Stanford University

starglow

I was talking about the 2 bedroom efficiency apartments, not the one with the living room. Any ideas how good they are?

The "quality" of each apartment depends on which area/building you're talking about. Do you have a specific two-bedroom apartment in mind? Like I said before, I'm 99% sure that the "efficiency" means the apartments with converted living rooms.

In EV:

"All mid-rise apartments have one bedroom. When two single students are sharing, the living room may be converted into a second bedroom, separated from the kitchen by a privacy divider. In these cases, students often agree to switch places mid-year. Students who want to bring their own beds may store the University bed at their own expense. No storage is available for unneeded furniture. Students provide their own cookware, dishes, utensils, towels, and other kitchen items."

The 2-bd efficiencies are different from other two-bedroom apartments. For instance, the two bedroom apartments in Lyman are quite nice (my friend lives in one), but those aren't efficiencies. They are regular two-bedroom apartments.

Edited by syn2012

There are 2 bedroom efficiency apartments in EV Highrises, which cost just a little bit more than the 1 bedroom with living room converted. You can check them in the link bellow. They seem pretty nice, of course smaller than the ones in Lyman; that was why I was wondering if there is any downside to these apartments...

"Unrestricted views are one of the benefits of living in Blackwelder and Quillen, Escondido Village’s two 12-story towers. Each building has 110 two-bedroom efficiency apartments, each shared by two single students."

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/rde/cgi-bin/drupal/housing/housing/escondido-village-highrise-apartments

The efficiency apartments are not bad, but lack any sort of living room. The regular two bedroom apartments have a separate living space in which you could have a few people over, eat your meals in, or study in if you wanted a change of environment. Basically enough room for a small couch, table, maybe a few chairs. The efficiency apartments have a kitchen and a counter you could probably squeeze two stools at, and then a skinny hallway leading directly to the bedrooms/bathrooms. So the downside is... if you ever want another person over they will be socializing in your bedroom aaand there's not really like a casual space to just "live."

The efficiency apartments are not bad, but lack any sort of living room. The regular two bedroom apartments have a separate living space in which you could have a few people over, eat your meals in, or study in if you wanted a change of environment. Basically enough room for a small couch, table, maybe a few chairs. The efficiency apartments have a kitchen and a counter you could probably squeeze two stools at, and then a skinny hallway leading directly to the bedrooms/bathrooms. So the downside is... if you ever want another person over they will be socializing in your bedroom aaand there's not really like a casual space to just "live."

I guess I could live with that, thanks for the info! What about T.V. do any of the apartments have Television and Cable T.V.?

lol i think the difference is almost 300 dollars ($698 for the efficiency apartments vs. $972 for the regular 2 bedroom apartments). i'd rather save 300 bucks per month than have a living room. my friends are gonna have to live with socializing in my bedroom lol (if i get lucky and am assigned to the efficiency apartment).

incoming biosciences graduate student btw! :)

lol i think the difference is almost 300 dollars ($698 for the efficiency apartments vs. $972 for the regular 2 bedroom apartments). i'd rather save 300 bucks per month than have a living room. my friends are gonna have to live with socializing in my bedroom lol (if i get lucky and am assigned to the efficiency apartment).

incoming biosciences graduate student btw! :)

haha same here, I hope I beat you in the lottery

I just moved to Stanford, and now begins the phase where I look to meet people and make friends. Anyone want to throw a frisbee or play cards or meet up or something?