Worst stipend ever?

morfinx

Britt, it ends up at like $16,600, though that is for an entire year (you get paid during the summer in between your first and second years). Still, it comes out to (before taxes) just under $1390/month. I knew it was a really nice award, but the more I've been able to hear what other schools offer, the more I realize how amazing it is. i.e., I know here in Phoenix that the typical TAship for PhDs at Arizona State is like 12 or 13K. To know I'm getting quite a bit more than that as a masters student makes me feel like I'm a thief :)

Guest a guest

also locura, you will live like royalty. athens is a very cheap place to live, so even if you're living by yourself and footing those gas bills in the winter, you will be able to get by quite comfortably.

I just accepted an offer for math Ph.D program U Wisconsin Madison. Right now 50% TA pays between $11,262 and $14,100 a year, although a new contract which would pay between $12,611 and $15,137 is being negotiated. I'll be starting on the $11,262 end of that range, and be paying about $666/year fees and $10-$20/month health insurance.

Ohio State offered me two years of fellowship support at $21,000 and $18,00 respectively, followd by a few years of 50% TA at $1600/month. I think the cost of living is about the same in Columbus as it is in Madison, and I've convinced myself I can survive on the Wisconsin Stipend without going into debt. I feel kind of weird turning down the extra ~ $16,500 over the first two years, but I guess I am pretending that that isn't a lot of money, and I should go where I will be more happy living.

What's the point? Yeah, the stipend that the thread starter mentioned kind of sucks, and so does the one I accepted. However, I think most places will pay you enough to survive; you just might ``survive'' more comfortably in some places more than others.

Not to mention that I would have failed out of OSU after buying a fancy LCD projector with some of that extra money and then watching DVDs when I should have been studying :D

How much vodka (or alcoholic beverage of your choice) can you buy on that Wisconsin pay? I'm just thinking that you'll need something to keep you warm...

I don't think I'll have any money left for vodka. However, I think I heard that I will have keys to the building, so my plan is to come in after hours and huff cleaning supplies. Not exactly glamorous, but probably effective.