Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Just checked my email for the fifth time today too, I guess so :wacko:  I was really hoping today was the day! Was thinking decisions might be made on a Friday (around 6 pm PT, similar to the first round?). Wonder if that means it will be next Friday or even the very last Friday in June!! Noooo! But who knows, as the situation here is totally different? To put it in perspective though, we will hear one way or another within the next two weeks!! That's no time  :)  (when you're not checking emails 5-10x/day).

No kidding! At least we know it will be two weeks or less. I'm wondering if there will be any visa issues if I'm in Chile and accepted?! It sounds like there is an extensive list of things we must do like medical screenings and such before departing... I hope they send stuff sooner rather than later so I can take care of all of that before leaving for Chile (if I'm fortunate enough to get an offer)!

ughh here we go again. I was all heartbroken when I got rejected last year, but I have a new idea for a great project and realized my project last year was kind of boring. This year, I think my idea is actually pretty innovative... Basically I want to take operas by Jewish composers from the 1930s right before the Third Reich that were repressed or forbidden to be performed and make comprehensive copies of them (readable scores with an introduction and translation, so that people can use them more freely for performances) and also do perhaps one or two performances of these operas. 

I am still working on getting a letter of affiliation. Not sure how to start. I had one last year but realizing it was probably no where near detailed enough; all she said was that they'd accept me and support my project. I don't know if you need more than that. Also, I don't think I want to use the same person again. Part of me is embarrassed to reach out because I basically have to admit to everyone I reached out to last time that I was rejected :( 

But I'm going to keep trying... sigh. If I get rejected again, I guess it's not meant to be, but I want to try!

ughh here we go again. I was all heartbroken when I got rejected last year, but I have a new idea for a great project and realized my project last year was kind of boring. This year, I think my idea is actually pretty innovative... Basically I want to take operas by Jewish composers from the 1930s right before the Third Reich that were repressed or forbidden to be performed and make comprehensive copies of them (readable scores with an introduction and translation, so that people can use them more freely for performances) and also do perhaps one or two performances of these operas. 

I am still working on getting a letter of affiliation. Not sure how to start. I had one last year but realizing it was probably no where near detailed enough; all she said was that they'd accept me and support my project. I don't know if you need more than that. Also, I don't think I want to use the same person again. Part of me is embarrassed to reach out because I basically have to admit to everyone I reached out to last time that I was rejected :(

But I'm going to keep trying... sigh. If I get rejected again, I guess it's not meant to be, but I want to try!

Good for you for trying again! I don't know if I could go through the process again if I get rejected twice this year, but you never know! I'm planning on applying for PhD programs for fall of 2014, and to adjunct jobs as well. The LanguageCorps program that people are talking about sounds like a really cool option in the meantime!

You shouldn't be embarrassed at all; just say that you have a new vision for your project that you are even more excited about...I'm sure the same folks would be more than happy to help you and excited about your idea too :) I must say I am glad that I am at the end of the line now and just waiting to find out rather than starting my application. It's an intense process, that's for sure, but I'm sure you'll do great!

Hi all,

I've been lurking about this forum throughout my Fulbright application process. I'm also waiting on Brazil, so I thought I'd join you in the waiting game haha. Good luck to all who are waiting!

I'm glad to hear people are still getting their alternative status changed and really hope the Brazil people are learning abut their status. Brazil is absolutely somewhere I'd love to go.

Hi all,

I've been lurking about this forum throughout my Fulbright application process. I'm also waiting on Brazil, so I thought I'd join you in the waiting game haha. Good luck to all who are waiting!

Welcome to the waiting game! Where did you apply for in the first round, Brazil or another country? 

By the way, if anybody gets bored and wants to read about my experiences in Chile, I'll be blogging at zacharyhaskin.blogspot.com. I have a pre-trip note up already and will blog every week or two with pictures, stories, etc!

Hi all,

We're all coming out of the woodwork! Welcome, belated visitor like myself! May we all meet on the banks of the Amazon!  :lol:

I'm glad to hear people are still getting their alternative status changed and really hope the Brazil people are learning abut their status. Brazil is absolutely somewhere I'd love to go.

Thanks! Did you apply/or are you applying this year? 

I'm going to Brazil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAAAAAY!!!!!!! All of your hard work finally paid off and the agonizing/wondering/waiting is over!! Congrats!!

P.S. I've been lurking this board specifically waiting for Brazil people to hear back!! The notifications are heeeeere!! Keep us all posted :-)

Edited by rtlc06

I made it. THANK GOD! <3 This is such a blessing.

I highly encourage everyone to re-apply again if you did not make it. I graduated with a 2.9 GPA and still made it.

Congrats! And now we wait to see where we get placed... 

I'm going to Brazil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made it. THANK GOD! <3 This is such a blessing.

I highly encourage everyone to re-apply again if you did not make it. I graduated with a 2.9 GPA and still made it.

Congrats! I Am not, but congratulations to all who are! Best of luck!

Congrats you guys!!! That's amazing! Did you all receive emails today?? I didn't get anything...  :blink:  What does that mean??? murphy, so sorry to hear that. Did they send you a formal email saying it was a no-go?

Congrats you guys!!! That's amazing! Did you all receive emails today?? I didn't get anything...  :blink:  What does that mean??? murphy, so sorry to hear that. Did they send you a formal email saying it was a no-go?

You got nothing yet?! Check your spam, junk boxes, alternate emails, and the works?! That's crazy! Maybe they are doing it on a rolling process.... Hopefully you will hear something asap! 

You got nothing yet?! Check your spam, junk boxes, alternate emails, and the works?! That's crazy! Maybe they are doing it on a rolling process.... Hopefully you will hear something asap! 

ej, did you get the confirmation email that your statement of interest was received? I got that in late May or so I think...

Nothing! And oh trust me, I checked EVERYTHING! When I happened to look here on the forum this evening I was like "What?!" The plot thickens, but only for me! Maybe mine is taking longer to process because I submitted it pretty much the last possible day (I was in the middle of prepping my Master's thesis & TAing a class--what a CRAZY semester!), and they ARE doing it on a rolling basis? Though it seems like Fulbright precedent stands that they release all notifications at once, including alternates? Ahhhh!

You make a good point though; there actually was a weird email snafu and I didn't receive the confirmation letter; however, when I called the contact lady in NY she said the confirmation had been sent and then sent me a second copy which I did receive then. I hope nothing crazy happened to my application! Ahhh! Maybe I should call her tmw and see what it is up, if I don't have an email by the afternoon!

Congrats! And now we wait to see where we get placed... 

Yeah. I have  a friend in RIo. My old roommate. That would be great. Then I have a male buddy who has been practicing Portuguese with me for the past 2 yrs. He is in Sao Paulo...I hope I don't end up in some abandoned country area!! lol