Queen's University (Kingston)

obrera

There isn't a thread for Queen's yet, so here goes.

I will (most likely) be attending Queen's in the fall, and I thought perhaps those of you who would be going there could join me in a discussion on the following topics:

• moving to Kingston
  • finding a place to live
  • size of the program you'll be attending
  • next steps
  • cool places to hang out
  • and anything else interesting

Okay... GO!

Heyy .. I'm in the same position as you. I'll most likely be accepting Queen's offer also - I'm with the department of religion..so an MA in religion and modernity.

I've only been to kingston once and not really sure about the area. Have you visited before?

The size of my programme is pretty small - I don't know the exact number but from previous years I've seen its usually between 8 - 12 people.

I think I have to start looking for a place soon.. I know some people who go there currently but probably won't be staying next year. I'm thinking I would need to get there end of August or early September. I'm going to be a TAs and there's days teaching the TAs how to be a TA haha

But yeah, I'm kinda clueless about kingston .. I know it's not that big and will probably be really different than what I've been used to for the past few years (big school, big city, big department)

how about you/anyone else planning on going to Queen's? ... anything interesting? :)

I was there last summer. It was really nice. Sunny, warm. I went swimming off Wolfe Island... so beautiful. I'm heading there in June to get a place, since apparently many of the good places are taken by September. It's a smaller city than what I'm used to, but I'm from Community College, so...

I'll be attending this fall for the M.A. Economics program and couldn't be happier! There are 50 people in the program and I've heard that the department's got a nice community feeling to it, which I'm really stoked about.

I've been looking at apartments online but everything seems to be either May 1st availability or summer sublets.

When I moved to Kingston for a Fall 2010 start, some current students recommended that I look at apartments run by Homestead Land Holdings. I found that their buildings are generally very nice (a few bad ones though) but could be a bit more pricey. But they do have very nice descriptions on their website (google for Homestead Land Holdings) and they are very good landlords.

Because of the high student population, and the constant turnover, there are many bad landlords in Kingston that take advantage of the fact that students tend to move very often. There are a lot of poorly maintained buildings because of this. If you live close enough, you should probably try to visit ~2 months before you want to move and sign a lease in advance. My wife and I visited ~12 places and about 9 of them were really bad!! We felt lucky to find a place that was decent and within our limited budget (although having 2 incomes helped). Another friend of ours didn't find a place until they got here and they were stuck between really bad places or paying a really high rent. And definitely don't sign a lease until you've actually seen the place!!

Of course, you may be looking for different things in terms of housing, and maybe we are just more picky. Apparently the area north of Princess St. is not as nice (but it's not so bad unless you go more than a few blocks north of Princess). The area directly north of Queen's is the student ghetto and is filled with noisy undergrads most of the year. Most grad students I know live either slightly north of princess st. or in between downtown and Queen's (i.e. east of campus).

Bottom line: All of Ontario has a 2-month notice rule for tenants to vacate. I'd strongly recommend that people visit ~2 months before they plan to move to sign a lease! A lot of undergrads move in (and their families come to help) in Sept. so pretty much all the hotels are booked up in the last 2 weeks of August. Since so many people are trying to move in during Sept 1, it might be a good idea to move August 1 and spend a month getting settled and doing fun things around the area before it gets too cold :P

Thanks for the advice, TakeruK! I've been looking at the Homestead buildings, particularly Skyline. Do you know anyone who lives there or has lived there and what it's like? Also, where can you recommend that's east of campus?

I don't know anyone who has lived in Skyline. I live in another Homestead building near Kingston Centre (a major bus loop) and I pay less than Skyline -- our rent started at $840 a month for a 1 bedroom. It's also much newer and looks better maintained than Skyline. The price, though, is the increased distance from school. Although it's not too far, but the buses take a REALLY roundabout route and it's a 25 minute commute by bus (my undergrad had a 1+ hour commute though!).

I also heard good things about the 2 Queen's-owned apartment buildings (John Orr Tower on West Campus and An Clachan near Kingston Centre). Their prices are MUCH better than equivalent housing for the public and there are several buses between West Campus and Main Campus every 15 minutes at least, because it seems like all bus routes in the area will pass through these 2 points. Also, they are reserved for graduate students/families only, so it's NOT like a dorm (they are actual apartment/condos).

Everyone I know who live east of campus is renting from smaller companies/individuals though. I think they are paying much less than Skyline's posted online 1-bedroom rates. My wife wanted somewhere more central since she didn't know where she would find work, and you can get nicer places for less money near Kingston Centre, so we mostly looked around there! Maybe the current grad students in your department can help you out though.

Guess we will be classmates this fall, me too going in masters in economics at Queen's.

The best time to find places to live was actually around february. but if you want to find a nice place like homestead owned apartments you should start looking by the end of june, since they need a 2 month notice before people move out.

I'll be attending this fall for the M.A. Economics program and couldn't be happier! There are 50 people in the program and I've heard that the department's got a nice community feeling to it, which I'm really stoked about.

I've been looking at apartments online but everything seems to be either May 1st availability or summer sublets.

hello all, i have been awarded a scholarship from queens worth 22,000 , but im not sure what will be the expences like , please see my estimate below , any idea ??

Tuition 6,357.99

Books and Supplies 2,000

Rent and Utilities 9,750

Food 2,700

Transportation 1,020

Miscellaneous 2,508

Total 24,335.99

Hi,

Tuition is indeed ~$6400, but there are also fees that you have to pay which is around ~$800/year (including the health and dental plan, so if you are covered by a spouse or parent(s), then you can opt out and save ~$200). The fees cost is something no one mentioned to me until I got here! Books and supplies depends on your program, but it seems really unlikely that it would cost $2000/year (unless this is something your department has estimated for you).

A one bedroom place near campus is probably going to cost 800-900 per month, usually includes heat and water. I pay about $30-$35/month for electricity but if you live in an old uninsulated place, it could be over $100 in the winter. Internet is about $60/month, TV is about $50 if you choose to have it (we don't). Don't forget your phone or cell phone plans. We also have a renters' insurance policy, which is about $15/month. So Rent+Utilities could cost you up $12,000 a year. If you share a 2 bedroom place, you could probably do it for 8000-9000 a year.

My wife and I spend about 7000/year in food (groceries and eating out) and supplies (toilet paper, soap, laundry, etc.). I guess your food+misc budget would cover all these things for one person, if that is what you meant by misc.

I'm not sure what you have budgeted for transportation. Part of the $800 in fees you have to pay include a ~$50 fee for the bus system. You can just use your student card and ride all the buses in Kingston for free. The bus system is terribly lacking though -- it's okay if you are commuting and can plan your schedule around the bus, but it's not an effective way to get around if you are shopping or going out etc. (And they don't run very late either!). If that budget is for a car, then I think it's a bit low -- my 2002 vehicle costs me and my wife about $2500/year in gas and insurance and upkeep.

Finally, you should also think about costs of going back home to visit friends/family if you want to do that. Not sure where you live so this could be relatively cheap or considerably expensive!

In total, the expenses for both my wife and I is about 36,000 per year, including my tuition and school supplies cost (it was that much last year and it's on track to be the same this year). I think the cost for one person would be around 2/3 to 3/4 of two people, which is about 24000-27000, so your estimate is probably ballpark in the right range. My wife isn't a student, and she works full time, so we probably indulge ourselves a bit more than a typical student budget though.

Also, is your scholarship the only source of income? Will you make money from TA work as well? For first year grad students, you may qualify for the Graduate Entrance Tuition Award, worth about $6200 (unless this was already a part of your quoted 22,000 stipend).

If your overall question is whether 22,000/year is enough to live on in Kingston, then I think the answer is yes, you can make it work if you budget accordingly. Maybe you will have to give up a few luxuries, but you can definitely afford to live in Kingston due to the relatively low cost of living here, despite the fact that Queen's has one of the highest graduate tuition in Canada!

Edited by TakeruK

@TakeruK,

Thank you that was so helpful, i got these from Queens website, so i have no idea how they calculated that

http://www.queensu.c...nalbudgets.html

indeed i will not spend 2000 for books and im planning to apply for university residences (so i can opt out most of the transportation cost - depends on how close they are to the univ.) . yes the scholarship will be the only source of income, i was able to manage it like that here @ saskatchewan , (with low tution rates). i think i have to work (mandatory) 10 hrs/wk as a TA that is included with my salary. i have to look for this Graduate Entrance Tuition Award, thanks for the info.

Edited by sana123

You're welcome! :)

I've heard many great things about people who live in the two apartment complexes owned by Queen's (John Orr tower on west campus, it's a 5 minute bus ride to main campus; or An Clachan which is closer to grocery stores but a 20 minute bus ride). They are generally cheaper than equivalent level of housing in their areas, so it's a good deal, I've heard.

The August housing market is a bit cut-throat in Kingston. I'd suggest coming up in early July to do a few viewings and secure your living situation, rather than risk being stuck with a bottom-of-the-barrel apartment.

A really great FAQ has been created by the Graduate English Society here. It may answer a few questions!

The August housing market is a bit cut-throat in Kingston. I'd suggest coming up in early July to do a few viewings and secure your living situation, rather than risk being stuck with a bottom-of-the-barrel apartment.

A really great FAQ has been created by the Graduate English Society here. It may answer a few questions!

The GES FAQ is awesome! I read that when I applied. Delarosa, are you going to be at Queen's in English next year? If so, I am sure we will meet.

Thanx for the link......

BTW... any biology grad student here? i would like to discuss littlebit more about the coure.

Obrera, I am! Did you come to the Open House in March?

No, I couldn't afford the trip, since I live out West. I visited the campus last summer, though. I'm moving down there in June.

For those who are considering the John Orr Tower: It's old (1970's concrete highrise). It's either too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. It's super drafty (the higher up the building you go, the crazier the "windstorm effect" is). The carpet in the majority of the units is absolutely disgusting (unless you're lucky enough to move into a unit where it was replaced). If you own a car, be prepared to pay an extra $50/month for a parking pass that can only be used at your building (not valid for the main Q's campus). You have to sign a 12-month lease (no options for 4 or 8 months - if you want to move out early, be prepared to find someone to sublet). HOWEVER. It's right next door to west campus and a major bus route (5 mins to main campus, 10 mins to downtown). It's a very quiet building (full of grad students, mature students, international students, married couples). Hardly any undergrads in sight. The rent is significantly cheaper than comparable apartments elsewhere in Kingston (includes heat, electricity, and hot water, but not cable/phone/internet), and overall, the landlord (Queen's Community Housing) is fairly decent and will respond quickly to maintenance requests. Every unit in the building is an identical, full-sized, one-bedroom apartment with a balcony (not dorm-style at all). Lots of space (including a basement storage unit). So, as you can tell, most tenants have a love-hate relationship with the Tower. But overall, it's a decent place to live and the benefits outweigh the annoyances. It's a good option if you're relocating across the country and cannot visit Kingston ahead of time to apartment-hunt.

Queen's Community Housing website: http://community.housing.queensu.ca/

Edited by Andsowego