Texas A&M University (College Station)

rockhopper

I put in a request for the on campus university apartments. Apparently they have an area, within campus, designated for housing of graduated students and married couples. I expect these to be way calmer than your usual undergrad dorms.

I remember that place having a waiting list, and some times grad students who apply don't get accepted. Do you have a back-up housing option, just in case?

Change of plans - getting nervous on finding a place so will be heading in College Station tomorrow!! Here is a list of the places I'm interested in viewing. They range from cheap to semi expensive (for a student) going anywhere from $450 to $1050.

-Crescent Point

-signature park

-park hudson place

-Broadstone Ranch

-Arbors at wolf pen creek

-Tower Park Apartments

-404 Second St. Apartments

-University Terrace

-holleman by the park

-redstone

-plantation oaks

-the enclave

-gateway / sterling

-knightsgate

-meadows point apartments

-walden pond

-treehouse apartments

-arbor square

-brazos point

-Presidio

The following are a big NO for me since they either (A) seem to cater to noisy undergraduates or (B) don't allow dogs (which is a must for me) or © do not come unfurnished.

-Factory / Warehouse

-The Zone

-The woodlands

-Wave Z Islander

-Callaway Villas

-McApartments

-Wellborne Rd

-Harvey Rd

-the district (aka melrose)

The factory / warehouse seems quite nice, however they do not allow dogs. Any suggestions or inputs would be most welcomed.

Edited by watsonkatherine

Change of plans - getting nervous on finding a place so will be heading in College Station tomorrow!! Here is a list of the places I'm interested in viewing. They range from cheap to semi expensive (for a student) going anywhere from $450 to $1050.

-Crescent Point

-signature park

-park hudson place

-Broadstone Ranch

-Arbors at wolf pen creek

-Tower Park Apartments

-404 Second St. Apartments

-University Terrace

-holleman by the park

-redstone

-plantation oaks

-the enclave

-gateway / sterling

-knightsgate

-meadows point apartments

-walden pond

-treehouse apartments

-arbor square

-brazos point

-Presidio

The following are a big NO for me since they either (A) seem to cater to noisy undergraduates or ( B) don't allow dogs (which is a must for me) or © do not come unfurnished.

-Factory / Warehouse

-The Zone

-The woodlands

-Wave Z Islander

-Callaway Villas

-McApartments

-Wellborne Rd

-Harvey Rd

-the district (aka melrose)

The factory / warehouse seems quite nice, however they do not allow dogs. Any suggestions or inputs would be most welcomed.

I lived at Crescent Pointe for a year and a half and loved it. It's quiet, a nice place, safe, friendly staff and quick maintenance, and the pool was never over crowded.I looked at park hudson and signature park too and thought Crescent Pointe was the best for me.

My friends that lived at factory/warehouse didn't like it because you could hear everything from your neighbors.

I remember that place having a waiting list, and some times grad students who apply don't get accepted. Do you have a back-up housing option, just in case?

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have a backup plan, thinking it would be fairly easy to obtain housing through the university itself. Now that you mention this, and not knowing College Station, I am beginning to think maybe I should plan a trip. Still, just came back from Gainesville which was my other choice and would not like going to Texas just to come back and return in August. Lets see how this turns out....

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have a backup plan, thinking it would be fairly easy to obtain housing through the university itself. Now that you mention this, and not knowing College Station, I am beginning to think maybe I should plan a trip. Still, just came back from Gainesville which was my other choice and would not like going to Texas just to come back and return in August. Lets see how this turns out....

My other choice was University of Florida (Gainesville), so what a coincidence. I choose Texas A&M for the program and the fact that I am from Texas, so it was a no brainier for me.

I just finished my housing hunting escape here in College Station / Bryan. I ended up signing with a place that wasn't even on my list - 21 Gramercy Park. It's a new complex located in the Park Hudson area that opened in November - I will be the first to live in my apartment. It's seems like a mix of older undergraduates, graduates, and young professionals, which was exactly what I was looking for. The address states it's in Bryan, TX, however it is literally less than 10 min from central A&M campus - including stoplights. I'm very happy with my decision.

It seems like most undergraduates flock towards east 2818 / harvey. The complexes there are extremely nice though, I was almost tempted to consider the woodlands.

Thats cool. I'm thinking about ways to avoid having to travel to texas just to find an apartment. I chose A&M for the program as well. Visited UF and realized the A&M program suited me better. I was leaning towards the on-campus apartments given the fact that I have never been to College Station and would be within reasonable walking distance of every place I'd need to go. Still, if something better showed up while living there I could make the switch. I was born in Austin, but my family only lived 2 years there, then moved down here. I have been back to visit a couple of times, though not recently.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I'm also heading down to TAMU in August. I had a question about grad student orientation.

Do we/should we go to the graduate student orientation? Does anyone know what will be covered?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am going to both the new graduate student orientation on aug 24th, and my department's new student orientation. you probably don't have to go to both i would imagine, but i'm figuring what the heck. at the very worst, it will be a waste of time and i might meet a few people. anyone else going on the 24th, let me know!

• 5 months later...

Heyy! I am also applying to AM for F13, and also for oceanography program!! I havn't got any emails, neither acceptance of rejection, from the admission office. Wish me good luck!

• 1 month later...

Heya all!

I've been accepted to a PhD program and am looking for info on College Station living.

Thanks for the nice list, ScaryGoose and others! Anyone have insight as to whether or not this list is still mostly relevant for F13? Would you scratch any off the list or add others?

My individual concerns for finding a place:

-It MUST be dog friendly! I'm looking to rent a house with my fiance and our two dogs (both are adult, female, medium sized around 40 lbs., quiet, and friendly- a lab mix and a boxer mix). We would prefer a house (1bedroom/1bath but more is okay if worth the $) with a decent sized, fenced yard but are willing to compromise if an apartment complex/ condo/ townhouse is optimally located, with plenty of roaming room for the dogs to play ball and sniff their hearts out.

-We both have good cars but like to have the option of biking and riding the bus. Suggestions?

-We're just over the whole shared living space thing. So, quiet and (relatively) private is a must!

-What are the leash and dog laws like in College Station? Are they okay with bully breeds? Any nice dog parks? People seem tolerant of decently behaved pets?

-Judging from the existing replies in this thread, it looks like we could live comfortably within a budget of about $800 for rent. We are flexible up to $1000 for rent per month but a little less is better. Doable?

So, to sum, nice, quiet, dog friendly, decent location, and a nice yard are what I'm looking for in a place (you know... the usual + multiple dogs).

I would love to hear from anyone who is familiar with College Station or the contiguous town of Bryan (or any livable places between College Station and Houston, or Austin, etc...).

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone.

Cheers!

howdy!

i have been offered a very nice tenure-track faculty position at TAMU, but i am a little worried about living in BCS as a 27-year-old single. i realize that this is a forum for grad students, but it was the most appropriate forum i could find online, so i hope you are still willing to help.

i am looking for a really nice 1-bedroom or large studio apartment in the style of The Lofts or similar, in an apartment complex with other young professionals (grad students and the occasional undergrad are no problem, of course). does such a thing exist in BCS? any recommendations?

in terms of going out, it looks like downtown bryan and some of the 21-and-up places in the northgate would be most suitable for me. i am from a city with excellent public transportation, so i was wondering how folks in BCS get back home after having had a couple of drinks? will i need to live in the northgate to be able to walk or ride my bike back home?

many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy!

Where are some good places for grad students to live? Specific apartments, areas? Preferably somewhere quiet without the noise of undergrad parties :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am interested in moving to CS sometime in August since my lease in Morgantown doesn't end till the end of July but I am learning that most places advertised now are for summer move-in. Hopefully there are some good places that are advertised during the summer.

Also, I would love to start meeting some people on here since I will not know anyone in CS when I move down there. I am going to be a history PhD student and hope to make some good friends in the department but I also want to get to know some outside people and have some friends that aren't historians. Looking forward to talking to some future Aggies!

• 3 months later...

I just signed a lease for an off-campus housing at Campus View apartments. Pictures look good and it 's very close to our department. But I realized reviews on Yelp is awful that made me worried. Anybody here who have been in those apartments could comment on theirs. I really appreciate for your help

• 4 months later...

@zaphyr- I imagine that you have already had some experience living in Campus View, but I just happened back on this forum thread (two years later) and I lived there last summer. terrible, and literally FILLED with cockroaches. I killed, on average, 3-4 per week. It was just a temporary housing while I was in-between leases but I'd never go back.