Salt Lake City, UT

Guest dym

• 3 weeks later...

So, we're moving to Salt Lake City!  The problem is I am not moving by myself.  I currently rent a house with my husband and our three pets (and we do plan on taking all three of our pets).  I have browsed KSL.com has classfieds, Craigslist, and the like - but, we are currently living on the East Coast, it's hard to get a sense of a place from pictures alone, and we won't be moving until July-August.

We're really hoping to rent a house or a part of a duplex (no huge complexes), but will only have a couple of days at most to physically go see things in June.  (I know it's pretty common practice in our current area for realtors to show rentals and take on prospective tenants, but I can't seem to find much information about that in the SLC area.)

Does anyone have advice on the best way to relocate to SLC/have any experience using a realtor to find a rental property?  I've seen some ads from some large property management companies (RPM, I believe), small leasing companies (Trio, Medusa), and a few by owner.  Does anyone have any advice on these particular companies or places to avoid? 

Just thought I'd give my thoughts on Salt Lake since I still live here (finished my undergrad in December!). 

In terms of nice places to live, I highly recommend looking in the Sugarhouse area. It's like 15-20 minutes to get to campus (depending on when you leave since rush hour can be rather hectic) and really close to the highways. If you enjoy skiing, I think Sugarhouse is perfect since you can get on the highway (215) right away. There are quite a few places being built in this area, so it's a nice atmosphere and close to some cool restaurants and shops.

For other neighborhoods, the Avenues are always worth looking into. Those tend to be more pricey and older, but they're really close to the U. You can sometimes find houses to rent up there, though they may be in the "Greater Aves" area (aka up the hill from downtown/the "Lower Aves"). 

I do know several grad students who live in houses in Millcreek and Murray. I think they're reasonably priced (not sure), but they are certainly further away from the U. 

Word of advice - don't live on Foothill and avoid it at all costs during rush hour. Seriously. It gets ridiculous. 

I think some people asked about biking and public transit - while you can take Trax (and I think your UCard gives you access to it, as well as the buses), Trax doesn't really cover much. I think the buses are semi-reliable, but I've never taken them since I just drive to campus. I do know people who bike to campus from the Sugarhouse area, even during the winter. Also, parking passes here are actually very cheap ($180 ish for a year for the U pass) compared to other schools. 

In terms of activities, Salt Lake is a fantastic place to be outdoors. There's a ton of great hiking, rock climbing, and skiing. I'm a big skier and I've had season passes to Park City, Snowbird, Solitude, and the Canyons. You can get a student pass through One Love or the Freeskier Society (groups at the U) and it's definitely worth it. Though the deadlines are somewhat early, ranging from October to late November, so keep that in mind. Snowbird and Alta do tend to be very crowded over the weekends, but the snow is amazing. 

I think people also mentioned the weird drinking laws. Yeah, they're weird. Some liquor stores will close at 7, but some are open until 10. Nothing is open on Sundays (including some restaurants and malls. It's irritating). Liquor is precisely measured out, and there are no happy hours for drinks that I know of. However, we do have some pretty decent breweries around. Park City also might be a little more lax on the drinking laws. 

Unfortunately, one of the major issues I've encountered living here is the smog/inversions. It's disgusting. We're talking about haze you can actually see and smell. Unless you can get up into the mountains on the days it gets really bad, try to avoid being outside. 

For restaurants, there are some great places here. If you like sushi, go to Tsunami in Sugarhouse (I think there are 2 other locations, but I'm not sure where they are exactly). Frida Bistro is really great, particularly for brunch on Saturdays since it's actually affordable then. Ruth's Diner in Emigration Canyon is awesome. If you like frozen yogurt, go to Lunaberry on 400 S. For thai food, Sawadee is awesome. For Mexican, the Red Iguana (there are 2 locations) is great. For bars, I've heard that Bar X has been voted the best in the city for cocktails. Not sure if that's true, but it can be good. Whiskey Street just opened up in December I think and they have a ridiculously large selection of beverages. 

In terms of grad life, as someone mentioned, it is a commuter school. This does make it somewhat difficult to meet people. However, if you're at all interested in outdoor activities, you can definitely find lots of people who are also interested. From my experience, the bioengineering PhD students don't tend to hang out with each other in large groups as much. There are certainly small clusters of people who hang out together, but it's not like the entire PhD program hangs out together. I think the neuroscience PhD students (at least this cohort) do hang out all the time together though. So it really depends on what program you're going into.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I will be starting my PhD in August and UofU is one of my options. Now I'm making my decision and housing and leisure are big points for me to consider. 

First, I am an international student, is it ok if I wait until early August to look for a place? I don't really feel like signing anything before visiting. Does anyone know if the housing in Downtown Commons offered by the university for grad students is decent? 

Then, how easy is to get to the campus without a car? I mean, I would prefer not to buy a car at the beginning and I'm wondering if there are areas well-connected by bus or whatever. I've been looking at craiglist and at the housing website of UofU but I don't see many offers for the fall semester yet. I would like to rent a studio on my own but don't mind sharing. I just don't want to be late. 

Second, you have talked about the weird alcohol laws and all these things. Is it that serious? I am kind of a party goer, I like going out and having beer with friends... Are there places to go out? Nice pubs or something like that? I know this is not a real concern, but I've never been to Utah and don't know what to expect. 

Thank you!  :)

Hey, I will be starting my PhD in August and UofU is one of my options. Now I'm making my decision and housing and leisure are big points for me to consider. 

First, I am an international student, is it ok if I wait until early August to look for a place? I don't really feel like signing anything before visiting. Does anyone know if the housing in Downtown Commons offered by the university for grad students is decent? 

Then, how easy is to get to the campus without a car? I mean, I would prefer not to buy a car at the beginning and I'm wondering if there are areas well-connected by bus or whatever. I've been looking at craiglist and at the housing website of UofU but I don't see many offers for the fall semester yet. I would like to rent a studio on my own but don't mind sharing. I just don't want to be late. 

Second, you have talked about the weird alcohol laws and all these things. Is it that serious? I am kind of a party goer, I like going out and having beer with friends... Are there places to go out? Nice pubs or something like that? I know this is not a real concern, but I've never been to Utah and don't know what to expect. 

Thank you!  :)

Yeah, it's probably fine to wait until early August to find somewhere to live. Keep in mind that the options may be more limited by that point though. I haven't actually seen the housing in Downtown Commons. In general, the housing offered through the U is pretty awesome (they remodeled it for the Olympics). However, I don't actually know of any grad students who live in university housing. 

In terms of having a car, it depends on where you live obviously. The bus system seems to be pretty decent, particularly in the Avenues. The Avenues are super close to campus in any case. They are working on expanding the Trax system (I think), so that's always worth looking at for stops near housing areas.

Ha ha yes, there are actually places to go out and drink. While the laws are really rather inconvenient, there are some good places to go. A couple of new places just opened up recently - Whiskey Street and the Beer Bar. I haven't actually been to either yet, but I've heard great things about Whiskey Street. There are some local breweries around as well. Desert's Edge in Trolley Square is pretty good, as is Squatter's. I think Epic just opened up a new place in Sugarhouse as well. Other places worth going to..let's see. Gracie's can be good, Bar X supposedly has the best cocktails in Salt Lake..there are quite a few bars downtown really. For buying alcohol, make sure to look at the hours for the liquor stores. Some of them close at 7, while others are open until 10. Prices are a little high as well. 

• 1 year later...

Can anyone chime in this year on info about living in SLC?  I'm considering UU's physics PhD program and moving from Seattle, I'll be visiting for a few days near the end of March.

Specifically, if someone could comment on good neighborhoods to look at for grad housing, that'd be awesome.  I'd like to be able to walk to campus, but I'd settle for biking or bussing distance.  For reference, I'd be moving with my girlfriend, and ideally we'd be looking for a 2 bedroom for under 1200/mo.  Is that doable?

And what about the cultural vibe of the city?  Is there a strong mormon/religious influence on the UU campus?  Also I've heard a bit about the city having a distinct smell...?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Any thoughts on housing in SLC for fall 2016?  I recently committed to the U's Communication Graduate program and will be moving there from Pennsylvania in July...a little daunting but I am very excited.  Thanks!

Edited by alliblum

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I will be joining UoU this fall for MS and was thinking if anyone can suggest some good housing areas nearby the university. I am an international student and would be moving there in early August. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom place but wouldn't mind sharing.

Also, is it advisable to rent the place online without even seeing it as I wouldn't have a place to live when I arrive in the city?

This might sound ridiculous, but I may have a housing situation available in August for anyone moving to SLC for school: I'm working here for the summer and found a great room in a 2bd/1ba apt w/ another female. I would love to move in, but the lease is a year (though no penalty for leaving early, just need to find someone to take my place) and I'm only here through part of August. It's cheap (less than $400 a person) and about an 8 mile drive from the U. If anyone wants to agree to move into a room and take my spot in August, I'm game for arranging something.

Finding a room or sublease here has been a struggle to find something with a decent price except for places with 4+ people, undergrads, and/or strict LDS standards (none of which I'm too interested in), just FYI. 

11 hours ago, CBclone said:

This might sound ridiculous, but I may have a housing situation available in August for anyone moving to SLC for school: I'm working here for the summer and found a great room in a 2bd/1ba apt w/ another female. I would love to move in, but the lease is a year (though no penalty for leaving early, just need to find someone to take my place) and I'm only here through part of August. It's cheap (less than $400 a person) and about an 8 mile drive from the U. If anyone wants to agree to move into a room and take my spot in August, I'm game for arranging something.

Finding a room or sublease here has been a struggle to find something with a decent price except for places with 4+ people, undergrads, and/or strict LDS standards (none of which I'm too interested in), just FYI. 

Hey @CBclone please check your inbox. Sent you a message regarding the housing.

Hey @Transducer and others who sent me PMs...I found another room last minute that's only a few blocks from where I'm working. The room in question was/is near the intersection of East Highland Dr & East Murray Holladay Rd. Girls living there said it's about a 15-min drive to the U

1 hour ago, CBclone said:

Hey @Transducer and others who sent me PMs...I found another room last minute that's only a few blocks from where I'm working. The room in question was/is near the intersection of East Highland Dr & East Murray Holladay Rd. Girls living there said it's about a 15-min drive to the U

Thanks for the location @CBclone.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone! I have been accepted to UU and would like to get additional information before making a decision. My husband and I would be moving from a very big and diverse city and I wanted to know about diversity and acceptance in SLC given that we’re Latinos. The program I got accepted to is one of my top ones and we’re outdoor people. Any thoughts?

On 2/28/2019 at 8:43 AM, ASDadvocate said:

Hi everyone! I have been accepted to UU and would like to get additional information before making a decision. My husband and I would be moving from a very big and diverse city and I wanted to know about diversity and acceptance in SLC given that we’re Latinos. The program I got accepted to is one of my top ones and we’re outdoor people. Any thoughts?

Hey, I lived in SLC for 15 years and I can tell you that there's a big Latino population in the city, historically on the west side of town. 
There's also a grocery store chain: Rancho Marke, and a lot of latino family-owned restaurants. 

5 hours ago, steesp said:

Hey, I lived in SLC for 15 years and I can tell you that there's a big Latino population in the city, historically on the west side of town. 
There's also a grocery store chain: Rancho Marke, and a lot of latino family-owned restaurants. 

This is extremely helpful! Thank you so much for the insight. Food was one of the things we were worried about, although I kept reading about diversity of food choices in the city. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard cost of living is increasing every year, can anyone make an updated recommendation for what neighborhoods I should be looking into for an apartment (and avoiding)? When I had my interview, I stayed at a current student's apartment in Sugarhouse and I loved it!  But looking at prices now, it may be a little out of my range. I'm looking for a 2 bedroom under $1,100. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...