Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Thanks so much! I'm in Denver. We had a Zumba teacher and he charged

us $20/hr, but then informed us he's raising his rates to $40/hour. I didn't know if we were just getting him really cheap to start and now he's charging the going rate - or if this is ridiculously expensive and we need to find somebody else... Thoughts? Our price range is $20/25 per hour (we're a county safety net hospital and by definition - poor, lol). Any connections you might have are welcome and MUCH appreciated!! Our patients LOVE this - and we do too, since it's a great way to introduce movement into their lives. Many of them are older, disabled, have weight challenges, or all of the above. Any insight you might have is amazing! Thanks

so I don't have any zumba connections in Denver but I posted to our Louisiana Zumba instructor page to see if anyone else does, but just in general, I'd say you could find someone else, maybe a newer instructor or just someone more into the charity aspect of it who is willing to do it for cheaper or free...I personally feel like this guy sounds like a douche if he wants to charge you that much for an awareness event...

everybody come check the board a couple of times in June to see what happens with the alternates and those waiting on Brazil! Don't leave until then ;)

You betcha! I am praying for your acceptance to Brazil. I hope it all goes well. Thanks for the add on Twitter! 

You betcha! I am praying for your acceptance to Brazil. I hope it all goes well. Thanks for the add on Twitter! 

Thanks and my pleasure! Slowly but surely learning some Estonian words as a result :) 

Hi guys, I've been lurking on this board since October but hadn't bothered joining. Anyways, just wanted to say that yesterday I was promoted from alternate to accepted for Fulbright ETA in South Korea! Keep your spirits up, it can still happen!

Hi guys, I've been lurking on this board since October but hadn't bothered joining. Anyways, just wanted to say that yesterday I was promoted from alternate to accepted for Fulbright ETA in South Korea! Keep your spirits up, it can still happen!

Congrats!!

Hope there are still some posters around to answer this question!! I want to apply for a Fulbright ETA next year. I have mild OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and am currently on a  medication

(antidepressant) and it is well managed. I have studied and traveled extensively abroad without a problem. Do I have to notify Fulbright of this condition? 

This is great! Congratulations! Have a wonderful time!

Hope there are still some posters around to answer this question!! I want to apply for a Fulbright ETA next year. I have mild OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and am currently on a  medication

(antidepressant) and it is well managed. I have studied and traveled extensively abroad without a problem. Do I have to notify Fulbright of this condition? 

I am not sure really. I wouldn't let that stop you. I want to say I have heard some countries do require a health form. So, it may depend on your country of interest.

Definitely for Germany, and I think for a lot of countries, like CrystalDee mentioned, there is a health form (not required until after you are accepted, so no need to notify them beforehand if that's what you mean).  It requires a pretty comprehensive medical history, and I think medications and the like as well (I don't really take meds for anything so I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure that was on there). 

But basically you sit down with your doctor and go through all of the questions and then they say whether or not they think you're "fit" for whatever you would be doing.  So if you say it is well managed I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I think in your case the only reasons why it would be an issue would be if you were planning to apply to someplace where you might not have access to your meds if you needed them (though I think most people are planning to bring a lot of refills with them), or if your program would place you under conditions that might exacerbate your OCD. 

I can't say what exactly are grounds for them to deny you the grant, but I doubt a well-managed mild disorder would qualify.  Good luck!!!

I would suggest calling the Fulbright US Student offices anonymously, that way you can get the straight answer without it affecting your application.

edit: my personal opinion is that it will not affect your application.

Edited by vPersie

I just got promoted! I'm going to Switzerland! 

Yea!!! I am so happy for you! That is really, really wonderful!

Well, I have news. I found out today that I wasn't chosen because I am too old. They like younger applicants. My research topic was valid and timely, but they like young folks. So, my application was good enough, I just wasn't. I guess I have a thesis topic for my masters now.

Well, I have news. I found out today that I wasn't chosen because I am too old. They like younger applicants. My research topic was valid and timely, but they like young folks. So, my application was good enough, I just wasn't. I guess I have a thesis topic for my masters now.

Ugh, that's unfortunate.  I am sorry.  It is too bad that they are doing that, they are really missing out on a great candidate.  Well, best of luck to you! It has been great seeing you on this board.

Edited by Porshyen

Sorry to hear that! At least you know that you are a high quality student! I wish they weren't discriminatory like that though.

They can legally discriminate based on age?! That's a load of crap!

How did you find that out!? Did you talk to someone at Fulbright? If so, you need to get that in writing! That's not fair/likely illegal/the most f****d up thing I've ever heard in relationship to this program! Get that in writing, then raise hell!! Craziness!!

How did you find that out!? Did you talk to someone at Fulbright? If so, you need to get that in writing! That's not fair/likely illegal/the most f****d up thing I've ever heard in relationship to this program! Get that in writing, then raise hell!! Craziness!!

My source is credible. He called the embassy in April and they said they prioritize by most recent graduates, and they like the younger applicants. I graduated in May 2011; yes, it was 2 years ago, and yes I am 40. But, I took the long road in this life. I emailed IIE about it. I said had I known up front they were going to be that way, I would have not applied. And I won't be reapplying...I ain't gettin' any younger. Lol!!

Oh well, you pay your money and you take your chance.

My source is credible. He called the embassy in April and they said they prioritize by most recent graduates, and they like the younger applicants. I graduated in May 2011; yes, it was 2 years ago, and yes I am 40. But, I took the long road in this life. I emailed IIE about it. I said had I known up front they were going to be that way, I would have not applied. And I won't be reapplying...I ain't gettin' any younger. Lol!!

Oh well, you pay your money and you take your chance.

What the ----!!! Can you get your source to email the embassy person and get that recorded in an email? That's so incredibly wrong on about 40,000 levels!!

What the ----!!! Can you get your source to email the embassy person and get that recorded in an email? That's so incredibly wrong on about 40,000 levels!!

I doubt they would admit it. I'm sure they feel justified in their selections. I am meeting him in person in about a week and a half. I will get more info then. It does feel wrong. But, my son had ACL surgery today, and so I don't have a lot of fight in me today. ;) I did tell my on campus advisor that I recommend he coach applicants who are older.

I doubt they would admit it. I'm sure they feel justified in their selections. I am meeting him in person in about a week and a half. I will get more info then. It does feel wrong. But, my son had ACL surgery today, and so I don't have a lot of fight in me today. ;) I did tell my on campus advisor that I recommend he coach applicants who are older.

I thought I had seen this somewhere...but I realized it was in the Germany ETA page from IIE.

"Candidates at all degree levels will be considered. Candidates should be well-rounded, articulate individuals with the skills and motivation needed to assist in teaching American studies, including English language, to German students at all pre-university levels. These grants are especially suited for students of German (e.g., German studies and history). Applicants from other academic fields will be considered if they have adequate German proficiency. Strong preference will be given to applicants younger than 29."

I did check the Estonia page and it didn't say anything specific like that.  It definitely seems wrong to deny you a grant because of your age, as you are obviously deserving.  And if they were going to do that, they should have mentioned that somewhere in your literature beforehand.  But I guess their reasoning is probably that they want this experience to help open young minds so that they can spread that knowledge and utilize it in their further development.  I don't necessarily agree, because certainly you can continue developing past age 29, and I think there are definitely people out there like you who could seriously benefit from and bring amazing qualities to the table here, but if they were being truly discriminatory about it they wouldn't have selected you as an alternate. 

I think that if you and other applicants all presented amazing projects, in the absence of any other factors to use to decide, age might be why they decided to give someone else priority, as opposed to using it as a reason for demoting you in particular.  If that makes sense. 

All you can do is try.  If they don't appreciate your worth you just need to find a program that will.