Fulbright 2013-2014

Cyclone88

Hey AmyClare,I put down my study abroad experience and the time I spent in abroad when I was younger. In my comments, I wrote down why I was abroad/what I did abroad (for study abroad, I wrote a little about my program and its selectivity and for my time abroad, I wrote why I was there - e.g. parent's job, elementary education abroad, etc).

Btw, I also applied for an ETA in Taiwan. Best of luck to you!

Thanks, this was good advice. Good luck to you to!

My other stressor is that my career plan is not to be a teacher . . . it was hard to say anything specific about how being an ETA would help me further my career plans. I did talk generally about language skills and cultural understanding, but those are things anyone could have written about so that worries me.

But the application is submitted (including all references!) so whatever it is, it is.

Now that I have finally pushed the submission button (second time around), can I just pause to say:

Seriously????? Statement of Purpose in Japanese?

Applicants for other countries don't have to do this.

*sigh*

That seems really, really intense. Just so you know, for the German ETA, once we are selected as finalists we have to resubmit our SOP and SGP in German, along with a bunch of German paperwork. Other countries might require this too, I'm not sure.

I submitted my application on Oct. 17th!! Now time to sit and wait!

Question for applicants: Are you applying to grad school, other programs, jobs, etc while you wait to hear back from fulbright? Or are you just banking on getting the fulbright? Past applicants what did you do, or what would you suggest doing?

Now that I have finally pushed the submission button (second time around), can I just pause to say:

Seriously????? Statement of Purpose in Japanese?

Applicants for other countries don't have to do this.

*sigh*

I know! I couldn't believe it when I saw that. And because I have so little experience with academic writing in Japanese, now I'm freaking out a little wondering if I completely f*#%@$ up my chances by writing in the wrong style or something. As if this wasn't difficult & stressful enough already!

Edited 'cause I screwed up the quoting.

Edited by Sachi

I submitted my application on Oct. 17th!! Now time to sit and wait!

Question for applicants: Are you applying to grad school, other programs, jobs, etc while you wait to hear back from fulbright? Or are you just banking on getting the fulbright? Past applicants what did you do, or what would you suggest doing?

Definitely don't just bank on getting the Fulbright. One year I did that and I didn't get it and I was horribly disappointed. The next time I applied, I applied for the Germany and Austria ETA as well as grad school. I actually was already doing one semester of grad school when I found out I got Austria, so I had to leave the program for now. But at least I knew I had something to look forward to in case I didn't get anything.

Alright- is anyone interested in knowing how much competition we all have this year? We have a long time to wait until the first round and we've got to whittle away the time distracting ourselves somehow!

For 2012/13, 24 people applied for an ETA to Luxembourg. How many of you have applied for an ETA to Luxembourg this year? I have.

Total: 1

For 2012/13, 60-some people applied for a Fulbright Full (Student) to Ireland. How many of you have applied for a Full Grant to Ireland this year (13/14)? My husband has.

Also, does anyone know of someone who has gotten a Fulbright (either ETA or Full) that has dependents (or even applied/rejected)?

If I get it, my husband and at by that time 2 year old son will be my dependents, and vice versa. I have yet to read about a Fulbrighter with dependents. (Not counting the ones who have PhD's applying for the Fulbright Scholar Grant.) I'm very curious!

Good luck to everyone. I wish we all could get one!

Alright- is anyone interested in knowing how much competition we all have this year? We have a long time to wait until the first round and we've got to whittle away the time distracting ourselves somehow!

For 2012/13, 24 people applied for an ETA to Luxembourg. How many of you have applied for an ETA to Luxembourg this year? I have.

For 2012/13, 60-some people applied for a Fulbright Full (Student) to Ireland. How many of you have applied for a Full Grant to Ireland this year (13/14)? My husband has.

Also, does anyone know of someone who has gotten a Fulbright (either ETA or Full) that has dependents (or even applied/rejected)?

If I get it, my husband and at by that time 2 year old son will be my dependents, and vice versa. I have yet to read about a Fulbrighter with dependents. (Not counting the ones who have PhD's applying for the Fulbright Scholar Grant.) I'm very curious!

Good luck to everyone. I wish we all could get one!

I also applied for the full Fulbright to Ireland! So there's 2 out of the 63 projected applicants. Question-- do you have any idea why there are so many US awardees listed on Ireland's Fulbright website?

I also applied for the full Fulbright to Ireland! So there's 2 out of the 63 projected applicants. Question-- do you have any idea why there are so many US awardees listed on Ireland's Fulbright website?

Hmm.. it looks like a few of them are the Student Full, Language, or Master's grants, while the rest of them are the actual "scholars". http://www.cies2.org/s/1064/index.aspx?sid=1064&gid=3&pgid=6&cid=41 That's why so many of them have PhD's.

I know, it looks like there are so many openings!

Hmm.. it looks like a few of them are the Student Full, Language, or Master's grants, while the rest of them are the actual "scholars". http://www.cies2.org...3&pgid=6&cid=41 That's why so many of them have PhD's.

I know, it looks like there are so many openings!

You're right! I found the personal websites of a few awardees, and they call themselves "Fulbright Scholars."

Here at the Fulbright Student Program's website (a better resource than CIES) you can find application statistics for 2012-2013 ETA grants. Around there somewhere they must also have Full grant statistics as well.

Here at the Fulbright Student Program's website (a better resource than CIES) you can find application statistics for 2012-2013 ETA grants. Around there somewhere they must also have Full grant statistics as well.

On the old website, # of applicants was listed next to # of available grants, but the website update (which happened over the summer) seems to have traded functionality and helpfulness for useless smooth graphics. It's impossible to find anything!

On the old website, # of applicants was listed next to # of available grants, but the website update (which happened over the summer) seems to have traded functionality and helpfulness for useless smooth graphics. It's impossible to find anything!

Here we go--had to Google in order to find this...pathetic. http://us.fulbrightonline.org/statistics

Edited by lkjl2007

I'm applying for a Fulbright grant (2013-2014) to conduct Chemistry research in Barcelona, Spain. My application was submitted on Oct. 17th. I am looking forward to the selection process. Is anyone else apply to conduct research in Spain?

Does anyone have questions, concerns or comments about the Fulbright app in general: how is was your application process?

I just looked at the statistics for this year, and there are 123 applicants for an ETA in Thailand! Last year there were only 20 awards, so that's a 10% chance of getting the scholarship. I hope I get it! I keep on telling myself that my application will stand out, but who knows? They must be so tired reading mountains of applications.

Lord, please help me get this scholarship! Lol.

I just looked at the statistics for this year, and there are 123 applicants for an ETA in Thailand! Last year there were only 20 awards, so that's a 10% chance of getting the scholarship. I hope I get it! I keep on telling myself that my application will stand out, but who knows? They must be so tired reading mountains of applications.

Lord, please help me get this scholarship! Lol.

Those are actually the stats from last year's applicants, not this year's! I don't think the specifics are available yet on how many people have applied for this cycle.

Hmmm, I have roughly a 19% (24 from a general 127 applicants) chance of being awarded a research grant to Spain... we do have to take into account the value this research has the current social, environmental, and economic conditions of the host country.

So, is there anything to talk about... this forum is pretty dead.

Does anyone have any qualifications or recognition that sets them apart from other candidates? I'm trying to start a conversation here.

Those are actually the stats from last year's applicants, not this year's! I don't think the specifics are available yet on how many people have applied for this cycle.

I'm sure we will not know until the grants have been awarded.

Hmmm, I have roughly a 19% (24 from a general 127 applicants) chance of being awarded a research grant to Spain... we do have to take into account the value this research has the current social, environmental, and economic conditions of the host country.

So, is there anything to talk about... this forum is pretty dead.

Does anyone have any qualifications or recognition that sets them apart from other candidates? I'm trying to start a conversation here.

I mean I have a couple things that I think will set me off from other candidates, the main ones being:

1. I've studied abroad in Hawaii, Mexico, Beijing, Shanghai, currently in Taipei, and most importantly Bangkok.
  2. I was able to get a language reference filled out for my beginner Thai, which I've heard is an advantage.
  3. I have a Boren scholarship, so that may help boost my application in terms of academic achievements.
  4. My GPA is reasonably high, and I'm majoring in biology and Mandarin Chinese, two very different fields. This shows that I have a wide range of practical knowledge.
  5. My plans for side-projects include things that will benefit the community and lead by the community.

I hope these things will help my application FINALLY pass through the finals. I'm feeling good about it this year. :)

I mean I have a couple things that I think will set me off from other candidates, the main ones being:

1. I've studied abroad in Hawaii, Mexico, Beijing, Shanghai, currently in Taipei, and most importantly Bangkok.

2. I was able to get a language reference filled out for my beginner Thai, which I've heard is an advantage.

3. I have a Boren scholarship, so that may help boost my application in terms of academic achievements.

4. My GPA is reasonably high, and I'm majoring in biology and Mandarin Chinese, two very different fields. This shows that I have a wide range of practical knowledge.

5. My plans for side-projects include things that will benefit the community and lead by the community.

I hope these things will help my application FINALLY pass through the finals. I'm feeling good about it this year. :)

Those are some wonderful accomplishments both nationally and in your community.

There are also a few things that set me apart from other applicants that I would like to mention:

1) I am the co-author of 4 publications in chemistry research (as 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th author)

2) Although I not had the opportunity to travel to abroad, my written and spoken Spanish is advanced: I am able to fully articulate my personality and research goals through Spanish language.

3) My project consist of biological research in which I have acquired many skills and technique through my research experiences as an immunology, inorganic and polymer chemistry research. So, ultimately, I have 3.5 years of research experience that will directly play a role in accomplishing my goals in Spain.

That's all I can think of now... I would like to conduct research in Barcelona to immerse myself in Spanish culture for the first time and to further improve my understanding of Spanish language.

Kbui, I am very impressed with the credentials you have noted. You were awarded a Boren Scholarship, why not apply for a Full Grant? Are you interested in research?