Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AnsuEmi

Asking for decision deadline extension?

Recommended Posts

Yesterday I received the super exciting news that I got into a high-ranking school, but they have asked me to give them a decision in 14 days (March 20th). I have never had the opportunity to visit this school, and I have two scheduled visits for other schools that I've been accepted to during the last week of March and first week of April. Is it reasonable to ask the school for a deadline extension to April 15th? If not, is it worth reserving a spot in the class ($500 deposit) just in case? I'm not really sure what to do... Any advice would be appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm visiting the other schools the 27th-29th of March and the 3rd-5th of April. I will be receiving my official financial aid offer from this school in a few days, but I'm not expecting it to be very much. Even so, I don't want to turn down this school just because I would have to give them a decision almost a month earlier than the other schools. Do you think it would be okay to email them asking for an extension? At the very least I would like to be able to visit the school, which I cannot do in the next two weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have two weeks to decide at one school because i was offered a scholarship, but i'm waitlisted at programs with better funding and/or better fit. should i tell the school that i'm waiting to hear back about other opportunities, or would that just make things sour if i went there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm visiting the other schools the 27th-29th of March and the 3rd-5th of April. I will be receiving my official financial aid offer from this school in a few days, but I'm not expecting it to be very much. Even so, I don't want to turn down this school just because I would have to give them a decision almost a month earlier than the other schools. Do you think it would be okay to email them asking for an extension? At the very least I would like to be able to visit the school, which I cannot do in the next two weeks.

Its your right to ask. The worst they can say is no and if they do that, then you can decide to accept their offer. You can always decline later should you get a better offer or you prefer somewhere else. Its a iffy situation but it never hurts to ask. They know that they're not the only school you've applied to. So go ahead and CALL them and ask I'd say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm visiting the other schools the 27th-29th of March and the 3rd-5th of April. I will be receiving my official financial aid offer from this school in a few days, but I'm not expecting it to be very much. Even so, I don't want to turn down this school just because I would have to give them a decision almost a month earlier than the other schools. Do you think it would be okay to email them asking for an extension? At the very least I would like to be able to visit the school, which I cannot do in the next two weeks.

They're making you pay $500 for what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has come up in other threads, but most schools have signed on to the CGS agreement to have a nationwide April 15 deadline to accept an offer, so that schools can't force you to decide before hearing back from other programs. It's worth writing to someone in the program or even an administrator to ask if they are a signatory to this agreement (most schools are). It's not at all uncommon for professors on a committee to be totally ignorant of the actual administrative rules and procedures, so they may not have realized that they're not supposed to make you decide before then.

Of course, they may not be signatories, but it's definitely worth asking about.

Also, I have to second: They're making you pay $500 for what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're making you pay $500 for what?

To reserve a spot in the class. If I do not pay the deposit/accept a spot by March 20th, it will be forfeited. It would be credited towards my tuition, but if I decided not to attend after having paid the deposit, it is non-refundable.

Thanks for the information, everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the specific wording regarding the deposit:

"In order to confirm your participation in the incoming class, you must complete the online Enrollment Form and submit a non-refundable tuition deposit of $500 (to be applied to your first semester’s tuition) within 14 days of receiving this letter. "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with splitends comments/advice on this one as well. So you need to go that route; call around to the administration and find out.

About that deposit, I think its unethical to ask that of a student. I mean, are you renting an apartment from them? Of course not. Asking for a deposit in order for you to be accepted? That sounds unethical to me. Basically, they're saying if you dont pay the money then you wont get in. Your acceptance shouldnt be based on your ability to pay but on your application, educational qualifications, LORs, etc. But thats just my opinion.

I really hope you'd be able to work out the extension so that you can have time to visit the other schools and make an informed decision. This school asking for 500.00 to secure your acceptance sounds too shady to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AnsuEmi: What exactly is the program you're applying to? I'm not sure if there are different norms between academic versus professional programs here that might explain things, but I've never ever heard of someone having to make a deposit on a degree program, especially so early in the admissions process.

Hmm....

I think you should really ask professors in your undergrad institution if this is normal behavior in your field. It seems fishy to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@AnsuEmi: What exactly is the program you're applying to? I'm not sure if there are different norms between academic versus professional programs here that might explain things, but I've never ever heard of someone having to make a deposit on a degree program, especially so early in the admissions process.

This particular program is the Master of Science in Bioethics at Columbia University. I did discuss this with one of my academic advisers today, and she didn't like the sound of it either. It's kind of a bullying move to try to pressure me into accepting so quickly and making a tuition deposit. I checked, and Columbia is signatory to the CGS Resolution. I tried calling, and was just put through to an answering machine, so hopefully they will get back to me in the next few days. Having heard from you and see_bella, it doesn't seem like this is normal procedure. It's definitely turning me off. Neither of the other two schools I've been accepted to has asked for a deposit this early. Thank you both for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applied to an international MA program at a pretty competitive school and found myself in a similar situation- I only had two weeks to decide and they accepted me in February! I originally emailed the admissions office directly, and did not hear back from them. After that I emailed the program director, who had specifically contacted me, and told him the situation. They gave me an extra month and a half. I would probably ask if you really need more time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applied to an international MA program at a pretty competitive school and found myself in a similar situation- I only had two weeks to decide and they accepted me in February! I originally emailed the admissions office directly, and did not hear back from them. After that I emailed the program director, who had specifically contacted me, and told him the situation. They gave me an extra month and a half. I would probably ask if you really need more time.

I'm glad to hear that! I've tried calling and emailing with no luck so far, but hopefully they will get back to me on Monday. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to clarify, the CGS resolution applies *only* to offers of funding, and not to offers of admission. I see so much misinformation being thrown around about it lately.

It's also worth noting that the resolution is mre of a 'guideline' than a hard and fast ruling the way most schools interpret it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for curiosity, Is the resolution applicable only for US & Canadian universities? Are European universities signatory to it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.