Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

• 2 weeks later...

I am applying for an ETA, but I do not knwo where to apply. I want to go somewhere to practice my Spanish. Spain is where I would like to go, but I here it is much more difficult to get so I think I should apply somewhere in South America such as Colombia. Does anyone have any ideas of what would give my the best opportunity to be selected?

Hi everyone!

I am applying to do creative writing (poetry) in Denmark. I'm done my essays and have been working on the essays, just wondering where everyone else is in the process. Have you guys started asking for letters of recommendation? I don't know when is too early!

I wanted to pop into this thread and say good luck to everyone applying for a Fulbright.

I am going to Austria on a English Teaching Assistantship this coming year. Anyone is welcome to come to me and ask for advice and questions. I've actually applied for a Germany ETA twice and the Austrian ETA three times and finally got it after the third time. I was rejected outright for a Germany Fulbright and the Austrian USTA when I applied a couple of years ago. I was an alternate last year for Austria, but was never offered a position. And I made it through the first round of the Germany Fulbright this past Spring, but was rejected after that. Luckily I got the Austria USTA the first time! I didn't know if I could handle being an alternate again.

My best advice is to not give up after getting rejected and to not just apply for one program. I know you can't apply for multiple countries in a Fulbright, but apply for other programs/grad school/jobs! I feel somewhat like a loser for applying so many times, but I really wanted to teach English in a German speaking country and I worked really hard for this!

I wanted to pop into this thread and say good luck to everyone applying for a Fulbright.

I am going to Austria on a English Teaching Assistantship this coming year. Anyone is welcome to come to me and ask for advice and questions. I've actually applied for a Germany ETA twice and the Austrian ETA three times and finally got it after the third time. I was rejected outright for a Germany Fulbright and the Austrian USTA when I applied a couple of years ago. I was an alternate last year for Austria, but was never offered a position. And I made it through the first round of the Germany Fulbright this past Spring, but was rejected after that. Luckily I got the Austria USTA the first time! I didn't know if I could handle being an alternate again.

My best advice is to not give up after getting rejected and to not just apply for one program. I know you can't apply for multiple countries in a Fulbright, but apply for other programs/grad school/jobs! I feel somewhat like a loser for applying so many times, but I really wanted to teach English in a German speaking country and I worked really hard for this!

Is there anything in particular you changed or did differently for the final successful application?

Additionally, I've found out that Brazil, Indonesia, Pakistan, China, Russia and India are prioritized.

I'm new and just stumbled upon this forum and specific thread. What do you mean by prioritized?

It seems like EVERYONE is doing an ETA. I wasn't expecting that.

I'm a Canadian student hoping to get a Fulbright Traditional Award to fund an English MA in California.

Is this... uncommon?

Also: I couldn't find anything explaining the legend in those spreadsheets. What's "recommended" and "promoted" etc. mean? I couldn't find anything about that on the Fulbright website either. I'm assuming alternate means you didn't get your first choice but got your second instead?

Edited by ponponpon

Hello ponponpon,

I imagine that the process is different for you than it is for US students applying for full grants to do research overseas...

However, to answer your questions:

1) "Recommended" means that the applicant made it through the first round of the application process.

This means that their application was sent to the national commitee and then recommended to be sent on to the next phase: approval by the host country.

2) "Alternate" means that the host country did not reject them or accept them. They are on a waiting list, essentially, and may receive an award if someone else turns their award down (or, as I understand it in the case of ETAs, more funding shows up).

3) "Promoted" means the applicant gets upgraded from alternate to accepted.

This all might not apply to your case?

You might start a thread for Canadians applying for Fulbright to study in the US and see if you can get more info that way?

Is there anything in particular you changed or did differently for the final successful application?

I applied as an at-large both times for the Fulbright ETA, but the second time, I actually wrote to my university and asked if I could apply through them. However, because I graduated a few years ago, they told me I couldn't, but they did have someone in the honors program read over my statements. This was super helpful, and I don't know what I didn't do it sooner! I recommend anyone applying as an at-large contact your university and see if they can provide any guidance. I know most, if not all universities love to brag on their former students, so I would be surprised if they couldn't help. I actually was invited to an awards ceremony and got a letter from the president, which surprised me, because I graduated a few years ago.

Some other good advice I got from the person that read my statements. She told me to try to write about things that no one else could write about, which sounds obvious, but hearing that advice really helped me. I think in my original applications, I went on too much about improving my German and as she told me, "everyone wants to improve their German!" so I cut most of that out of my essay and only mentioned it once or twice. Another thing my reviewer liked about my application was that I mentioned that I changed my major to German my senior year. Not many people can say that, so things like that can make you stand out. She also told me that the personal statement is more of an academic history, not really personal, so that statement ended up being heavily edited.

I also made my future plans really concrete, even though in reality, I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do. I know I was wishy washy on this in my past applications.

Hope that helps! I still think the best advice is not to give up if you really want a Fulbright. I know the director of the honors program told me that a lot of students ask her if they should apply again, and that I'm a good example of trying again and again isn't insanity, but actually can work. Good luck!

Hi everyone~

I'm gunning for ETA to Germany and currently in the middle of re-editing nightmares. Imagine the fun surprise on my face when I saw that the statement of purpose was only one page, not two...

but I'd be happy to help people with edits if you're willing to look over mine - it might be nice to read over essays that aren't my own for once!

I am applying for an ETA, but I do not knwo where to apply. I want to go somewhere to practice my Spanish. Spain is where I would like to go, but I here it is much more difficult to get so I think I should apply somewhere in South America such as Colombia. Does anyone have any ideas of what would give my the best opportunity to be selected?

Hey Trussel, you can gauge the difficulty of each country with this chart: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/uploads/files/eta/2013%20ETA%20Chart.pdf

Hi everyone!

I am applying to do creative writing (poetry) in Denmark. I'm done my essays and have been working on the essays, just wondering where everyone else is in the process. Have you guys started asking for letters of recommendation? I don't know when is too early!

I wish I was done with my essays it's like I can verbally say the entire statement but when I sit to type it up...NOTHING. Lol! I would recommend sending a request for a letter of recommendation to your top three referees now. If you are utilizing your ugrad over at-large that means you are going by your ugrad's deadline system which usually comes pretty fast. Requesting this letter from your professors now will alert them of the urgency and also give them ample time to write a great recommendation.

I applied for Malta ETA last year and applying for Canada (Comparative Public Policy) Full-Grant this year and that's why I'm having such difficulty writing my statement of purpose :(

can anyone provide me with any instruction about how to solicit an invitation (that sounds strange) from a foreign university? I have my eye on Germany, and I have an idea of which university I would like to affiliate with, but I don't know anyone there... Do I just send a cold email?

can anyone provide me with any instruction about how to solicit an invitation (that sounds strange) from a foreign university? I have my eye on Germany, and I have an idea of which university I would like to affiliate with, but I don't know anyone there... Do I just send a cold email?

A cold email could work - I have done this before with varying success - but I suggest trying to find someone to who can introduce you to a faculty member. Ask your university's German department or study abroad office if they have any contacts there.

If you are active on LinkedIn, another trick to finding contacts is through LinkedIn Advanced Search. Go to Advanced Search and put the name of the university into the "Keywords" field or the in the "Company" field. Then sort the results by "Relationship". You may find that you are connected to someone who is connected to a person working at that university, and voila - you have someone who you can ask for an introduction.

Hi everyone!

I'm coming back this year to apply for a Fulbright ETA to Thailand. Last year, I applied for the same scholarship to Vietnam. It went through the U.S. commission and I got recommended, but then in the end I wasn't accepted. I haven't lost hope, and I'm definitely learning from my mistakes last year to make this application a success!

I'm glad to be among all of you, and I know we'll do our best to help each other get this competitive scholarship.

-kbui

Hi everyone!

I'm coming back this year to apply for a Fulbright ETA to Thailand. Last year, I applied for the same scholarship to Vietnam. It went through the U.S. commission and I got recommended, but then in the end I wasn't accepted. I haven't lost hope, and I'm definitely learning from my mistakes last year to make this application a success!

I'm glad to be among all of you, and I know we'll do our best to help each other get this competitive scholarship.

-kbui

Hey kbui,

I'm applying for an Fulbright ETA to Taiwan. What would you say were your mistakes last year and how are you improving them? And what did you do in your year instead of the Fulbright? Another grant program?

Hey kbui,

I'm applying for an Fulbright ETA to Taiwan. What would you say were your mistakes last year and how are you improving them? And what did you do in your year instead of the Fulbright? Another grant program?

Well that's nice to hear! Taiwan's a great choice, I'm actually starting my Boren Scholarship in Taiwan next week :D

I thought my biggest mistakes were--and these are just speculations since Fulbright doesn't really send specific critiques.

1. I didn't focus on what the Vietnamese audience would think of my essay. I only had Americans read my essays, and so it made sense to them. However, looking back on my essay, I can see how it wasn't projecting as well as I wanted it to.
  2. I was repetitive in my essay. Fulbright only gives you a page for each essay (if you're ETA), so the way you use your words is key!
  3. My recommendation letters weren't strong enough. I asked an adviser and the previous person that was in charge of my teaching/volunteering program to write them. This time around, I'm asking my biology, theology, and communications professors to write them. I've been in close contact with them, and I know they'll write three amazing letters.

I thought these were my biggest weaknesses, so I'm going to work on improving these aspects this time around.

What made you choose Taiwan?

Hey y'all,

I'm applying for the Spain ETA program, hoping specifically that I get one of the grants that deals with the Global Classrooms Model UN program. Anyone else who has MUN experience applying for Spain?

Well that's nice to hear! Taiwan's a great choice, I'm actually starting my Boren Scholarship in Taiwan next week :D

I thought my biggest mistakes were--and these are just speculations since Fulbright doesn't really send specific critiques.

1. I didn't focus on what the Vietnamese audience would think of my essay. I only had Americans read my essays, and so it made sense to them. However, looking back on my essay, I can see how it wasn't projecting as well as I wanted it to.

2. I was repetitive in my essay. Fulbright only gives you a page for each essay (if you're ETA), so the way you use your words is key!

3. My recommendation letters weren't strong enough. I asked an adviser and the previous person that was in charge of my teaching/volunteering program to write them. This time around, I'm asking my biology, theology, and communications professors to write them. I've been in close contact with them, and I know they'll write three amazing letters.

I thought these were my biggest weaknesses, so I'm going to work on improving these aspects this time around.

What made you choose Taiwan?

Hey Kbui,

I'm working on my ETA application to South Korea and I'm concerned that I might be falling into your first mistake of not thoroughly considering how my essays will be received by its South Korean audience. What do you mean when you say your essay wasn't "projecting" as well as you wanted? I guess I'm not sure what the screening committee abroad would be looking for/responsive to that would be different from the domestic U.S. evaluators. Wouldn't they both share the same criteria for a good potential candidate?

Hey Kbui,

I'm working on my ETA application to South Korea and I'm concerned that I might be falling into your first mistake of not thoroughly considering how my essays will be received by its South Korean audience. What do you mean when you say your essay wasn't "projecting" as well as you wanted? I guess I'm not sure what the screening committee abroad would be looking for/responsive to that would be different from the domestic U.S. evaluators. Wouldn't they both share the same criteria for a good potential candidate?

Hey there GeeWesley,

When I wrote my essay I was saying things that sounded like "an American presence will be good for Vietnam," and it didn't say too much on how Vietnam would influence me. I did touch on cultural connection back to my roots, but I think the Vietnamese commission would've liked something more than that. Otherwise, it might've been a biased against me since I'm Vietnamese myself (though I've lived in America for 20 years now), and they were more about cultural exchange than helping me "come back home."

Hope this helps!