Really foolish topic, I know

splendora

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my MA Grad-Assistant office we have a running gag that all of us have an "academic crush" which may or may not be related to actual attraction to the faculty member in question. None of us ever take it anywhere, but its kind of funny to try to guess who is "acad-crushing" on whom. Its also a good indicator that we need to head out for GA Happy Hour and get out of the department for a bit :)

What's even more foolish/disturbing/embarrassing is when you're a grad student and you think one of the undergrads are cute.

I had crushes on my profs in undergrad all the time. I probably would have shameful crushes on my profs in grad school too except everyone in my dept is a 60+ -year-old wrinkly/fat/bald/mole-y/ornery/modernist/positivist/dull old bag.

There was only one in undergrad for me -- my American History professor. Cute, funny, brilliant, personable, admired his teaching style, dressed well -- if I weren't already with someone and if he wasn't married, I would have married him! As it is, I am just planning to name our first boy child after him -- haha!

My friends all thought I was nuts for having crushes on professors, but now I have proof that I'm not alone!! :) And if Harrison Ford taught at my school, I'd be sorely tempted to trap him in a supply closet and have my way with him. ;)

Haha! I'm glad this topic was posted because it made me laugh...

For undergrads I guess it doesn't count if the grad student you're dating was never your TA. But it is intradepartmental ;)

Sadly, I've also heard a lot about one particular young professor with children in our department who cheated on his wife with no less than 3 undergraduate students of his. She finally found out and kicked him and a grad student he was boarding up at the time, out of the house.

I've never had one, thank goodness, but there was one prof in another department at my undergrad who made women swoon. A couple of my friends were obsessed with him and enjoyed overanalyzing his every word and email. (He did nothing to discourage this, and perhaps was a little more friendly than necessary. He also was in a discipline with mainly male majors, and openly stacked his classes with women to even it out.) Two years after graduation, my best friend called me last month and said "Hey, I just had a dream about that professor...."

There were two profs in my last faculty who were both total cuzhounds. At the begining of the year, lots of female students were drawn to their swagger, I guess, and had a big crush on each of them.

It was pretty hilarious that, by the end of the year, most had ALREADY outgrown them.

Of course, these two guys stay the same, year after year after year. :lol:

Well...yeah, the prof can get into pretty big trouble for that...

Well, I know at my school there is no formal proscription against students dating professors. In the graduate handbook, right under the section with info about fellowships and assistantships, I remember seeing a section to the effect of "guidelines for schwumping your professors." It basically says that student/faculty relationships are not officially prohibited, but they're strongly discouraged....So yeah, now we can all go hop into bed with our hot professors :twisted: And, splendora's little minutia-speckled crush accounts are just too much, I am laughing my pants off; yes, adorable.

On another not, it seems very telling that this entire thread is about women students being smitten with profs who are men (or women students having crushes on women profs :wink: ) I guess women professors just don't do it for the boys...?

I hope I don't go for the boys when I'm a professor. I like older men anyway. I'm sure there probably are instances of that, but probably not as common. I bet guys think their profs are hot though. I know we had a few female profs that all the guys drooled over.

I guess women professors just don't do it for the boys...?

By this I meant do male STUDENTS become attracted to female PROFESSORS--NOT the other way around!!! So far there have been no first-hand male testimonies on this thread saying, "oh, I had SUCH a big crush on my [female] professor, blah blah"

That's 'cause the guys are too embarrassed to admit it. :D

I had a pretty innocent crush on a professor from my alma mater. She was beautiful and one of the most genuinely awesome people I've ever met. Always smiling, funny, full of good advice and understanding... sigh. I mean, she didn't break my heart or anything, but I'll be quite the sad phonologist if I can't someday find a girl with at least a few of her qualities.

I'm a little worried about this. I can just see a Mrs. Robinson thing happening with me, lmao. :roll:

I work & teach at the same university where I got my undergrad. The same guy I was seeing when I was a student left school, and then decided to return to school at said university after a hiatus... as soon as I graduated. He is in a completely different department than I teach in (I deal with mostly freshmen, anyway) and everyone who needs to be is aware of our situation is but it's still weird and awkward sometimes.

It's a major incentive NOT to let this happen to me when I'm in grad school!! :wink:

One of my undergrad mentors--and major academic crushes--was a philosophy professor who was handsome, brilliant, and had that dry, sardonic wit that I eat up like candy. Naturally, he's happily married with four children, and his complete and utter devotion to his wife made me want him that much more! Gah!

Although I teach undergrads now, I hope to one day be the hot female professor. Not that I'd act on it. I just want universal adoration. :D

Although I teach undergrads now, I hope to one day be the hot female professor. Not that I'd act on it. I just want universal adoration. :D

Yes, having the little chile pepper under my name on "Ratemyprofessor.com" is a major personal life goal of mine.

...*only half kidding*

I think we all would much rather have crushes than investigate the meanings of them.... BUT, just because I will never meet any of you people in my life, I'll analyze mine. I already have really so here's the results: I think I have a daddy complex because I'm a daddy's girl, but more than that, I have some sort of security/acceptance thing going on because I've been legally blind my entire life and never really accepted by most people and all I've had is academics. Growing up the teachers were the ones to talk to me and make me feel accepted so I'm guessing that's where it comes from... on top of just having a crazy attraction to anyone with a big brain ;)

I think we all would much rather have crushes than investigate the meanings of them.... BUT, just because I will never meet any of you people in my life, I'll analyze mine.

See, I personally am looking a bit askance at discussing my sexual and emotional proclivities where possible members of my future cohort can see them. :wink: :lol: