Stanford University

starglow

Hello!

I'll be heading to Stanford in the Fall.

M.A. in East Asian studies :)

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I'm still considering, but if I don't hear back from Columbia in time then it's Stanford for me. Also East Asian Studies. I'm interested in late Qing/early Republican Chinese history as well as Japanese history of the same time period. What are your interests? Are you thinking of going on for phd?

I actually don't know all that much about Stanford EAS (and yet still considering going there lol), do you know what the program is known for, where strengths lie, etc?

Hi

Any news of funding/Financial aid from Stanford ? who all accepted?. Should we have a seperated thread for students heading to Stanford for fall '12

Hey, I found out that their EE department has no fellowships for the MS programs, but you can apply for assistantships after the first quarter. Hope this helps.

A seperate thread would not be a bad idea for those that have accepted their admissions offer.

Attending a MS in CEM on the fall

Are you guys applying for housing? any suggestions?

It really depends on what you are looking for and what your own personal status is - i.e. single, couple, or couple with children. I believe someone provided a link above to the 2012-2013 graduate housing rates which also show all the housing options. Take a look at that and if you go to Stanford's Housing website, you can get more information about each respective building.

Hope this helps.

It really depends on what you are looking for and what your own personal status is - i.e. single, couple, or couple with children. I believe someone provided a link above to the 2012-2013 graduate housing rates which also show all the housing options. Take a look at that and if you go to Stanford's Housing website, you can get more information about each respective building.

Hope this helps.

I have checked all the options at stanford page, I am single and I think I am going to apply for the cheapest option which is EV efficiency apartments.... I just wanted to know if maybe someone have some suggestions or advice regarding this process

I have checked all the options at stanford page, I am single and I think I am going to apply for the cheapest option which is EV efficiency apartments.... I just wanted to know if maybe someone have some suggestions or advice regarding this process

All i know is the housing application is available via Axes. Once you log in, look to the right side of the screen and it should mention housing application there. Clicking on it opens up a new page where housing info as well as the application can be accessed.

All i know is the housing application is available via Axes. Once you log in, look to the right side of the screen and it should mention housing application there. Clicking on it opens up a new page where housing info as well as the application can be accessed.

I created my SUNid on wenesday and I still havent been able to log in on Axes... I dont know how many days I need to wait before its activated

I created my SUNid on wenesday and I still havent been able to log in on Axes... I dont know how many days I need to wait before its activated

From the link http://studentaffairs.stanford.edu/gradadmissions/admitted/offer, it states this:

"Accepting or Declining the Offer

Once you complete the SUNet ID application process, it will be approximately 24 hours before your SUNet ID will be available. You can then log into Axess to accept or decline Stanford’s offer of admission.Note: If accepting, it will take an additional 24 hours before your access to other Stanford online services, including email, will be available."

So, you should be able to access it immediately after creating your SUNet ID, so that you can respond to their offer of admission.

From the link http://studentaffair.../admitted/offer, it states this:

"Accepting or Declining the Offer

Once you complete the SUNet ID application process, it will be approximately 24 hours before your SUNet ID will be available. You can then log into Axess to accept or decline Stanford’s offer of admission.Note: If accepting, it will take an additional 24 hours before your access to other Stanford online services, including email, will be available."

So, you should be able to access it immediately after creating your SUNet ID, so that you can respond to their offer of admission.

In the letter of admission they sent me it says it took about 1 week to activate the SUNid before you could log on to axes, that is why im confused.

Is there priority for housing based on time of submission?

Can you edit your app after submitting?

I'm wondering if I should apply now with incomplete info or wait for more info and apply later.

@waiting: If your request was successful you'll get an email to your stanford account.

@slorg: Priority is based on lottery, not on submission. You can edit your app until the May deadline. All the information is on the application and on the housing website.

So are most you applying for on-campus housing? What have you heard about the different options? I've heard:

Munger is expensive and social.

Rains is rundown and social.

Lyman is far away from stuff.

EV is less social.

So are most you applying for on-campus housing? What have you heard about the different options? I've heard:

Munger is expensive and social.

Rains is rundown and social.

Lyman is far away from stuff.

EV is less social.

basically the same thing you heard, what do you know about the 2bedroom efficiency apartments? their price seems to low compared to the other options? are there any downside to these apartments?,

I believe the efficiency apartments are designed to hold one person normally. One person lives in a bedroom, and one person lives in the living room, which has been converted to a bedroom except without any privacy.

When one person lives in a living room, how is the decision made? Does the lottery system choose, or is it first come first serve, or do you have to haggle with your roommate?

I believe the efficiency apartments are designed to hold one person normally. One person lives in a bedroom, and one person lives in the living room, which has been converted to a bedroom except without any privacy.

I was talking about the 2 bedroom efficiency apartments, not the one with the living room. Any ideas how good they are?