I'm supposed to be celebrating, right?

I'm signing in for the first time in years and reviving this thread to say I had the exact same experience yesterday.  I can't believe I passed my QE and have been in shock.  I was so anxious and flailed throughout my entire exam, and now I can't seem to stop focusing on all the ways I got questions wrong.  My committee was kind and fair, but I just couldn't handle a thing they were throwing at me, even the easy stuff.  I've been considering asking my chair to rescind the pass because I don't think I deserved it.  I thought passing would be a much different experience than this.  I'm not glad that other people also have this experience but it has helped me to read that it happens.

• 8 months later...

Did no one feel this way past december 2015? I think a lot of people are reading but perhaps not tempted enough to share their experience. One might think: "yes i relate, it has just happened to me."

so i am glad i am not the only one who feels this way. I felt defeated after my oral examination. The topic I thought I did the best in, turned out i had to be re-examined on: i was especially frustrated with this fact. I did pass my proposal, however some topics require re-examination. I believe that everything happens for the right reason. Perhaps the change that has occured in my research topic about 8 months ago influenced my lack of knowledge. The fact that I haven't slept the night before (at all): it is very funny because i always stress to my students the importance of resting before an exam. 

All in all, i am not very happy and definitely not in a celebration mode but i think our strength derives from picking ourselves up after what we believe was a defeat and that is why I posted my experience: to say that your strength is to pick yourself up and move on and life itself is a test which you seldom ace. 

17 hours ago, Epievo said:

Did no one feel this way past december 2015? I think a lot of people are reading but perhaps not tempted enough to share their experience. One might think: "yes i relate, it has just happened to me."

so i am glad i am not the only one who feels this way. I felt defeated after my oral examination. The topic I thought I did the best in, turned out i had to be re-examined on: i was especially frustrated with this fact. I did pass my proposal, however some topics require re-examination. I believe that everything happens for the right reason. Perhaps the change that has occured in my research topic about 8 months ago influenced my lack of knowledge. The fact that I haven't slept the night before (at all): it is very funny because i always stress to my students the importance of resting before an exam. 

All in all, i am not very happy and definitely not in a celebration mode but i think our strength derives from picking ourselves up after what we believe was a defeat and that is why I posted my experience: to say that your strength is to pick yourself up and move on and life itself is a test which you seldom ace. 

I would think it would be more likely that instead of revising a thread from 2012/2013, people that have felt this way recently have started a new thread. There have been lots of threads in the last few years on this topic!

I would suggest that you'd probably get more support and feedback for your particular topic if you started a new thread on it. Many of the posters from this one are no longer around or active.