Waiting Makes Me Down on Myself!

was1984

My professors and friends assumed I would have a decent shot. Although now I realize I was a medium size fish in a really minuscule pond. I listened to my professors

With me it was my professors and family. Everyone else in my family has gone to a decent grad school, so they told me I could get in anywhere. And my PI kept telling me: "You're smart! You belong at Stanford or Caltech or MIT!" Honestly, I wouldn't have applied to UW, UIUC, or UM without their pushiness. People in my field have already heard from those schools...whereas it seems like all I got was flushing all that extra $ (not to mention time for doing the extra applications) down the drain!

I'm just glad I had the sense to keep the safety schools on my list!

HAHA!!!

Me too, sort of. It is almost every day I come home so stressed and anxious and say "oh god, I need a drink!" So, I open a bottle of wine, make a few cocktails or crack a beer at 5:30pm, and slowly drink so that I'm nearly asleep my 9pm.

Let's all hope this stress drinking is temporary :)

I... yeah. I should so not drink right now. It's a bad emotional roller coaster and crying at the bar is so cliche. But I've been refraining since Valentine's day went to the dogs when my ex showed up the day after. Why? Well, to claim the anonymous flowers that were sent to me with a creepy and cryptic message: "I hope you find Mr. Wright. Love, Mr. Wrong". He sent them because he felt bad we broke up like 8 months ago... and wanted to ask me to get back together with him.

I went off the deep end. I think I even said dating him he was like "the worst yeast infection I could ever have - CONTROLLING and IRRITATING - and even after it's gone the experience still terrorizes me." All while I was sitting at breakfast, which he paid for, at a really nice resturant. Sigh.

Add alcohol that and the words, "I'll accept you!" ... I'd probably have done do something regretable

I was feeling down today from worrying because no schools had contacted me yet while other people have heard from schools since early Feb. So I checked my email praying for an answer, and sure enough, something happened: I got my first rejection. And it actually felt good :D I want my degree very much and I am so ready to do a great job to get it, but I am starting to feel I will get rejected everywhere. I'd rather get all my rejection letters at once and cry a good cry with a bowl (or gallon) of Edy's cookies and cream ice cream (oh, emotional eating--terrible!) than impatiently wait with anxiety burning a hole in my chest...

I'm so emo... :?

To worked so hard to just be played with... that's the story of all of our lives, I guess.

This is so true on so many levels. To think they could drop me out of the pile for such an arbitrary reason as "she's an American with a foreign name; if we're going to choose a person with a foreign name, it's going to be an international student"!

I've been torturing myself by looking over the grad student profiles of my top school, and deciding I can't even sit at the same table with them. My high GPA, awards, and fieldwork are nothing compared to their 2 MAs each, in related fields, from Yale, Cambridge, or Harvard, their 500 published books, and their 10 years of experience as a human rights advocate in Burma or volunteering to hug lepers in Uganda. 11 admits last year, 8 the previous year- There's no way I'm getting in. I have never even hugged a single leper!

I've also become convinced none of my other schools will give me the time of day. I'm making plans to apply for MA programs and funding in one of the countries I want to study for next year, because I'm certain I won't be in a PhD program here. Which is an eensy bit insane, since only one of my schools has contacted anyone (3 admits, according to this site), and none have contacted me. My schools all seem like such a reach now. I can't believe I didn't just apply for DeVry's dental assisting program. They probably wouldn't have taken me, either.

p.s. can someone shoot me up with horse tranquilizer or something until the results are all in? I'm allergic to alcohol, and starting an opiate habit seems like a bad call in the long-term, but it just seems more humane to put me in a medically-induced coma for now.

LMGDAO This was plain and simply hilarious. I definitely agree with the medically-induced coma. I think it's totally fair and necessary. I too should have applied to devry. Woe is me.

for five days i have done nothing but side on thegradcafe.com. it's been driving me crazy.

seeing the crazy credentials of some people... and there are fewer spots than ever right now.

i don't want to be ungrateful. i'm glad i got accepted to the schools i did, so i should just be happy and accept already.

i was happy because today was the first day since i found this site that i was able to do some schoolwork and get my focus back on.

schools really should inform people uniformly about acceptance or rejection -in fact, i think it's more merciful to tell students we are on the waitlist than give us no word. just my two cents.