Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Alternate to Latvia. Lets hope some funding opens up....

I hope it does too!!! Fingers crossed for you and the other alternates.

I got it!!! 0_o

WOO HOO!!! Guess I'll see you over there!!!! Congrats!

I hope it does too!!! Fingers crossed for you and the other alternates.

WOO HOO!!! Guess I'll see you over there!!!! Congrats!

Indeed! Are you doing ETA or research?

Indeed! Are you doing ETA or research?

Research, splitting time between Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. Will be based in Vilnius and Riga.  Where will you be based?

Research, splitting time between Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. Will be based in Vilnius and Riga.  Where will you be based?

Cool! I'm doing ETA and I haven't been assigned to a specific place yet (at least to my knowledge). Most likely it will be in Riga though. We will have to meet up over there though!

Also tend0n, are you ETA or research?

Cool! I'm doing ETA and I haven't been assigned to a specific place yet (at least to my knowledge). Most likely it will be in Riga though. We will have to meet up over there though!

Also tend0n, are you ETA or research?

Research. I'll be in Riga as well.

I'd definitely be interested in keeping in touch before/during/after the grant period. Maybe we could put something together that's slightly more private than here.

I'm assuming we all go to the same European PDO regardless of grant type, right? See you all July 21-23 in DC!

Aww.  I agree, today is a blah day.  But maybe tomorrow will be better?  You never know!
This whole week has been awful for me. I have drafts due for a section of my thesis today. Yesterday I fell into the toilet at work. Last night I got a splinter in my foot from my own floor. Plus, I look fat in EVERYTHING. And I haven't heard from Fulbright!!!!

This whole week has been awful for me. I have drafts due for a section of my thesis today. Yesterday I fell into the toilet at work. Last night I got a splinter in my foot from my own floor. Plus, I look fat in EVERYTHING. And I haven't heard from Fulbright!!!!

It's official...we must now not acknowledge May 16th anymore. I'm sorry to all those who hold some sentimental value towards this day. Because it was a stinky day, and it's not getting any better.

Good luck tomorrow, my friend! I hope you get some news soon.

So today I forgot I was expecting a call from CO around 6:30, and when the phone rang with a NY number I immediately thought about how they are calling alternates when they get promoted. Got super psyched and then took me 30seconds of saying "who?" "what?" to realize it was the person from CO I was expecting to call.. she was currently traveling in NY.

Whew, still calming down haha.

Today, a friend of mine who applied to the US bound Fulbright program from my country (who was rejected; I didn't apply because of the 2 year home residency requirement) for 2013 linked me to the scholars who were accepted. My country clearly needs to reevaluate how they select the scholars; half the selected post graduate scholars failed to get accepted into any US schools, and the rest (with the exception of someone who got into Princeton) are going to lowly ranked schools. My friend got into Columbia, Princeton and Stanford.

She said most of the questions in the interview stage she got up to weren't about her research or academic qualifications, but fluff like "how will your research benefit this country?", "how will giving you a Fulbright improve the relationship between our country and the US?", and (weirdest of all) "How would you explain a particular bit of local slang to an American?".

While it seems clear to me that making sure someone is genuine about developing the relationship between the countries is an important goal for the Fulbright program, and should be a characteristic of a selected Fulbright scholar, it seems like it would be way too easy to fake in an interview with people outside ones academic field. Considering this, it seems to me like the selection committee should be focusing much more on academics, as they are both verifiable and indicative of someones chances of actually getting into a top US school.

It must be a colossal embarrassment to the Fulbright organisation for their chosen scholars to fail so spectacularly at getting into top US schools. 

Today, a friend of mine who applied to the US bound Fulbright program from my country (who was rejected; I didn't apply because of the 2 year home residency requirement) for 2013 linked me to the scholars who were accepted. My country clearly needs to reevaluate how they select the scholars; half the selected post graduate scholars failed to get accepted into any US schools, and the rest (with the exception of someone who got into Princeton) are going to lowly ranked schools. My friend got into Columbia, Princeton and Stanford.

She said most of the questions in the interview stage she got up to weren't about her research or academic qualifications, but fluff like "how will your research benefit this country?", "how will giving you a Fulbright improve the relationship between our country and the US?", and (weirdest of all) "How would you explain a particular bit of local slang to an American?".

clear to me that making sure someone is genuine about developing the relationship between the countries is an important goal for the Fulbright program, and should be a characteristic of a selected Fulbright scholar, it seems like it would be way too easy to fake in an interview with people outside ones academic field. Considering this, it seems to me like the selection committee should be focusing much more on academics, as they are both verifiable and indicative of someones chances of actually getting into a top US school.

It must be a colossal embarrassment to the Fulbright organisation for their chosen scholars to fail so spectacularly at getting into top US schools. 

We've already discussed this at some length, but it seems pretty clear that Fulbright really does not care what school you went to, and may even go so far as to avoid having a lot of scholars who come from prestigious schools. From some of the people I have talked to who have applied for a Fulbright, and went to a prestigious school, I can say that I felt that they relied too heavily on the fact that they went to a top school, and just expected to get a Fulbright. It seemed like they did not develop their application as fully as they could, thinking that going to Yale or Harvard would be enough.  I think Fulbright is interested in sending more of what could be seen as the "average" American. 

I could be misinterpreting what you are saying, but it sounds to me like you place too much value in those schools as well, at least in regards to Fulbright. I don't think Fulbright is as interested in the research as you think they are; it IS important, but I believe what is most important is developing relationships between countries. I think perhaps they are hoping to encourage future international diplomats or ambassadorship in students who might not have been given a chance at something like that otherwise.

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Okay, which one of you Malaysia ETA's did an interview on NPR this morning? Well, not THIS morning, but I heard it this morning. I only caught the tail end of it, but in sounded like they were talking about their Arab descent?
Cool to hear about a Fulbright scholar on national news this morning :D

O no!!! You poor thing, that definitely sounds like a bad week! I hope you relax this weekend, tgif! 

While it seems clear to me that making sure someone is genuine about developing the relationship between the countries is an important goal for the Fulbright program, and should be a characteristic of a selected Fulbright scholar, it seems like it would be way too easy to fake in an interview with people outside ones academic field. Considering this, it seems to me like the selection committee should be focusing much more on academics, as they are both verifiable and indicative of someones chances of actually getting into a top US school.

I agree with there'sanappforthat, and I appreciate the diplomacy in her response. Fulbright was created for the 'promotion of international good will through the exchange of students in the fields of education, culture, and science.' There are other academically prestigious and competitive grants that one can pursue if a top priority is cutting-edge research or academic competitiveness. I don't think Fulbright is embarrassed at all that their scholars are not going to these "top schools", as you say. Their goal is in 'achieving wide institutional and geographic distribution.' They are also limited financially, and cannot necessarily afford to support a student going to an expensive ivy league school.

I would also consider that these students also may have wanted to go to schools that were interested in their research, and are the top in whichever specialty they are studying. I wouldn't go to Harvard (nor MIT for that matter) for civil engineering, and though I went to the #1 school in civil engineering in the US, I would not go there if what I wanted to study was fatigue in bridges, because I know of another small private school that is doing the most advanced and progressive work in that small field, despite the lack of overall acknowledgement by publications like U.S. News.

Also, there is the fact that internationally recognized schools already benefit from a large influx of foreign students applying to study there. A small private school with low international attendance may benefit more from a foreign student bringing their culture to their campus.

Lastly, here is an old article that displays the pros and cons of the Fulbright program in 1991, and this gives insight into the goals of the program over a decade ago, and why it is the way it is right now: http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/11955/title/The-Fulbright-Program-At-43--Prestigious-But-Not-Perfect/

I agree with there'sanappforthat, and I appreciate the diplomacy in her response. Fulbright was created for the 'promotion of international good will through the exchange of students in the fields of education, culture, and science.' There are other academically prestigious and competitive grants that one can pursue if a top priority is cutting-edge research or academic competitiveness. I don't think Fulbright is embarrassed at all that their scholars are not going to these "top schools", as you say. Their goal is in 'achieving wide institutional and geographic distribution.' They are also limited financially, and cannot necessarily afford to support a student going to an expensive ivy league school.

I would also consider that these students also may have wanted to go to schools that were interested in their research, and are the top in whichever specialty they are studying. I wouldn't go to Harvard (nor MIT for that matter) for civil engineering, and though I went to the #1 school in civil engineering in the US, I would not go there if what I wanted to study was fatigue in bridges, because I know of another small private school that is doing the most advanced and progressive work in that small field, despite the lack of overall acknowledgement by publications like U.S. News.

Also, there is the fact that internationally recognized schools already benefit from a large influx of foreign students applying to study there. A small private school with low international attendance may benefit more from a foreign student bringing their culture to their campus.

Lastly, here is an old article that displays the pros and cons of the Fulbright program in 1991, and this gives insight into the goals of the program over a decade ago, and why it is the way it is right now: http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/11955/title/The-Fulbright-Program-At-43--Prestigious-But-Not-Perfect/

Thanks, couldn't have said it better myself! I would also add that if you are hung up on the "caliber" of the students accepted to the program, you have probably already missed the point of the Fulbright program entirely. What I take from it is that it's mission is not only to foster communication, but to do so between people of all walks of life. If you are going to limit your interactions with people based on their educational background, you probably aren't the type of studen Fulbright is after anyway.

JUST MY GUESS. But, I don't think it's a bad one.