Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is directed primarily towards US students going abroad. I have applied for a English Teaching Assistantship grant to South Asia, and I was wondering if any others in this forum from the US have also applied, and, if so, whether they have received any notification of placement. I am still waiting on decisions from governments abroad.

Hi!

Sorry Sitara, this is a little bit of a tangent . . .

I have not applied-- but my sister did. She's a finalist for the UK. I'm wondering-- is anyone else a finalist for the UK? Did you hear about your phone interview/when it is? Thanks!

And good luck with your placements!

I applied for an ETA to Germany. I was notified that I was a finalist on Jan. 30; another application was just due (on Friday) to Germany (in German, essays in German, etc.) I think this application is unique to Germany though. I have heard that Germany/Fulbright committee usually notifies by end of March/early April regarding their decision; however, I have also heard that some other countries take a lot longer to notify--even until mid May. Hope that helps!

I'm hoping to know sooner rather than later so I can plan for next year--PhD program or Fulbright--and deal with deferment issues if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for a fulbright to Albania and was notified that I am a finalist, but am anxiously awaiting word that I have won. They say that once you are selected as finalist, a person has a 50% chance. What many finalists don't know is that when the applications are recommended is that the applications are numbered from highest recomendation to lowest. Some countries make their own decision, but then I could see some countries just confirming what the U.S wants. I called the people who work at fulbright, and yes you can contact them. They are really nice and helpful, and they will let you know if the countries have made their decisions yet. I know that my advisor did not want me to contact them, but i did anyway, and learned alot from asking questions. I think they might even let you know if you got it over the phone if you let them know that you have other decisions pending due to the decision from Fulbright. Finally, i think the fulbright process is too long and the wait has given me much angina. I wish everyone the best and I think this forum shoudl be stronger so we could give each other emotional support, because we call need it!

I didn't apply either, but my brother did and apparently he's just waiting on approval from China, which he should either get or not sometime this month. I'm not sure about the whole process though since he's a younger brother and doesn't share very much! Good luck to everyone who should hear soon. Geeze do they put enough pressure on March?

I am a finalist for the Iceland Fulbright and waiting to hear back. My advisor said in the past that the majority of the countries will notify applicants by the end of March. Anyone else waiting on Iceland?

I'm a finalist for Thailand. Placed a lot of eggs in this basket, so I've been frantically running back and forth to the mailbox. I know some previous Fulbright scholars who received confirmation in mid-March. Good luck to everyone waiting!

given this economy. the fulbright will be my escape. I really hope I get it because I've been praying really hard. I think that for the people who are curious about their countries, they should look at this website

http://uoip.ucdavis.edu/documents/Fulbr ... 009_10.pdf

You can contact the officers in your area region and MAKE SURE you aks them who is the program officer for that specific country and you contact them. One you contact them, you can usually ask them questions like "has the country made their decisions yet" or "when can I expect a decision to be made." I hope all of us get it so we can do our amazing research, but in the meantime all we can do is pray.

Hi everyone! I just found out via a letter from the FSB that I got it!!! I will be going to the Czech Republic. This is my second year applying (finalist last year) so I am on cloud nine. Good luck to everyone and I hope you find out soon.

I received a letter from FSB today as well. I've been named an alternate. That was a very painful letter to read. Best of luck to everyone else still waiting! Hopefully, you'll get better news.

congrats maisie112!! That is so exciting.

Does anyone know if IIE will release our standings on their list?? I'm getting anxious now reading these posts. It's so hard to be visiting and planning to attend a PhD program next year (and possibly moving) yet also waiting to hear back from the Fulbright.

Will anyone else defer if they receive the Fulbright; or, will you reapply and hope to get into a bigger/more prestigious program next year??

Couple of other questions:

If you're named as an alternate, how much of a shot do you have at actually getting to go?? Anyone know the stats on that?

Also, do they send you a letter if you're not accepted at all, or is it just the waiting game like for some of my PhD programs??

Thanks Lisa, and good luck OD09, you still have a shot...

To answer your question about rejections, yes, they do send a letter out. I got one last year.

I'm so happy for you, maisie112! Persistence pays well doesn't it? I might apply next year, but it might interrupt my grad school plans. I'm anxious to just enter a graduate program. BTW, what will you studying in the Czech Republic? Or are you teaching?

Never mind OD09; I answered my own ? by looking at previous posts (Iceland)

Hi, Lisa,

I applied to Thailand, not Iceland (though, that would've probably gotten me better results... haha). I proposed a global health development initiative to address disabilities in rural Southeast Asian communities. What did you propose? Let's commiserate! haha.

I applied in Creative Writing and am going to be researching a novel I'm working on that's set in 1913 Austria-Hungary. I've been out of school for a couple of years (MFA, Brown '06). Last year I applied through Brown but this year I was At Large. But anyway, what I did last year was to email the head of the Czech Fulbright Committee and ask, basically, why I was rejected. She was very nice and gave me specific suggestions; mainly, they felt my affiliation letter wasn't strong enough. So, yeah, persistence does pay off!! Good luck again, hope you get good news soon!

Congrats to those who have been notified.

It is so pleasing to have found this thread, as I feel the same way many of you do. I too have placed my eggs in the basket labeled "Fulbright." I am not going to grad school in the Fall; I am hoping that my Fulbright experiences will help me to develop a better focus for my graduate work when I do decide to apply. If I get the grant, I know that my experiences will set me on a new trajectory so I figure its better to have this under my belt before beginning graduate work.

Best of Luck to everyone.

Hi Aireater,

Good luck, Nigeria sounds amazing. To answer your question re: notification. I received a large envelope, from the IIE in NY. Which is odd, since I had heard that if you get in, you receive a letter directly from the country. But, maybe it depends on the country.

So does anyone know whether all the countries notify by snail mail? I've been checking my email frantically... but apparently I have no idea what's going on.

Also, Lisa, what second application to Germany are you talking about? Was that only for ETA candidates? (I'm applying for a German research grant.)