Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Not selected  :(   All that waiting for nothing.  Feeling bitter.

I am so sorry! *hugs* clearly Fulbright is missing out on a wonderful person.  I wish you the best of luck! 

Thank you guys so much for the support. It really DOES make a difference. I applied for creative writing, so I'm going to look for writer's residencies and hope to find something else. Also, I get married next month, and now we can FINALLY plan our honeymoon because we know where we'll be living. I'd love to keep in touch with everyone. Find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/amandamo.

are people allowed to know their placement? I'd love to know where I am going in Morocco, but have no clue who/how to ask....sigh

Snuffleupagus, I would email James Miller, the head of MACECE (j.miller@macece.ma).  He's always the one I contact and he usually gets back to me.  Alternately, try Jermaine Jones (jjones@iie.org) at IIE.  Hope you hear something! 

Well ! Good news from the Greek artist program ! I was in alternate state and today was informed I got a partial grant :) I don't know if I am going to accept it since I have already made my papers/visa etc but I am glad I have a choice at least :)

Well, it worked....but... (A) :(

Dang it! I'm sorry to hear that. The alternate club is the worst club ever. I am sure you will go on to do amazing things! *hugs to you*

Thank you guys so much for the support. It really DOES make a difference. I applied for creative writing, so I'm going to look for writer's residencies and hope to find something else. Also, I get married next month, and now we can FINALLY plan our honeymoon because we know where we'll be living. I'd love to keep in touch with everyone. Find me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/amandamo.

I sent you a friend request!

I leave for Estonia with the mission team next week. Woo-hoo! I will try to post pictures as I go along.

Wow - so are we done? With the exception of Brazil ETAs? I have to admit - this is a little bittersweet...

I'm sad. I'm gonna miss everyone. Really, I would love to hear about everyone's adventures. I'm on Facebook and Twitter and all that jazz. Maybe I can lurk on the Facebook groups. ;)

Dang it! I'm sorry to hear that. The alternate club is the worst club ever. I am sure you will go on to do amazing things! *hugs to you*

I sent you a friend request!

I leave for Estonia with the mission team next week. Woo-hoo! I will try to post pictures as I go along.

Thanks CrystalDee!

I'm done here. I might reapply next year, but I'm not sure yet. I'm looking forward to the end of June when the Alternate situation will be more clear. If I do apply for next year, I will do it sans-board. This has been a great year and I've learned a lot from this board. If I apply again, I plan on telling almost no one, and not thinking about it at all after submitting the application.

Thanks everyone!

Wow - so are we done? With the exception of Brazil ETAs? I have to admit - this is a little bittersweet...

Pretty much... All this board will be left to is hopefully alternates with good news and those of us waiting to hear back from Brazil anytime in June. I remember lurking this page for hours on end in February and March... now I get on it once a day max. I miss all of the happy updates (but not the frustration!).

haha I feel the same...how ever will I procrastinate without you guys?!

I know! Random zumba question for you: for the job I'm working right now we need to hire a zumba teacher for an event (a health fair). The people in the zumba class will all be 65+ and on Medicare/uninsured. What is a reasonable hourly rate to pay an instructor?

I know! Random zumba question for you: for the job I'm working right now we need to hire a zumba teacher for an event (a health fair). The people in the zumba class will all be 65+ and on Medicare/uninsured. What is a reasonable hourly rate to pay an instructor?

haha welll, it really depends on the area, I usually do events like that on a volunteer basis, when events like that do offer to pay me I'm very flexible, my average hourly rate at like a gym is $25/hour so I'll tell them that but say that it's negotiable...where are you? I may have Zumba connections near you that I could figure out the going rate, or just be open with them, maybe figure out what your budget is and ask them what they typically charge, because every instructor is different too, some instructors here charge $35 or $40 an hour, but this is just a side gig for me so I tend to work for cheaper...but if what they want is way out of your budget just be honest with them and ask if maybe they could recommend someone else who would be more in your price range? Zumba instructors tend to be reallllllly approachable and super easy to just be honest and work stuff out with :)  Good luck!

For those of us who are applying for 2014-2015, do you know if there's already a board? I've searched, but haven't found one.

haha welll, it really depends on the area, I usually do events like that on a volunteer basis, when events like that do offer to pay me I'm very flexible, my average hourly rate at like a gym is $25/hour so I'll tell them that but say that it's negotiable...where are you? I may have Zumba connections

near you that I could figure out the going rate, or just be open with them, maybe figure out what your budget is and ask them what they typically charge, because every instructor is different too, some instructors here

charge $35 or $40 an hour, but this is just a side gig for me so I tend to work for cheaper...but if what they want is way out of your budget just be honest with them and ask if maybe they could recommend someone else

who would be more in your price range? Zumba instructors tend to be reallllllly approachable and super easy to just be honest and work stuff out with :) Good luck!

Thanks so much! I'm in Denver. We had a Zumba teacher and he charged

us $20/hr, but then informed us he's raising his rates to $40/hour. I didn't know if we were just getting him really cheap to start and now he's charging the going rate - or if this is ridiculously expensive and we need to find somebody else... Thoughts? Our price range is $20/25 per hour (we're a county safety net hospital and by definition - poor, lol). Any connections you might have are welcome and MUCH appreciated!! Our patients LOVE this - and we do too, since it's a great way to introduce movement into their lives. Many of them are older, disabled, have weight challenges, or all of the above. Any insight you might have is amazing! Thanks

Edited by rtlc06

Snuffleupagus, I would email James Miller, the head of MACECE (j.miller@macece.ma).  He's always the one I contact and he usually gets back to me.  Alternately, try Jermaine Jones (jjones@iie.org) at IIE.  Hope you hear something! 

Thanks so much, I've tried Jermaine but will try James Miller :)

Just got bumped from alternate to accepted for an ETA in Taiwan!!!! I am beyond excited!  Pending medical clearance, I will be in Taiwan August 1st!

Congrats! Nice to see another East Asia/Pacific alternate get promoted. 

Just wondering: Have other Fulbrighters sent in their medical clearances and gotten them approved? How long did it take?

I have next to no reason to be worried about not being approved, but the uncertainty still perturbs me. I don't like the idea of buying airplane tickets before I get the stipend or final approval!