Work Paralysis

mgmuscari

I find work a good distraction...I don't work at a computer so that temptation isn't there, and work is usually very busy. However, it sometimes is tricky to put in my "all" knowing that I'm not going to stay out the year...I'm enough of an overachiever that I do try and do my best regardless, but when my boss wants me to put in crazy unpaid overtime in the name of saving time in the (distant) future, I find myself thinking "no thanks".

Ohh, man. I wish I could focus on my thesis. I am dragging my feet, owe my advisor an outline tomorrow, KNOW that the clock is ticking as I'm procrastinating, and that if I don't get going I'll spend a miserable summer in the library working up until the last minute, and yet I STILL can't focus at all.

I have a particularly intense workload this week, and it's definitely turning into a train wreck. Even when I'm not thinking about my apps, I seem to just be that much more of a basketcase right now. I have trouble focusing on my work, largely because I feel overwhelmed with anxiety about the future.

I hate that I'm done with classes April 9, with my Major Project due June 30... but I have no idea what I'm doing or even where I'll be living after this. Could be I'll be off to grad school in NYC or Boston. Could be I'll get a job or full time contract or paid internship somewhere (I'd guess DC, San Francisco, or the UK). Could be that I'll be stuck living with my parents, job searching while doing freelance work, trying to develop business concepts, and trying to beef up my applications for the next admissions cycle.

I hate the uncertainty. No idea where I'll be living, what I'll be doing, what my financial situation will be like, how secure I'll be... no idea.

I can't think about that, though. Have to work, and have to remember that I probably won't get into any of these programs anyway, which means it's really the job/internship apps I'm waiting on.

---

Waiting: 2

Accepted: 0

Waitlist: 0

Rejected: 1

You should request an office with a window. On occasion, my favorite squirrel climbs through mine and we browse the forum together while sharing a sandwich. It makes great company when I feel like complaining about the long wait for results.

You both just described my day at work, squirrel included.