MFA programs in the USA with Excellent Funding (as of 2012)

OutWest

Thanks so much for posting! This is a really great resource. I'm already considering several of the schools on the list and will definitely be looking into a few others now that I have this info. Good luck to everyone!

• 5 months later...

Can anyone make a post for MFA programs in Europe and UK etc. with excellant funding and scholarship?

(others with non prerequisite Fullbright, DAAD, Erasmus, and not for NFP countries)

Edited by Jun182

Can anyone make a post for MFA programs in Europe and UK etc. with excellant funding and scholarship?

(others with non prerequisite Fullbright, DAAD, Erasmus, and not for NFP countries)

@Jun12 some schools in Scandinavia are free of tuition — Bergen Academy of Art and Design in Norway and Aalto University in Finland to name a few. 

My status for VCU reads as "complete ready for review". Check the box at the bottom, it should say what they have from you. My UConn status reads as Incomplete though :( will probably have to call them tomorrow.

Damn you edited out your question. I'll still keep my answer here for you :)

Edited by ArsenicYellow

• 4 weeks later...

@Jun12 some schools in Scandinavia are free of tuition — Bergen Academy of Art and Design in Norway and Aalto University in Finland to name a few. 

I was in Germany a few times.  Most school are also free of tuition, or have very low tuition.  I know some students also got financial help, meal tickets, etc.  Keep in mind that not all German schools work with the BFA/MFA model.  The support and art scene is very dynamic. 

This has been asked already, but no response; does anyone know anything about how the funding works for international students? Do these schools give funding mostly/only/priority to USA residents? I don't want to get my hopes up too much...

This has been asked already, but no response; does anyone know anything about how the funding works for international students? Do these schools give funding mostly/only/priority to USA residents? I don't want to get my hopes up too much...

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/the-scholarship-coach/2011/03/24/scholarship-sources-for-international-students

is a good site, it also has links to other info.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello friends,

I'm a self learned Artist. I would like to pursue a degree in Art and Design. I have some doubts regarding choosing the course. I know a friend, who did his Bachelors in Engineering and did his masters in Fine arts - Art and Design. I'm also looking for the same study since I'm an Engineering Graduate. Can you ppl help me finding the universities?

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Thank you OutWest, this is so helpful.

I am going to apply for Fall 2014 for interaction design or service design programs. What are my options/chances for getting a fully funded admission?

1. International applicant

2. BA Industrial Design -- GPA : 3.5

3. TOEFL: 112/120

4. Some programming experience 

Thanks in advance

• 5 months later...

I was remembering where I was a year ago and then I remembered- I was glued to this forum! (when I wasn't busy working on my applications!)

I am currently in the MFA program at UCSB.  UCSB was last on my list last year but I ended up choosing this program over Ohio State where I got a full ride offer (big ann hamilton fan here too) and am really happy with my decision.   The program is small but everyone has TA ships and there are quite a few fellowships available.  Everyone is pretty much taken care of by the Art Dept.  The campus is beautiful, our studios are huge and proximity to LA is great (drove down the Lari Pittman lecture last night). 

The program is on the conceptual side and theory is a major component to the program.  I think this program is a little known gem that is out there so I thought I would include in this forum.

Enrique Martinez Celaya is probably my favorite alumni.

Here is my stuff:

jeffpagestudio.com

Edited by idioteck

• 1 month later...

I spent the last two winters GLUED to this forum, and ultimately ended up right where I wanted. I am currently an MFA student at Southern Illinois University - Carbondale. They give MFA students a full tuition waiver and stipend with all of their assistantships, (starting the very first semester). I currently teach two classes for my assistantship. The faculty are very helpful and approachable. The studios are massive, and the students form a very close creative community. The programs are separated into 2D (painting/drawing/printmaking), Blacksmithing, Sculpture, Glass, Ceramics...etc. but still allow for some level of interdisciplinary exploration for the particularly motivated and/or experienced. It's a 3 year program and the first year is all about creative conceptual and technical exploration without the pressure to make a cohesive body of presentation-ready work. This format has allowed my work to grow at a much faster pace.

It's only 2 hours away from St. Louis, 3.5 hours from Nashville, and 5.5 hours from Chicago. The cost of living is fantastic, my wife and daughter and I live in a 3 bedroom rental house for less than $800/mo.

Also, it sounds precisely like the type of program Jerry Saltz is recommending here...

http://www.vulture.com/m/2013/12/saltz-on-the-trouble-with-the-mfa.html

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, how to get these funding?
I am from architecture, i have a lot interest in digital media and animation. what courses i need to learn bere get admitted? will the accept student from architecture to masters in animation and digital media? what are the chances?

Is there any students like this?

will I get full fund? and how to get full fund?

how difficult and challenging will it be to me to study ms in this discipline?

what about the career opportunity?

will i get GTSship/GRSship ?

please please help !!!

thanks in advance.. and happy new year friends..

• 2 weeks later...