University of Illinois Urbana - Champaign

delphin

I've emailed the Tenant Union and they've been really helpful. They provided me with a lot of information. The thing is that, being an international student, I won't arrive to Urbana-Champaign till the end of July - beginning of August so I won't be able to visit. In that situation, don't you think is a bit risky to rent a place without seeing it first?? Plus, I don't know if what they're offering is good, bad, average, pricey...

I'm thinking maybe I'll start looking for a room, although that could be risky too. What do you guys think? Is anyone looking for a grad roommate?

I am in the same situation albeit I am not an international student. I am traveling/working the entire summer and so do not have any time at all to visit. I am asking a friend to scope out the neighborhood for me and also getting some pictures from the staff at the places I am interested in. Nevertheless, it is still very risky to sign a lease without checking out the place yourself.

I am planning to live about 2-3 miles from campus which is about a 15min bike commute. Do you guys think this is feasible during the winter?

Edited by AwesomeAlgorithm

A 15 minute bike commute in winter is going to be brutal. We are often in single digits with howling winds. Not a lot of snow, but often have ice on the roads (that don't get cleared expediently). We had a very mild winter this past year, but four years ago we had 3 or 4 inches of standing ice on the roads (and on campus). That being said, the busses go all over, so check the MTD website to see if your potential place is on a bus route.

I am in the same situation albeit I am not an international student. I am traveling/working the entire summer and so do not have any time at all to visit. I am asking a friend to scope out the neighborhood for me and also getting some pictures from the staff at the places I am interested in. Nevertheless, it is still very risky to sign a lease without checking out the place yourself.

I am planning to live about 2-3 miles from campus which is about a 15min bike commute. Do you guys think this is feasible during the winter?

Thanks.

I'm an Illinois alumna, and I would definitely NOT sign a lease in Campustown without seeing it first. The good news is that if you are willing to live a mile or more away from campus, there is plenty of housing (even in Urbana), and you should not be homeless for long. I knew people who still found cheap apartments after the school year had started that were not total dumps... but I also knew people who on move-in day were able to have the apartments for which they had signed leases declared uninhabitable by the City of Champaign.

Thanks a lot.

For those of you moving long distance, are you hiring movers or trying to do the move yourselves? I'm still trying to figure it out. I found movingscam.com helpful for looking for movers, although some of the info is a little outdated.

For those of you moving long distance, are you hiring movers or trying to do the move yourselves? I'm still trying to figure it out. I found movingscam.com helpful for looking for movers, although some of the info is a little outdated.

I am moving everything myself from Arizona although I do not have much stuff to move. I am planning to pay a few extra bucks to carry an extra luggage of clothing with me and shipping my computer (large gaming computer) and small appliances via UPS. I found it was actually much cheaper to repurchase my furniture than to use a moving or shipping service.

Sorry to harp on this, but can anybody shed light on why exactly on-campus housing is so bad? All the listings I've seen so far for 1 bedroom appartments are priced between 5-600 with no utilities included, which amounts to something well above 700 with all utilities. On campus comes to 600 with everything included, so I keep coming back to that option but the sentiment here is overwhelming, so just looking for some additional color.

Thanks everybody.

Well, I can't help a lot 'cause I've never lived there, but I've been told you can find better places for the same price (a grad student told me so). However, the Tenant Union recommended me to rent an apartment from University Housing. It was probably because I'm an international student and they know I can't visit to get one before August. But I guess they can't be that bad 'cause I don't think they would suggest me to get a total dump.

Now, I have a question about the stipends. Are they tax-free? I'm sorry if it's a silly question. As an international student I have no idea about it.

Thanks!

Interesting, good to know.

Sadly I don't believe they are tax-free. You should plan on the FICA tax rates, which I think are near 15% combined (check wikipedia, I'm too lazy) plus federal and state income taxes. Federal will be pretty low because there ain't much stipend, but the state is probably a flat rate (again, wikipedia, sorry). I'm counting on actually receiving roughly 75% of the stated amount, though could be more like 70.

Interesting, good to know.

Sadly I don't believe they are tax-free. You should plan on the FICA tax rates, which I think are near 15% combined (check wikipedia, I'm too lazy) plus federal and state income taxes. Federal will be pretty low because there ain't much stipend, but the state is probably a flat rate (again, wikipedia, sorry). I'm counting on actually receiving roughly 75% of the stated amount, though could be more like 70.

I just finished my taxes for my first year. For the first 4 months of pay (I got my first paycheck in September), I paid about 15% in federal taxes and 5% in state taxes straight from my paycheck. After finishing my taxes in April, I got a check back from the federal for about half of the amount I had paid, so I only paid ~7-8% to federal. I owed Illinois a check for $9. So, taxes weren't actually too bad. I liked having the taxes withheld from my paychecks. Some of my classmates who had to pay all of their taxes, it was seemingly a big chunk of money.

On a few other notes on this thread. Those who I know who live on campus don't have a terrible problem with it. They're planning on moving off campus for their second year, but they seemed to enjoy living on campus, being close to the buildings, etc. I personally wouldn't have wanted to do it (I like living a bit farther from campus, it helps to actually leave campus when I go home).

And as far as moving, if you have a lot of stuff, I think Penske/Uhaul/Budget renting one way is a good way to go. I rented a Penske truck in my hometown, loaded it at home, drove it here, and dropped it off in Urbana. It was pretty easy (though kinda expensive, I managed to spend about $600 to rent and for gas, though, if I had flown and shipped stuff, the plane ticket alone would have been $350 or so). Penske was very organized and clean. I will note, I had all of my furniture for a 2 bedroom apt, all the kitchen stuff I'd every need, all my relevant college textbooks, etc. It was too much to just ship, since I got all the furniture and kitchen stuff free, it did make sense to move it here.

I just finished my taxes for my first year. For the first 4 months of pay (I got my first paycheck in September), I paid about 15% in federal taxes and 5% in state taxes straight from my paycheck. After finishing my taxes in April, I got a check back from the federal for about half of the amount I had paid, so I only paid ~7-8% to federal. I owed Illinois a check for $9. So, taxes weren't actually too bad. I liked having the taxes withheld from my paychecks. Some of my classmates who had to pay all of their taxes, it was seemingly a big chunk of money. On a few other notes on this thread. Those who I know who live on campus don't have a terrible problem with it. They're planning on moving off campus for their second year, but they seemed to enjoy living on campus, being close to the buildings, etc. I personally wouldn't have wanted to do it (I like living a bit farther from campus, it helps to actually leave campus when I go home). And as far as moving, if you have a lot of stuff, I think Penske/Uhaul/Budget renting one way is a good way to go. I rented a Penske truck in my hometown, loaded it at home, drove it here, and dropped it off in Urbana. It was pretty easy (though kinda expensive, I managed to spend about $600 to rent and for gas, though, if I had flown and shipped stuff, the plane ticket alone would have been $350 or so). Penske was very organized and clean. I will note, I had all of my furniture for a 2 bedroom apt, all the kitchen stuff I'd every need, all my relevant college textbooks, etc. It was too much to just ship, since I got all the furniture and kitchen stuff free, it did make sense to move it here.

Interesting, good to know. Sadly I don't believe they are tax-free. You should plan on the FICA tax rates, which I think are near 15% combined (check wikipedia, I'm too lazy) plus federal and state income taxes. Federal will be pretty low because there ain't much stipend, but the state is probably a flat rate (again, wikipedia, sorry). I'm counting on actually receiving roughly 75% of the stated amount, though could be more like 70.

Thanks to you both.

Edited by Bikina

I just got my acceptance letter posted to the online site last week. My department had sent my admission notification via snail mail previously. I was able to log in with the info provided in the electronic letter. Perhaps, give it another week or contact admissions.

Have you guys received the information required to create a NetID/EnterpriseID yet?

​I am actually still waiting for the official email acceptance from the Graduate College which my department tells me should be coming some time soon.

I'm also waiting for mine. I called the office a couple weeks ago to ask about it and they said they were a few weeks behind, by now should be coming soon. Apparently there's a big snail mail package that they send with a lot of info that needs to be filled out?

When is everyone planning to move up there? I had been thinking the weekend before the 20th, but possibly earlier to do some traveling before school starts.

Sorry to harp on this, but can anybody shed light on why exactly on-campus housing is so bad? All the listings I've seen so far for 1 bedroom appartments are priced between 5-600 with no utilities included, which amounts to something well above 700 with all utilities. On campus comes to 600 with everything included, so I keep coming back to that option but the sentiment here is overwhelming, so just looking for some additional color.

There is a distinction to be made between "on campus" housing and University housing itself (I think Campus Property Management and the University Group are the ones giving the bad reputation) that might not be evident. There are plenty of good places to live that are essentially "on campus" (or a 15 minute walk to campus - IMO, from a big city, this means you are on campus...) but are privately managed.

It really has to do with management company, and not necessarily the location (although there is little a company can do to prevent huge amounts of noise from parties- a situation you would definitely encounter closer to central campus). The two that I trust the most are Roland Realty (I got my entire security deposit back on move-out, and got to move into an upgraded unit mid-lease with no rent change, but others don't like them) and Bankier Apartments (the snootiest/highest quality large-scale agency in my opinion--central air/heat, laundry in-unit, lots of nice models if you stalk their site), but a lot rent from Royse & Brinkmeyer, which are cheaper and in quieter locations. I think the highest density grad school pop (other than the Urbana sprawl) lives around/west of West Side park in Champaign, which is itself west of Neil St (a defining barrier between the madness of 'campus life' and sane, private living accommodations). There are also a lot of R&B apartments in that area.

The units you're looking at on campus are likely miniscule in size, also. I mean, coming here as an outsider I assumed there were standards about what could and could not be counted as a sane living arrangement...and then I learned. Undergrads, who want to live on campus like you do, have 0 standards on average. Things that you would normally expect an apartment to have will just be entirely absent. One place I went to had a wall caving in and the doorknob came off in my hand (listed as a "charming" place in Urbana with nice pics).

I've had my netid and enterprise for about two weeks now. It was pretty painless, but you need the official acceptance first.

I'm also trying to decide between on and off campus housing, and leaning toward the former. I'm coming from abroad so I can't visit ahead of time, and I am leery of signing a lease without seeing a place. From what I've seen, Goodwin-Green apartments look much nicer--and more expensive by ~$200/mo--than the others. Location for me is important since I will be carless. It looks much easier to get around campus from Goodwin-Green, and a relatively short walk to downtown Urbana. By contrast it looks like a 15 minute walk to get my department from Orchard Downs, and longer to get groceries. Judging by the schedules, bus service from there doesn't seem very convenient, either. Any insights from from the forum would be appreciated!

I've had my netid and enterprise for about two weeks now. It was pretty painless, but you need the official acceptance first.

I'm also trying to decide between on and off campus housing, and leaning toward the former. I'm coming from abroad so I can't visit ahead of time, and I am leery of signing a lease without seeing a place. From what I've seen, Goodwin-Green apartments look much nicer--and more expensive by ~$200/mo--than the others. Location for me is important since I will be carless. It looks much easier to get around campus from Goodwin-Green, and a relatively short walk to downtown Urbana. By contrast it looks like a 15 minute walk to get my department from Orchard Downs, and longer to get groceries. Judging by the schedules, bus service from there doesn't seem very convenient, either. Any insights from from the forum would be appreciated!

Orchard Downs is much more of a journey; more like 45 minutes' walk than 15 minutes. Goodwin-Green is undergrad territory still; you'd be right next to "ISR", which is where tons of them live. This is a serious party school...I don't think living near all that is desirable. You seem kind of determined...maybe it's not that bad? Is this because you're trying to go with official housing? Very few people I know of do that because they find cheaper, better accommodation through the private agencies. It sounds like you want to live in Urbana near downtown. If that's the case, you're much better off looking at apartments between Washington St (to the south) and Main St (to the north), critically east of Lincoln and probably west of Vine St. It's very quiet and safe there, although a lot of the apartments are older units and would require some investigation (ie, ask for pics and specifics).

Also, the bus system is free and convenient in that area: the Green and Silver lines are extremely reliable in bringing people to campus from Urbana. I lived one street east of Vine last year (on Urbana Ave., amusingly enough for writing my address...) and it was very easy to get to campus. Carless people living near West Side Park in Champaign also have a lot of success in getting to campus; apartments are not too expensive there and it's a pretty cute neighborhood, near nightlife and cafes in downtown Champaign. Grad students frequently go to Royse & Brinkmeyer for renting units in that area...signing with them site-unseen would be a fairly safe bet.

A word of warning to anyone who comes by this: Do not trust Green Street Realty. They are NUTS. They promised that my unit would be ready when I arrived, and it was not in livable condition. The wall was crumbling in the bedroom, the ceiling was bulging because of water damage, there was no separation between my unit and my neighbor (!?), the doorknob fell off in my hand, and the toilet leaked mysteriously if you sat on it. AND they took all my security deposit even though they had given it to be in a crazy state to begin with. Just saying: there is a reason they have a lot of listings on craigslist, and that reason is that they are unreliable thieves. I walked to Roland Realty and got a unit from them the same day I arrived to campus, about a week before classes started, and they were very good to me.

Edited by lucere

I went with Orchard Downs because I knew some people who lived there and I had to accept something sight unseen. I also heard horror stories about renting from local landlords, so I decided it would be easier to deal with the university.

Pros:

- Extremely responsive to maintenance issues

- Removed from the crazy campus environment

- Very family friendly

- Easy access to campus by bus; also easy access to grocery stores (50 Green runs to the nearby Meijer in the evenings and weekends, every half hour)

- Flexible lease - this is why I kept coming back. Totally worth it since my life was in motion.

- Meadowbrook Park is a 10 minute walk

Cons:

- Older buildings - when I first watched the video online I thought I could never live here (white brick interior walls, etc.). But I have adjusted.

- Nothing within quick walking distance. Downtown Urbana is around a 25 minute walk; Meijer also; I can also get to central campus in half an hour at a quick pace.

If my life had been more stable and I was going to stay in the same place for my whole PhD, I might have moved out. But since I kept coming and going OD has been perfect. You could always come here for the first 9 months (they let you terminate your lease early for the summer) and then look for a place for the following year.

lucere and AB, thanks for the very helpful replies!

Where I'm coming from is definitely not a party school, but it is in a big city and I'm used to a fair amount of noise. Like AB, I'm looking for something flexible and will probably not keep the place past the first 9 months.

Hi,

This information is incredibly useful. I will be heading here this fall for the communications and media program. I'm getting a little concerned as I haven't received anything since accepting but it looks like I'm not the only one. Hope to meet you all in the fall.

• 1 month later...

‘ello,

I’ll be attending UIUC this fall for Theatre. I’ve got housing, financial aid, and all the IDs setup, but I haven’t talked to an advisor or registered for classes and it’s freaking me out a bit.

It’s been a bit since the last comment, and I was wondering if anyone has any updates? Any other theatre people out there?

• 8 months later...

Hi,

This is a really helpful forum.I am an international grad student, and will be attending UIUC this summer through to spring. I am looking for accommodation at the moment. Browsing through the ads and another forum, it looks like the period between June and July is still good to be looking for a place. Thus, I thought I could sub-let something for this summer and then look once I arrive in Urbana in June. One of the places I found and would be interested in, would tie me over until the beginning of August. However, many of the lease periods begin in mid August. Thus, I thought I would ask on the forum whether starting a lease a bit earlier is common or rather difficult, and how flexible lease terms tend to be. Since, I will not be coming for the full year and cannot commit to a 12 months lease, I am wondering whether University accommodation would be my only option?

Any advice would be much appreciated:)

Many thanks!

Hi,

This is a really helpful forum.I am an international grad student, and will be attending UIUC this summer through to spring. I am looking for accommodation at the moment. Browsing through the ads and another forum, it looks like the period between June and July is still good to be looking for a place. Thus, I thought I could sub-let something for this summer and then look once I arrive in Urbana in June. One of the places I found and would be interested in, would tie me over until the beginning of August. However, many of the lease periods begin in mid August. Thus, I thought I would ask on the forum whether starting a lease a bit earlier is common or rather difficult, and how flexible lease terms tend to be. Since, I will not be coming for the full year and cannot commit to a 12 months lease, I am wondering whether University accommodation would be my only option?

Any advice would be much appreciated:)

Many thanks!

If you're willing to sublet your apartment during the summer, you could sign a 12 month lease.  I think there are some landlords in town who will give you a 9 month lease, but most are 12.

Similarly, if you need to start a least earlier than about August 15, it really depends on the landlord and the particular location.  I'm way off campus, with Regency (highly recommend them, btw), and our lease was very flexible on start and end dates.  It can't hurt to just contact the companies and ask them.

Orchard Downs is much more of a journey; more like 45 minutes' walk than 15 minutes. Goodwin-Green is undergrad territory still; you'd be right next to "ISR", which is where tons of them live. This is a serious party school...I don't think living near all that is desirable. You seem kind of determined...maybe it's not that bad? Is this because you're trying to go with official housing? Very few people I know of do that because they find cheaper, better accommodation through the private agencies. It sounds like you want to live in Urbana near downtown. If that's the case, you're much better off looking at apartments between Washington St (to the south) and Main St (to the north), critically east of Lincoln and probably west of Vine St. It's very quiet and safe there, although a lot of the apartments are older units and would require some investigation (ie, ask for pics and specifics).

One other note -- for estimating walk times, it really does matter where your program is on campus.  Orchard Downs is south and slightly east of campus, so if you're in Engineering (north end of campus), it will be a much longer walk to school than if you're in Art (SW), Music (SE/E), or Law (SW).  Most other fields are somewhere in between.  It would be a longer walk from Orchard Downs to groceries, but it would be a fast bike ride to the Co-op, and there are a lot of good buses.