Help me stay sane!

CountZero

I'm supposed to know of my admit by 4pm and I haven't heard a thing today from my school. This wait is just killing me. How do you folks get any work done while expecting a decision. I've been hitting the refresh button every minute even though I know that gmail automatically updates itself. I'm going to go into a horrible depression if this doesn't work out :(

hang in there, dude or dudette!

it's brutal i know, but the fact that you have a couple admits already ought to take the edge off. go to a matinee, take a bath, find your favorite person and do shots of tequila out of each other's belly buttons -- anything to keep your mind off that e-mail. it will get here. good luck :P

Maybe just take a break and a nap. When I get to the bad place, sometimes a nap is all that can help me. I'll fall asleep out of sheer exhaustion/anxiety and when I wake up, even if I've only slept for a little while, I feel like a new woman. :)

Lost is a great idea. I'm half hoping that we'll have our lab meeting soon so I can just talk to people and focus on conversations. I tried watching a movie but seems like my mind has decided it won't accept any inputs apart from new mail indications.

I don't understand why you are freaking out. A lot of people (me included) would love to be in your position of having 2 acceptances (to pretty decent programs no less) already in the bag. At least you have "something" to sate your grad ed appetite, a lot of us are still starving and salivating at the mere though of getting accepted "anywhere". Count your blessings!

Aeternalis: You're right. I'm thrilled with the two admits, but I'm already at that school working with a fantastic advisor and not getting in here for my PhD, will feel like a sick joke after all the positive indications I got from folks in the department. It won't be the end of the world, but it's just something that'd be fantastic if it worked out. Sometimes moving on is a good thing but it's the wait that's horrid.

Less than two hours to go.. thanks to all who replied. I'm feeling slightly better as opposed to dwelling on crazy thoughts alone in the lab.

Edited: Stupid typo that made me seem like I couldn't write reasonable English :)

Aeternalis: You're right. I'm thrilled with the two admits, but I'm already at that school working with a fantastic advisor and not getting in here for my PhD, will feels like a sick joke after all the positive indications I got from folks in the department. It won't be the end of the world, but it's just something that'd be fantastic if it worked out.

Wow, we are REALLY in the same situation. Could have written the above!

Good luck...hope you have heard already!

I'm supposed to know of my admit by 4pm and I haven't heard a thing today from my school. This wait is just killing me. How do you folks get any work done while expecting a decision. I've been hitting the refresh button every minute even though I know that gmail automatically updates itself. I'm going to go into a horrible depression if this doesn't work out :(

Wow...they gave you a TIME FRAME? sigh...were that I'd been so lucky! :D

I'm accepted to one of my two emergency MA programs! I don't really have a burning desire to go to this one, but how nice to have something good in the mailbox when I got home from work. This is my first communication from any school.

*whew*

Congrats! You are definitely going to grad school!

It was a thin envelope too, so I was a bit nervous! :D The good thing about this program is it's in my city, so I might be able to keep my job part-time if I go there. So this was definitely a little piece of sanity.