Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Alternate for the Czech Republic here. Anyone hear anything?

I have some really great job opportunities popping up here that I don't want to miss out on because of the Fulbright, but I don't want to miss out on the Fulbright because of the job either. I understand that typically extra money comes through to fund alternates  (last year the Czech Fublright committee funded 11 people despite their original limits of hiring 5-7 through extra funding). Should I email them and ask if there's a chance that extra money may come through this summer? If so, I'll wait on these jobs, but if not I'll gladly pursue the jobs here? But, I don't want to come across as needy/helicopterparent-ish.

GOD I JUST WANT TO KNOW

I sure hope so! I can only imagine getting alternate or not selected to ANOTHER country... I would probably start a rebellion against Fulbright! I'm sure I could find others on here that would join me ;)

I did find some free Kindle books on basic Portuguese and got them, but I refuse to actually purchase a book unless I hear back positively... I don't want to get my hopes up! 

Are there any other Brazil Fulbrighters out there waiting, or am I the only one left here?! Hello?? Bom dia??? (I hope I said that right...)

I am also awaiting the news re: ETA Brazil! (no emails of any kind yet). I was not selected as an alternate for the country I originally applied and was thrilled to get the email about the Brazil opportunity! You are not the only one left!

Either way, hope it's good for you in the end! Yes, I was in Panama for 10 days in 2012 on a mission trip. Beautiful country and friendly people!

Yes, I am part Panamanian and went to Panama in Dec 2011/ Jan 2012 for 3 weeks. I absolutely loved it. Beautiful :-)

Edited by krys315

Hi! I just joined and am excited to see some Brazil ETA applicants on here!

I am still waiting anxiously for (hopefully) an acceptance letter. Like all of you, it would be a dream! I applied for Peru but was not accepted, and was a bit sad but got over it quickly-whatever is meant to be will be. However, I was super excited when I received an email in late April from Fulbright asking me to apply to Brazil because I received highly favorable scores, although I wasn't selected for Peru--not even an alternate! (Though I believe there were only 5 ETAs and over 30 applied...)

I really hope I get offered the opportunity...I have not heard anything yet, just that my statement of interest was received and that we should hear by the end of June, if not earlier. I'm hoping earlier! But I suppose I can survive 2 weeks...good luck to all of you! Any updates??

Yeah I got the same email. I originally applied to Brazil as an ETA and did not receive an alternate slot. I believe maybe 200 people applied for 30 grants. The only difference is that in my email they said I am being reconsidered and I do not have to reapply, just to let them know if I want to withdraw...Then I  received those 2 emails this week of course...ahah

I am also awaiting the news re: ETA Brazil! (no emails of any kind yet). I was not selected as an alternate for the country I originally applied and was thrilled to get the email about the Brazil opportunity! You are not the only one left!

Welcome to the board then! What country were you an alternate for?

Alternate for the Czech Republic here. Anyone hear anything?

I have some really great job opportunities popping up here that I don't want to miss out on because of the Fulbright, but I don't want to miss out on the Fulbright because of the job either. I understand that typically extra money comes through to fund alternates  (last year the Czech Fublright committee funded 11 people despite their original limits of hiring 5-7 through extra funding). Should I email them and ask if there's a chance that extra money may come through this summer? If so, I'll wait on these jobs, but if not I'll gladly pursue the jobs here? But, I don't want to come across as needy/helicopterparent-ish.

GOD I JUST WANT TO KNOW

I know how you feel. Hopefully us Brazil applicants will find out within the next 2 weeks, but I'm also interviewing for jobs and GAs for grad school...and I'm excited to explore other opportunities, but I don't want to say 'yes' or 'no' to anything until I know for sure about Fulbright. I guess it's the blessing/curse of having the opportunity to apply for a Fulbright and be a potential candidate...such an honor, but it's frustrating to have to wait and put your life on hold. 

I'm waiting on Brazil too; I was a Panama alternate. Honestly, if given the option between Panama and Brazil, I'd take Brazil any day now! Ready to learn some Portuguese if accepted. Hoping for some results sooner rather than later, though I'm not checking my inbox every hour yet...

Congrats on being an alternate for Panama. And I am thrilled about the potential opportunity to go to Brazil. I am a Spanish/Education major but love learning languages and Portuguese was always at the top of my list. Not going to lie, I'm starting to obsessively check my inbox....I am remaining positive though and am just grateful I had the opportunity to apply for an ETA a second time. I feel like my statements are strong but I have a lower GPA than most Fulbright recipients, which I am worried will affect whether or not I am accepted to be an ETA. Obviously, there are many highly qualified applicants who have a variety of interesting experiences and future career goals. Best of luck to all of you who are still waiting!

Yeah I got the same email. I originally applied to Brazil as an ETA and did not receive an alternate slot. I believe maybe 200 people applied for 30 grants. The only difference is that in my email they said I am being reconsidered and I do not have to reapply, just to let them know if I want to withdraw...Then I  received those 2 emails this week of course...ahah

I had to write 1 new statement. Again, hopefully the emails you received are a positive side..doesn't look like anyone else has received emails like that on this board. I am selfishly jealous to say that you probably easily have a leg up over alternates that applied to other south/central american countries :) 

I'm really curious as to how many people are in this round for Brazil... 169 people applied to Brazil in round one, so how many of them are in this round... then take into consideration all of the western hemisphere eta alternates...  and then I wonder how many not selected from other countries got in? I'm going to throw out a crazy guess at 150. Even though I'm an alternate to Panama, I'm not sure that gives me any sort of advantage (Panama only had 7 apply for 2 spots...)

Welcome to the board then! What country were you an alternate for?

Thanks! I have been lurking around for a while starting back in January and was sooo disappointed to get that initial rejection email. I applied to Argentina. I think 120 applied for about 15 spots. I got the same email about having very favorable reviews this time around for Brazil and was very surprised and happy. Somewhat obsessively checking my email every day now! I have no idea how many applicants are now under consideration for Brazil, although I remember the email did say it was a select group so I'm hoping it's smaller rather than larger!

CrystalDee--my mom entered the Peace Corps at age 50 and served in Romania. One of her fellow Peace Corps friends was 80 years old. Fulbright is silly to think that age matters.

That is really awesome! I don't feel so old. ;) I think age can be an advantage as well, but it just wasn't meant to be for me.

I actually saw the embassy staff and then the ambassador when I was in Tallinn. I said hello and told them that Oklahoma was being well represented in Estonia.

It's great to see more alternates getting called up!

Thanks! I have been lurking around for a while starting back in January and was sooo disappointed to get that initial rejection email. I applied to Argentina. I think 120 applied for about 15 spots. I got the same email about having very favorable reviews this time around for Brazil and was very surprised and happy. Somewhat obsessively checking my email every day now! I have no idea how many applicants are now under consideration for Brazil, although I remember the email did say it was a select group so I'm hoping it's smaller rather than larger!

Ya... I'm wondering how many people they asked originally and how many were willing to write the extra statement of interest.... or even willing to go to Brazil! I'm sure many wouldn't want to learn Portuguese or may already have made full-time plans... Needless to say, I'll be crushed if I get alternate AGAIN haha

speaking of Portuguese...are any of you Brazil ETAs taking Portuguese classes? I'm trying to figure out where I could learn the language here

Edited by mmurphy48

speaking of Portuguese...are any of you Brazil ETAs taking Portuguese classes? I'm trying to figure out where I could learn the language here

Waiting to find out if I get it or not before I commit to any sort of classes... don't want to get my hopes up!

Waiting to find out if I get it or not before I commit to any sort of classes... don't want to get my hopes up!

Same here; I am waiting! (But have played around a bit with a free online language program that offers Portuguese called Duolingo. Portuguese is definitely quite different from Spanish, the second language I am fluent in!). I live in San Diego and am wondering the same thing--where could I take non-virtual classes. Luckily there is a Brazilian cultural center here and I think that language courses are offered through local university extension programs.

Ya... I'm wondering how many people they asked originally and how many were willing to write the extra statement of interest.... or even willing to go to Brazil! I'm sure many wouldn't want to learn Portuguese or may already have made full-time plans... Needless to say, I'll be crushed if I get alternate AGAIN haha

Good points... Hopefully just the three of us! haha. There wasn't a lot of time to write the second statement so I am sure that not everyone offered the chance took it, although I must say I had never considered Brazil because of the language barrier but I didn't have to think twice about it when I got the offer. :D  And I know exactly what you mean. Fulbright already broke my heart once! I am trying to be realistic and not get my hopes up too high but stay positive! I am pretty sure that mmurphy is a shoe-in in light of that email. I wonder when they will make the announcements (soon, please!) and if they will be all at once or on a case-by-case basis as decisions are made...

On the plus side while we wait.... I officially have committed with LanguageCorps to teach English in Chile starting July 8! The plan is to be there until late December and then (hopefully) head to Brazil in late February if given the Fulbright. Pretty excited for the upcoming weeks!

I heard of LanguageCorps and am considering it probably for next year depending on what happens with Fulbright..do you mind telling me about it? Do you have to pay for transportation, etc? Congrats for accepting-always wanted to go to Chile..or really anywhere is South America because I have never been (went to Costa Rica for a 10 day service trip 5 years ago and then studied abroad for a semester in Spain last year).

I heard of LanguageCorps and am considering it probably for next year depending on what happens with Fulbright..do you mind telling me about it? Do you have to pay for transportation, etc? Congrats for accepting-always wanted to go to Chile..or really anywhere is South America because I have never been (went to Costa Rica for a 10 day service trip 5 years ago and then studied abroad for a semester in Spain last year).

They have it all over the world. Basically you pay LanguageCorps for an intensive four-week TESOL certification, and they help network you for employment in the area. In some Asian countries (flagship countries like Thailand, Vietnam, and Cambodia), you can have guaranteed employment through them, along with insurance, housing, etc. With Chile, I'm doing the certification process with them and then seeking employment. Make sure to pick a country in the right hiring time! Originally I wanted to do Costa Rica, but it was bad hiring time, so they pointed me to better countries based on the time of year and such. www.languagecorps.com 

On the plus side while we wait.... I officially have committed with LanguageCorps to teach English in Chile starting July 8! The plan is to be there until late December and then (hopefully) head to Brazil in late February if given the Fulbright. Pretty excited for the upcoming weeks!

Congrats! That is super exciting! I checked out the website; it looks like a great program. Something to think about for the in-between time! 

Well, looks like we will be waiting until next week at least for Brazil...

Just checked my email for the fifth time today too, I guess so :wacko:  I was really hoping today was the day! Was thinking decisions might be made on a Friday (around 6 pm PT, similar to the first round?). Wonder if that means it will be next Friday or even the very last Friday in June!! Noooo! But who knows, as the situation here is totally different? To put it in perspective though, we will hear one way or another within the next two weeks!! That's no time  :)  (when you're not checking emails 5-10x/day).