Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Guys thanks for all your input. It sounds like most of you applied through institutions. I graduated this May and, having missed my university deadline, am now applying at large. From reading successful ETA essays, one thing seems to be clear: all of the candidates seem to have extensive teaching experience. I don't. I can accept this and am making the best of it. But one thing has me stumped. In the ETA STATEMENT OF GRANT essay, one of the things you have to mention is what you're going to be doing when not teaching.

I was wondering how did you guys come up with projects to do when not teaching in your host country?

Hey--the amount of teaching experience you "need" is dependent upon which country you're applying for--what country is it?

I'm currently doing the USTA in Austria, and was also accepted for ETA Germany. I have no teaching experience beyond working in a summer camp, doing a VERY little bit of private tutoring, and working as a nanny. What I did was write about these experiences as a sort of preparation for teaching in a more informal way, and talked about how what I had learned would be relevant to the ETA.

The bottom line is this, I had no formal teaching experience, and neither did the vast majority of the people I am here in Austria with or the people I know who got the Germany ETA. It really just depends on the country--read their requirements carefully and play up the experience you do have.

Regarding the secondary project, I proposed two, and really only vaguely described one. I have a degree in creative writing and had a writing project I wanted to do that required me being in Germany and having access to a community of Turkish immigrants. My other project (the one I only mentioned) was to start a creative writing group with students for after school.

For Austria, we didn't really have to have a secondary project, but I talked about wanting to do writing projects and learn more German.

Hey all,

A couple quick questions:

1. I took classes at several universities for credit which were not my degree granting institution. The website says I have to upload the transcripts for these classes but there isn't any place in the online application designated for me to upload them that I can see. Am I missing something?

2. I've written everything I feel like I need to say in both my Statement of Grant Purpose and my Personal Statement with space left over in both. Is that a bad thing?

1) You can also make a pdf of multiple transcripts. I have them from my undergraduate school BS/MS and then my PhD transcripts. Worst case, you can put a piece of paper with typed out message of what the second transcript is.

2) You should try and not have much space left over. If you do have space, think about how you can describe yourself or a situation better. They are looking for the trajectory of you career/path, the better you describe each situation the easier they can visualize it.

I applied last year and got Fulbright Alternate. I am trying again this year and have already re-written my essays 15 times and had over 10 different people read them. It takes a lot of effort and time, but these essays are supposed to speak for you since you dont get a normal interview.

I had my institutional interview (with my ugrad board) last Thursday. Worked on edits they provided as a board and my own final edits to the application and statements. Finally, yesterday after a thorough overview to assure all was good I submitted my application! I just pray that mid-January brings good news! Good luck to everyone finalizing everything and to all of us awaiting that dreadful mid-January email. Again, last year I received mine on the 20th (FYI).

Hi all,

Very glad to have found this forum. I am finalizing my essays, which are due to my university Friday. I am applying for a full grant to Colombia.

Has anyone found information on general qualifications for grantees? Either as statistics or just anecdotal. Very eager to size up whether I actually have a shot at this thing...

Thanks and good luck everyone.

I just had my Fulbright interview this week through Skype and it went really well. The committee thought that I had a lot of potential and they're hopeful for this upcoming year.

I looked through my application with my adviser and I just submitted it a couple minutes ago. All the recommendations are in, and now everything is complete. Now, it's the waiting game... lol. Decisions can't come fast enough!

Of course I have some tips for interviewing, Mr. Blue!

First, I'd like to type down the interview questions that I still remember.

1. Why do you want to do a Fulbright ETA in Thailand?
  2. What will you bring to the classroom?
  3. What is the hardest challenge you've faced during your time teaching/tutoring? How did you deal with it?
  4. How will you incorporate culture into language teaching?
  5. What are some teaching techniques that you'll use during your ETA?
  6. What will you do outside of your teaching assistant responsibilities?
  7. Tell us how you plan to share your experiences with the local community.
  8. What do you miss most about your home? (I live in Minnesota)
  9. How will you represent America abroad?
  10. How will you be an ambassador to the United States abroad?

Some of the questions aren't word for word, but it's the general gist.

As for tips:

1. Dress professionally. Overdressing is better than under-dressing, but try not to dress like you're preparing to be knighted by the Queen of England or going to prom.
  2. Be confident with your answers. If you stumble, just start answering the question again from the beginning. At the end, clearly summarize what you just said in 1-2 sentences. If you're not sure what they're asking, it's okay to ask them to repeat it or phrase it differently.
  3. Make sure to give specific examples. "I've taught and tutored for four years," is a good description, but "I've taught first through five graders at a low-income school for a year using flash cards, games, and lesson plans I created on the spot" is a bit better. Don't worry that you're taking up time because this is an interview and they're genuinely interested in you and your plans.
  4. Be yourself.

However, I haven't gotten a Fulbright yet and these are just some things I've picked up over the years.

Of course I have some tips for interviewing, Mr. Blue!

First, I'd like to type down the interview questions that I still remember.

3. What is the hardest challenge you've faced during your time teaching/tutoring? How did you deal with it?

Some of the questions aren't word for word, but it's the general gist.

As for tips:

1. Dress professionally. Overdressing is better than under-dressing, but try not to dress like you're preparing to be knighted by the Queen of England or going to prom.

2. Be confident with your answers. If you stumble, just start answering the question again from the beginning. At the end, clearly summarize what you just said in 1-2 sentences. If you're not sure what they're asking, it's okay to ask them to repeat it or phrase it differently.

3. Make sure to give specific examples. "I've taught and tutored for four years," is a good description, but "I've taught first through five graders at a low-income school for a year using flash cards, games, and lesson plans I created on the spot" is a bit better. Don't worry that you're taking up time because this is an interview and they're genuinely interested in you and your plans.

4. Be yourself.

However, I haven't gotten a Fulbright yet and these are just some things I've picked up over the years.

Thank you kbui! I just had my campus interview and this was very helpful. Good luck!

Just found this forum and not sure whether it will help decrease my stress about this process or just make it worse!

I am applying for an ETA position in Taiwan and my application is still several steps from being complete--so jealous of those of you who have everything in. For starters, two of my recommendation letter writers are on sabbatical and I just have my fingers crossed that they will submit the letters on time.

And I am still revising my statements. One thing I am going back and forth about is the laguage issue. Taiwan says no language requirement but I have three years of Mandarin plus a summer study in China, and I am not sure how much to talk about this.

Also, there are a few places on the application for "comments" which sound optional but will it be bad to not write something?

Just found this forum and not sure whether it will help decrease my stress about this process or just make it worse!

I am applying for an ETA position in Taiwan and my application is still several steps from being complete--so jealous of those of you who have everything in. For starters, two of my recommendation letter writers are on sabbatical and I just have my fingers crossed that they will submit the letters on time.

And I am still revising my statements. One thing I am going back and forth about is the laguage issue. Taiwan says no language requirement but I have three years of Mandarin plus a summer study in China, and I am not sure how much to talk about this.

Also, there are a few places on the application for "comments" which sound optional but will it be bad to not write something?

You're cutting it a bit close there AmyClare.

I would first make sure, 100%, that your reference letter writers are going to write your recommendation otherwise you're going through the intensive application process in vain. If they cannot, then ask other professors to write the letter. I've asked professors to write me letters in less than three days before, but I've known them for over 3/4 years and I talk to them at least every month about school, my life, goals, passions, accomplishments, etc. As you're fulfilling this task, let's look at your essay.

Many countries for Fulbright do not require the applicant to know the national language, however, knowing the language will increase your adaptability, a very well sought out trait. Use it to show that not only can you communicate with the students and staff, you can also use the language to engage with the local community. With your language and communication skills you'll be an even better ambassador to the Fulbright and U.S. because you'll be able to reach a larger audience.

If you need more help feel free to post! I check thegradcafe a couple times a day.

Thank you kbui! I just had my campus interview and this was very helpful. Good luck!

Haha, no problem! By the way are you comfortable with posting some of the questions that they asked you in the interview so that future applicants can use it too?

Now that we're just about on the eve of the long waiting game, what sort of alternatives do people have? I applied for both the Fulbright and George J. Mitchell in the hope of pursuing an MA in Literature and Publishing from the National University of Ireland, Galway. I have somewhere around a 1/63 chance of getting the Fulbright and a 12/300 shot at the George J. Mitchell. If I don't get either award, I'll probably have to move back in with my parents after I finish my undergrad this coming May. Luckily, I'm near enough to D.C., so I should be able to find a job or an internship in my field.

You're cutting it a bit close there AmyClare.

I would first make sure, 100%, that your reference letter writers are going to write your recommendation otherwise you're going through the intensive application process in vain. If they cannot, then ask other professors to write the letter. I've asked professors to write me letters in less than three days before, but I've known them for over 3/4 years and I talk to them at least every month about school, my life, goals, passions, accomplishments, etc. As you're fulfilling this task, let's look at your essay.

Many countries for Fulbright do not require the applicant to know the national language, however, knowing the language will increase your adaptability, a very well sought out trait. Use it to show that not only can you communicate with the students and staff, you can also use the language to engage with the local community. With your language and communication skills you'll be an even better ambassador to the Fulbright and U.S. because you'll be able to reach a larger audience.

If you need more help feel free to post! I check thegradcafe a couple times a day.

It is a bit close, but I am not quite as behind as I maybe sounded . . . .

First, letter-writers agreed in August to write letters. I am just worried that the letters won't be uploaded by the deadline.

I agree that knowing the language can be helpful in being part of the community. But I have read that people can have spent too much time in the proposed host country. I guess there's some kind of happy medium here.

Also, for a Taiwan ETA, I have read that the community project is really very much secondary to being in the schools, whereas for ETAs in other countries, the community service is much more important.

A very focused question; Did anyone write anything in the comments section for the travel information, and if so, what did you write? I don't know what I would write, but it seems a waste of a possibility to provide information to not say something.

I would really, really appreciate hearing from anyone who knows how Taiwan considers prior overseas experience for ETA applicants. I found this information on a Fulbright website, and of course there is nothing specific about Taiwan:

"Contrary to the general guideline favoring candidates without prior overseas experience, regional prior experience within Central Asia is seen as an advantage. Candidates are still recommended to select a country within Central Asia different from that in which they previously studied or lived, but any prior experience in one of the four countries can be beneficial to an application."

I would really, really appreciate hearing from anyone who knows how Taiwan considers prior overseas experience for ETA applicants. I found this information on a Fulbright website, and of course there is nothing specific about Taiwan:

"Contrary to the general guideline favoring candidates without prior overseas experience, regional prior experience within Central Asia is seen as an advantage. Candidates are still recommended to select a country within Central Asia different from that in which they previously studied or lived, but any prior experience in one of the four countries can be beneficial to an application."

Are you familiar with Tumblr? I did a quick google search and found this blog authored by someone doing a Fulbright ETA in Taiwan. If you go to this link, you can ask the author about her application experience. You'll need to create an account, though.

It is a bit close, but I am not quite as behind as I maybe sounded . . . .

First, letter-writers agreed in August to write letters. I am just worried that the letters won't be uploaded by the deadline.

I agree that knowing the language can be helpful in being part of the community. But I have read that people can have spent too much time in the proposed host country. I guess there's some kind of happy medium here.

Also, for a Taiwan ETA, I have read that the community project is really very much secondary to being in the schools, whereas for ETAs in other countries, the community service is much more important.

A very focused question; Did anyone write anything in the comments section for the travel information, and if so, what did you write? I don't know what I would write, but it seems a waste of a possibility to provide information to not say something.

Try reading Fulbright's orientation book for Taiwanese ETA scholars last year (here). Maybe this would give you an insight to what will be beneficial and what won't.

Last minute question!

For the statement of grant, the header is as follows:

STATEMENT OF GRANT PURPOSE

Jane Smith, Country, Field of Study

Project Title

And the personal statement header should follow this guideline:

Line 1: Type the words PERSONAL STATEMENT

Line 2: Type your name, country of application, and field of study

Should "Country" and "country of application" be the country I'm applying to or the country I'm from?

Last minute question!

For the statement of grant, the header is as follows:

And the personal statement header should follow this guideline:

Should "Country" and "country of application" be the country I'm applying to or the country I'm from?

Country is definitely the country you're applying for. The only people eligible for the Fulbright Full Grant and Fulbright ETA are American citizens, so your country of origin is a given, whatever your ethnic background.

Country is definitely the country you're applying for. The only people eligible for the Fulbright Full Grant and Fulbright ETA are American citizens, so your country of origin is a given, whatever your ethnic background.

Thank you! There are Fulbright awards for citizens of other countries, but it definitely makes sense that my country of origin is a given based on what website I applied through.

Edited by Sarhush

Thank you! There are Fulbright awards for citizens of other countries, but it definitely makes sense that my country of origin is a given based on what website I applied through.

The Fulbright Full Grant and ETA are American-specific. The awards for people of other countries have different names (and are for different things). Good luck with the waiting process--it will all be worth it :)

Haha, no problem! By the way are you comfortable with posting some of the questions that they asked you in the interview so that future applicants can use it too?

Of course! I'll also re-quote your questions so that future applicants can find this together.

1. You come from an arts background, so why do you want to teach English?

2. So education is important to you, but why Taiwan? Why not Teach for America?

3. Do you have a side project in mind? (Taiwan doesn't emphasize side projects so I excluded that from my essays but I still had an answer prepared)

4. Your recommenders referred to you as a leader. Can you talk about that?

I was only asked a couple more questions but I can't recall them at the moment. Most of the Fulbright applicants from my school apply for Full grants, so I wasn't asked many ETA-specific questions as you were kbui.

An interviewing tip I would like to add is that since you'll most likely be interviewing in a room with your FPA and multiple Professors, make sure you make eye contact with everyone when you answer your questions, not just the professor who asked them. Some seemed more warmer towards me than others, so I tried to win over the ones who seemed like they needed more convincing.

Of course I have some tips for interviewing, Mr. Blue! First, I'd like to type down the interview questions that I still remember.

Some of the questions aren't word for word, but it's the general gist. As for tips:

4. Be yourself.

Hey AmyClare,I put down my study abroad experience and the time I spent in abroad when I was younger. In my comments, I wrote down why I was abroad/what I did abroad (for study abroad, I wrote a little about my program and its selectivity and for my time abroad, I wrote why I was there - e.g. parent's job, elementary education abroad, etc).

Btw, I also applied for an ETA in Taiwan. Best of luck to you!

Edited by Mr. Blue

Hello all,

So this is super late but my name is Elyz and I'm applying for the Fulbright Research Grant to the Czech Republic. I'm only just now graduating undergrad so I'm an uber-n00b. Anyway I just discovered GradCafe and while I am not yet a "grad" I am certainly going to graduate this May so I figured what the heck. I'm really nervous about this thing because I put forth a ridiculous amount of work on my project but couldn't secure a letter of affiliation in time so I'm just praying for a miracle in the next 16 hours...

I've seriously emailed everyone I could find so I guess we'll just see. Anyway, am I alone here? Did anyone else feel really disgruntled with the process?

Elyz