Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Don't feel too bad, ETA's don't go either. :/

I was never going to go. According to spreadsheet, there are seriously only 10 people in this forum waiting to hear back! OMG. 14 more days.

Frankly, I'm still quite baffled that everyone hasn't heard...........Sorry, I've forgotten, are you waiting?

Yes :unsure: I am. If there was a smiley with tears flying out of it's eyes, I would end this sentence with it. Switzerland, why have you forsaken us?

Yes :unsure: I am. If there was a smiley with tears flying out of it's eyes, I would end this sentence with it. Switzerland, why have you forsaken us?

This is crazy! I have to go back to the person who said "better a slow yes, than a quick no." I hope you guys find out soon! Stupid sequester!!! That's it! I am tweeting my Congressmen.

Hello everyone! I am a long-time lurker of this board and am also applying for a Fulbright for the 2014-2015 academic year.

I just wanted to post a message of encouragement to those of you who are still waiting for a response and those who are currently alternates. Hang in there and don't lose hope!!! Know there are plenty of lurkers like me who check the boards everyday and are cheering you on!

Hello everyone! I am a long-time lurker of this board and am also applying for a Fulbright for the 2014-2015 academic year.

I just wanted to post a message of encouragement to those of you who are still waiting for a response and those who are currently alternates. Hang in there and don't lose hope!!! Know there are plenty of lurkers like me who check the boards everyday and are cheering you on!

Good luck to you! We have kicked around the idea of putting together some ideas that will really help applicants since the info out there is a little thin. Though I am only an alternate, I learned quite a bit about the process.

Thanks for keeping up with us! :)

Thanks, and good luck :)

Good luck to you! We have kicked around the idea of putting together some ideas that will really help applicants since the info out there is a little thin. Though I am only an alternate, I learned quite a bit about the process.

Thanks for keeping up with us! :)

I have been trying to go through some of the old pages on here to find information. A lot of the websites I came across initially just simply restated what was on the official IIE website, so I was super excited to find this group.

One of the questions I have is in regards to language capabilities. Since I am applying for a research grant to France, it simply states that I need "French language ability commensurate with the requirements of the project". However, are these my language capabilities when I submit my application or when I (hopefully) go to France? I lived in France until I was 7 years old, so I can understand and read French fairly well, but I haven't really spoken it in years and my conversational skills are rusty. I know I can probably quickly pick it back up if I make sure to practice and study it on a regular basis during the year in between.

Hi all! I hope all has been well since I haven't been checking in so regularly.

I was hoping to get into touch with Fulbright ETA's to Taiwan. As an alternate for a fulbright research grant to a different country, I've decided to apply for Taiwan ETA this upcoming cycle. I would really appreciate learning a bit more about your application and hearing about your experiences abroad! If anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

There's no rush since I am in the middle of studying for a huge exam coming up in June anyways, but I was hoping to get some contact info before you all abandon this thread.

I have been trying to go through some of the old pages on here to find information. A lot of the websites I came across initially just simply restated what was on the official IIE website, so I was super excited to find this group.

One of the questions I have is in regards to language capabilities. Since I am applying for a research grant to France, it simply states that I need "French language ability commensurate with the requirements of the project". However, are these my language capabilities when I submit my application or when I (hopefully) go to France? I lived in France until I was 7 years old, so I can understand and read French fairly well, but I haven't really spoken it in years and my conversational skills are rusty. I know I can probably quickly pick it back up if I make sure to practice and study it on a regular basis during the year in between.

I don't know about applying for France, but for Germany, you had to have someone evaluate your language skills. It has been a while since I have used my German ( a few years) so I just put in the application portion (not my essays) what I planned on doing to get myself "in shape" before I go. I also spoke about this during my on campus interview. I think you would be fine though. My German is only at a conversational level and even that is probably being generous. I am starting to get a little nervous about it, but I did it before, so I know I can do it again. I just have to keep telling myself that, anyway!

Feel free to ask questions; with as much nervous chattering we did while we were (and some still are) waiting, you would be hard pressed to sift through all the madness!! The search function on the forums aren't very good either..

Edited by there'sanappforthat

Hi all! I hope all has been well since I haven't been checking in so regularly.

I was hoping to get into touch with Fulbright ETA's to Taiwan. As an alternate for a fulbright research grant to a different country, I've decided to apply for Taiwan ETA this upcoming cycle. I would really appreciate learning a bit more about your application and hearing about your experiences abroad! If anyone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

There's no rush since I am in the middle of studying for a huge exam coming up in June anyways, but I was hoping to get some contact info before you all abandon this thread.

Good for you! Get back on that horse :)

I could be misinterpreting what you are saying

My friend and I aren't American, I'm talking about inbound scholarships for doing post-grad in America (so I'm certainly not claiming that merely going to a prestigious school entitles someone to a Fulbright). I'm saying that my friend got into Columbia,Princeton etc for grad school, whereas many of the selected scholars didn't get in anywhere. Since the majority of the best schools in the world are in the US, I think the goals of inbound and outbound Fulbright scholarships would be slightly different also.

I would also add that if you are hung up on the "caliber" of the students accepted to the program, you have probably already missed the point of the Fulbright program entirely

The main issue is that half the scholars didn't get into any school at all. The Fulbright committee seems to have chosen scholars who aren't academically strong enough to actually get into US grad school. I certainly agree that academic ability shouldn't be the be all and end all of the Fulbright selection process, but there are issues when Fulbrighters are chosen who get rejected from every university they apply to. You can't foster communication between anyone at all if you never make it to the US.

I would also consider that these students also may have wanted to go to schools that were interested in their research, and are the top in whichever specialty they are studying.

This is a good point, but isn't the case in this situation (their fields are listed on the same page as their attending institution or lack thereof). Besides, the quality of the institution can affect the opportunities a Fulbright scholar has, and the outcomes of those opportunities (which are selection criteria). Fostering communication between people from all walks of life is certainly important, but seems to be emphasised (at least in the written selection criteria if not the actual selection process used) to a lower degree than for out-bound Fulbrighters judging from what you're saying.

there are other academically prestigious and competitive grants that one can pursue if a top priority is cutting-edge research or academic competitiveness.

Not for people from my country bound for the US, certainly none that actually have a presence in my country. Almost all the grants/awards/scholarships for post-graduate funding in the US are restricted to US citizens and permanent residents. High academic achievement is also one of the selection criteria according to the Fulbright website for my country.

That said, what you say is definitely true for the PhD level. Most programs (including my own) give full funding and so applying for Fulbright etc isn't necessary (especially given the 2 year home residency requirement and the funding only lasting a fraction of the program duration anyway). My friend though, doing a masters degree, has no other options but taking out loans. I fully recognise that most people are in the same boat however.

Ignoring the prestigious school thing for a minute, it's clear (from people not getting in anywhere at all, let alone top schools in their field) that they need to at least be more academically selective pre-interview stage. Selection on the basis of Fulbrights "communication" goals is fair enough, but it should be done at a level where you reasonably expect everyone you select to be able to actually get into US grad school in the first place (and I'd still argue shouldn't be done on the basis of inane interview questions).

Edited by Arcanen

Olioliwoo, I would caution you against applying for France since you've already lived there. Fulbright prefers to send students to countries they have never been before, and your seven years in France would count against you.

From their website, http://us.fulbrightonline.org/about/eligibility , one of their preferred qualifications, "Candidates who have not resided or studied in the country to which they are applying for more than six months, not counting undergraduate study abroad are preferred. Duty abroad in the Armed Forces of the United States is not considered disqualifying within the meaning of this section."

I would recommend that you apply for another french-speaking country. It's possible that since you were a child when you lived in France they might see it differently, but a lot of what I've read is that any foreign experience over 6 months affects the odds of being accepted. You would be better served to apply to a french speaking country you haven't been too. Plus, France is one of the countries that has almost 200 applicants, and they only accept about 8% of them. 

Edit: I had to finish a fragmented sentence. And I also am adding a link to their statistics page: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics

Edited by lunita

I just realized that I didn't actually answer your question regarding language capabilities. You will have to submit language evaluations by an instructor who will evaluate your skill at time of application. You should put in the application how you plan to improve your skills prior to actually going to the foreign country. Different countries have different basic needs for language capabilities, and it also might depend on your project and how much interaction you will have to do in the language itself. Some countries don't expect you to have any capability in their local language, though they do expect you to make an effort to learn it while you are there. This is more common in countries, I suppose, who are not considered as UN languages, just guessing.

No update from Brazil, but one thing to celebrate: I graduated today! Be proud of me... I'm 22 and don't know what I'm doing with my life after my summer job! Fulbright, let me know so I can figure out how to contribute to the baby boomer retirement fund with some taxes! ;)

Switzerland people - have any of you tried calling the US embassy over there to see what is going on?

They emailed us on April 30th, and let us know that they will notify us by the end of May.