Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
erinkat

Advice about funding?

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, so I seem to be in a situation that isn't going to end well for attending this year...I've been accepted at an amazing program that does exactly what I want to do and is also in a really exciting location, and they also offered me a yearly scholarship....which is really quite small and would still leave a cost of at least 50k for the program, which I see as a hugely irresponsible amount to cover with loans on top of my undergrad loans. In addition, its location is a city with a high cost of living. I am still in contact with the program director and hope to hear more about further funding opportunities...but based on past conversations I am not optimistic that this program even has funds beyond this scholarship that seems to be the standard. I suppose another option would be to ask to defer to save more money while working for another year....does anyone have experience doing this?

I also have acceptance at another program that would certainly get me into the career field I'm headed for, but is in an academic area different from others I applied to and just isn't as interesting to me. It's an Anthropology program while all others I applied to were American Studies or Decorative Arts. They may well offer me a decent funding package (no detail yet, and this rides on someone else turning down their spot), and this program is in the city where I currently live.

My problem is that I am unsure if I should really consider the program where I live now if they give me a good offer since it just isn't really what I want to be doing. I mostly just applied because it's relevant to my career goals and would not require relocation. I want to study Colonial American Material Culture but this program is on the west coast...any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I am reading, it seems like you are going into a MA program, which for many universities, do not have a lot of funding options because of the nature of a MA. If I am wrong here and you are going for a PhD, then this changes things.

You can try to defer and go again. Again, for an MA, it is different. A lot of times, research is not as heavily pushed in a MA degree and therefore you are more likely to be accepted for a deferral. But for a PhD, it is a delicate state because professors choose you because they are ready to work with you (maybe not the first year but certainly in the 2nd). And so if this is for a MA degree, deferral and reapplying is okay as long as you tell the program that is what you are doing - saving money so that you can afford the program. I don't recommend getting more loans since you already have loans. I actually did get loans for my MA and BA but I kind of regret it...I mean I dont regret getting my degrees because I had such a great experience. But I do regret not taking a step back and realizing the debt I was walking into. Because I also want to get a PhD and so now money is a big factor in my deciding process.

Sooo is this for a MA because my info will change if for a PhD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for your thoughts. Yes, it is an MA program. Sorry I left that out :wacko: I'm starting to think deferral might be my best bet, along with hoping they still give me the scholarship they offered me this year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.