, handsome, charismatic, an exceptional instructor, well respected in the field.....I'm completely baffled as to why he's single.

So, my roommate and I both have crushes on professors... haha, they're both married.

Its the kind of crush where you're like: When I'm that age, I hope I've found one like that!

Jeez, I just keel over when a guy is really smart and really nice... especially when he can debate extraordinarily well...

Haha, what a great topic! I seem to develop mini crushes on most of my male profs, but I think it is just because their older and wiser than all the dudes around me in undergrad. Or maybe it is because I have major daddy issues....Not sure. Probably both. :)

Is it taboo to date a prof in grad school? hrmmm...maybe we might all start acting on our crushes?!

I usually think the really really smart guys in the Sociology dept are gay (or married), which is why I never get that crazy. If they would just show a hint of masculinity (or nonmarriedness), whoo! I think I would have had at least 5 crushes on TAs in one year. That mid-teen kind too. Crushes are fun...but they hurt too. :( But there was this one Swedish professor who was super old (like 60 and I'm like 21), and I used to call him my husband to friends. Maybe if I get back into my alma mater I can start making moves. LOL!

We'll have to open a new subforum, "Help Me With My Sultry Taboo Intradepartmental Relationship."

:lol:

I definitely had crushes on profs as an undergrad. Even after I was married. :roll: I like to think I have a little more self-control now.

Note: Smart guys are mega-hot. Good thing I married one. :D

This topic could've been started by me, it's so close to my mind! haha! I have this weird attraction to professors/teachers. I think it's the intellectual thing, or the mentor thing. I don't know, but in any case, I found a bunch of my undergrad professors hot and probably fantasized about a few of them. If a professor has tenure in grad school, maybe it wouldn't be so taboo! I can see myself being that person that marries one of her professors. Or at least has to transfer schools because of an interdepartmental relationship issue! ;) I know of at least one student/professor marriage, but it happened after she graduated. So who knows. I think secret affairs probably happen more than we know about though.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that one of my superhot undergrad profs drove me to a banquet one time, picked me up outside my dorm, in a hot red convertible!! I kept telling everyone I had a date with my hot professor lol!

Whether or not its allowed, there are so many interdepartmental affairs with grad students, other faculty etc. I think it is ok most of the time unless the affair takes place while the professor is responsible for grading or in some way evaluating (diss committee) the grad student.

I resolved this morning, because I really must get back to studying, that I would dress really poorly to all my classes with him and in that manner make myself feel so bad that I'd just give up all hope about him; the self-abasement being a gentler torture than looking at him several times a week and daydreaming about things that can never be (I really want to touch his hair). I carried my resolution out and class was predictably miserable. I stayed after class to talk to him though about an upcoming assignment and when I was done and turned away, he pointed out that my bag was open and offered to zip it up for me. I kid you not. Is that even normal??? I was so embarrassed that I didn't even think and muttered something inarticulate and closed it myself. He pointed to Woody Allen's "Side Effects", which I had in my hand, and said he had read that a few years earlier. And I am SO SO SO STUPID. Instead of asking him if he liked it, I said Woody Allen was crazy and then asked something about the stuff he'd been talking about in class. SO STUPID. I can never make normal conversation. He must think I'm an ill-mannered idiot and really, really thick and it's so bad because I want to get a reference letter from him. I didn't even wish him a good weekend and just said "bye" and got out of there. His eyes are so beautiful!!!

I agree, there's a lot of affairs between students and professors. A girl I know who graduated about six or seven years ago from my Classics department said that at the time she was there, several professors divorced their wives because they had affairs with their students. I don't know whether she was exaggerating, but regardless, there's a tenured professor at our department right now and he divorced his wife and married his grad student. Now all three teach in the same university, in the very same department. I don't think I'd have anywhere near the grace the ex-wife has shown.

Cute stories everybody. When I first started university, I remember spending lots and lots of time obsessing about professors. I haven't for more than two years, which is why crushing on this professor is such a shock to the system. Sighs galore.

there's a tenured professor at our department right now and he divorced his wife and married his grad student. Now all three teach in the same university, in the very same department. I don't think I'd have anywhere near the grace the ex-wife has shown.

Wow - I have no words. If I were the ex-wife I'm sure I'd go home every night and put away a bottle of wine.