Texas A&M University (College Station)

rockhopper

Yes I am, but leaving to get my PhD next year

Cool at ND? Great school.

I'm most likely going to go to the Bush School for the International Affairs program in the fall. Were you able to make friends through the Bush School? Any advice for next year?

Yup. Should be great.

Since the school building is so removed from the rest of the campus, everyone is in the same building all day. This leads to making friends quite easily because you are with the same people in the same building all day.

My biggest advice would be that even if you want to go into government, don't just take "practitioner" classes. Take a bunch of the best academic classes that are offered because it will help you immensely to understand what is going on. And it will train you to stay current with the news and the current debates in Washington. the practical stuff is changing all the time, but learning how to think is always valuable.

I have another question for current grads- how much socializing goes on between grad students of different disciplines? Or is it mostly just hanging out with your own cohort on the weekends, etc?

In my program I am really only friends with my department, however we are slightly removed from every other program so we are a close knit group. Not sure about other programs on the main part of campus.

This is my fifth year doing grad studies here, and the vast majority of grad students here hang out with either people from the same nationality or from the same department/college. This is made especially true as there isn't really much to do in the city compared to larger ones. My friends who did undergrad in larger cities commented that the only source of fun here is dependent on the people you hang out with, and I think it's very true.

Hey @rockhopper and others it may concern, regarding looking for roommates and housing, I've been checking out aggiesearch the past couple of weeks, which apparently is a place where you can find rooms, apartments, and other folks looking for roommates. Folks who post are affiliated with TAMU and Blinn (students, alumni). It's a smaller network of people looking, but that might be a helpful place. I've looked into some leads there. Check it out:

https://aggiesearch.tamu.edu/

Hey Everyone,

I was admitted to TAMU under the Mech Engineering program in Fall of 2011, I deferred to Fall 2012, and will be attending this August! I guess my current concern is with regard to housing. Is anyone staying at the on-campus (grad) apartments? How are they? I am moving from California so that they are fully furnished is a massive plus. The other concern that I have is that I have received almost no information regarding the program or what I need to do prior to starting school again.

Thus far the only things I have heard about are submitting a first semester proposed course schedule prior to the start of the first semester. It seems to me that the admissions process at TAMU for the grad program is extremely informal. There is also little useful information on the Mech E website in this regard.

I have been looking for a "dummies guide" of sorts to graduate school online, but most appear to be catered towards PHD studies.

Also, is the social life actually that abysmal at TAMU? From what I gather it doesn't appear that there is much social life for grad students outside of one's department... or much to do at the school at all...

Hey Everyone,

I was admitted to TAMU under the Mech Engineering program in Fall of 2011, I deferred to Fall 2012, and will be attending this August! I guess my current concern is with regard to housing. Is anyone staying at the on-campus (grad) apartments? How are they? I am moving from California so that they are fully furnished is a massive plus. The other concern that I have is that I have received almost no information regarding the program or what I need to do prior to starting school again.

Thus far the only things I have heard about are submitting a first semester proposed course schedule prior to the start of the first semester. It seems to me that the admissions process at TAMU for the grad program is extremely informal. There is also little useful information on the Mech E website in this regard.

I have been looking for a "dummies guide" of sorts to graduate school online, but most appear to be catered towards PHD studies.

Also, is the social life actually that abysmal at TAMU? From what I gather it doesn't appear that there is much social life for grad students outside of one's department... or much to do at the school at all...

I personally wouldn't recommend grad housing as you can find fully furnished apartments cheaper and better IMO around town, but that is up to you. I moved from PA so had a similar concern and found plenty of places offered fully furnished. Also remember that it is still April and the program doesn't start til August. Right now everyone is gearing up for finals so I bet you will hear much more in May. When I got accepted my Master's offer, most information about what to do when I got here came around may so I wouldnt worry much. I know for sure there is a grad student orientation in August.

And as far as grad student social life - I think there is a big social life here, although it may be different than california. There is a bar district downtown that is fun, plenty of local sports leagues to participate it, big cities short drives away, Downtown Bryan which has some more unique places to visit and people do make friends outside of the department if they go out and meet people. There is plenty to do here and people to meet.

If anyone's looking to go to football games, let me know! Coming from a small, liberal arts undergrad without a football team, sports are one of the things I'm looking forward to most at A&M :)

If anyone's looking to go to football games, let me know! Coming from a small, liberal arts undergrad without a football team, sports are one of the things I'm looking forward to most at A&M :)

Be prepared - they will expect you to know all the traditions even for your first game. I went to a big undergrad with a giant football team (went to a BCS bowl this year :D) and I was not prepared for A&M games. I actually found myself turned off by how stuck in tradition they were. You have to stand for whole game (not a big deal) do the yells when they tell you to, but I think most annoying is the rules people have that arent actually traditions. My very first game was in August and was super hot and I was wearing a hat. Some people think you are supposed to take your hat off for every chant (which isnt true and if it was then you wouldnt wear the hat ever) someone actually took the hat off my head and threw it on the ground. Then people will crowd into your seats so they can sit with your friends so you have no where to stand. Hopefully moving to the SEC will fix some of this.

Hey Everyone,

I have only sent in an acceptance for the scholarship offer to my specific program and the Director of Admissions there told me they would send more information in May on what to do to prepare for classes and give textbook suggestions for review, so I wouldn't worry yet. It is early but you could also contact the director of admissions for your program. My letter also said that orientation would start August 20th (I don't know if thats all grad students or just my program).

There's actually a lot to do in CS for it being such a small town. I moved there from Chicago but loved it. Lots of nightlife, sporting events, school events, concerts, and things not too far to do in Texas, like Lake Bryan, float the river in San Marcus, Austin, Houston, etc. Its also a lot cheaper than going out in a big city!

And I'm going to have to completely disagree with Bdeniso and say that the traditions (and values) are the best part of the school. They really make you feel like you are a part of something.

And I'm going to have to completely disagree with Bdeniso and say that the traditions (and values) are the best part of the school. They really make you feel like you are a part of something.

I mostly meant traditions at the football games. I am not a fan of basically being assaulted for wearing something so I don't get sunburnt. I like some, some I do not. Most of the other traditions around campus are good.

I mostly meant traditions at the football games. I am not a fan of basically being assaulted for wearing something so I don't get sunburnt. I like some, some I do not. Most of the other traditions around campus are good.

Yeah, being assaulted for wearing a hat is pretty extreme... but then again tamu being previously a military only/male only/white only school...

Honestly, grad students don't really do traditions like undergrads, since most grad students did their undergrad elsewhere and don't feel as attached to the traditions there.

• 2 weeks later...

Will be attending in August 2012 if all goes well. Starting my masters after 6 years of professional practice here at home. It gonna be great to going back to full time student mode :):)

Does anyone know of any apartments that one should avoid?

I'm looking for something that is not an undergrad part palace.

The main places to stick to that have a large concentration of grad students include some parts of Northgate or across the street from north campus (e.g., College Main, Casa Del Sol, University Apartments) or any that are farther south like apartments located near Southwest Parkway or Holleman Drive. A large number of undergraduates tend to live in the "McApartments" on Wellborne Rd or Harvey Rd, so you may want to stay away from those.

When I went to visit, I was driven by the Zone- hilarious. Looks like one continuous frat party!

Sadly, it really is...

Hey guys

Stumbled on this forum and thought I'd contribute.

I'm headed to Texas A&M to get my PhD this fall 2012. Looks like College Station will be called my home for the next couple of years. I am 27, so definitely am worried about the whole undergraduate scene. Right now I'm looking for a place to live. Do y'all have any suggestions? I'm confused about Bryan - I've heard things ranging from it being a nice place for graduate students to live to it being ghetto.

I'm from Texas so the culture shock won't be too bad, but my idea of a great city to live in is, unfortunately, not CS.

The great thing though is that the small town has pretty much everything you might need. Houston and Austin are a small drive away. We will be so engrossed in our studies (hopefully) that we won't need distractions. We can find a nice apartment for a reasonable price. and ... Texas is just awesome.

Downtown Bryan is a nice place, but outside of that its pretty bad. So thats why you get contrasting opinions. Really just don't live in a mega student apartment complex and you'll be fine.

The great thing though is that the small town has pretty much everything you might need. Houston and Austin are a small drive away. We will be so engrossed in our studies (hopefully) that we won't need distractions. We can find a nice apartment for a reasonable price. and ... Texas is just awesome.

I don't consider College Station to be a small town, and see it more like a small city since it has all the basic things that larger cities have (this is coming from my experiences of having previously lived in San Francisco, Los Angeles, San Antonio, and Austin). Also, College Station is an amazing city to do research due to less distractions.

I made a list of all the apartment & area suggestions on here. Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I will be apartment hunting in College Station in about 2 weeks from now. I'll go ahead and post my findings and opinions on here.

Oh and I definitely won't be viewing the Wave Z Islander.

;)

I put in a request for the on campus university apartments. Apparently they have an area, within campus, designated for housing of graduated students and married couples. I expect these to be way calmer than your usual undergrad dorms.