Fulbright 2009-2010

water_rabbit

So does anyone know whether all the countries notify by snail mail? I've been checking my email frantically... but apparently I have no idea what's going on.

Also, Lisa, what second application to Germany are you talking about? Was that only for ETA candidates? (I'm applying for a German research grant.)

The 2nd appl I filled out was geared toward ETA's (requests of which of the Laender you want to be placed in, teaching experience, etc.) After I was notified I was a finalist, I was sent a link to the PAD (Paedigogischer Austauschdienst). I had to fill out another application (albeit much shorter than the original one) and then translate my Fulbright essays into German. I'm sure if there was a secondary one for the research, you would have been notified. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, you don't have to speak German if you're applying for a research grant, so having to fill out an app in German/write essays in German would be a little unfair.

Where did you get affiliation to? Where do you want to go in Germany?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone wondering, I just called the Fulbright program manager in NY and asked about the status of my country (Iceland). The woman over the phone said that the Icelandic committee has met and made their decisions, now we are waiting on the US to confirm these grants. So the most important part is completed...she said we will probably hear back in two weeks or so. Exciting! Good luck to everyone.

Has anyone applied to and heard back about Fulbright applications to the UK? And to echo someone's earlier question, do all rejection/acceptance letters come through snail mail?

Thanks.

My answers are based on when I applied a few years ago. Without getting too specific, I was notified in January that I was a finalist and that my application would be sent to the country office. My country office ranked all applicants around the final week of March. I know this because they called me with questions about my application. They then interviewed me over the phone around the same time, or maybe even before calling me about my application. The finalist recommendations were then sent to the IIE NY office for final confirmation. I received my letter on April 25. Yes, I received it that late by snail mail. There was no concurrent email notification or phone call until a bit after the letter came in the mail.

im still waiting since they told me that the acceptances should be mailed by the end of the month, it is so furstrating to wait. Unfortunately I was rejected from all the PhD programs that I applied to, but if I was accpedted to a PhD program and a Fulbright at the same time, I would definately defer. This is a once in lifetime opportunity!

For the people that got accepted how did the envelope look, thin or thick, what did it contain?

good luck to all!

Hi mkurtl098,

I'm the one who posted an acceptance; I'm going to the Czech Republic. I got a 9x12 manila envelope, with the letter of acceptance, and some medical forms I have to fill out; that was it. I'm guessing I'll get some sort of orientation package with more info in a couple of weeks or so. Good luck!! I hope you hear something soon.

Hi all, especially 'design survivor;' 'maybe 77;' and lse:

I am in the finals for the UK. I did a telephone interview in early March. I was told by the interviewers that they would make a final decision in the two days after my interview (my interview was on March 2) and then the results would be forwarded to New York for clearance by IIE and the Fulbright Board. I was also told that we would be informed within a couple of weeks. Now that a couple of weeks have past, I am on pins and needles.

LSE: What kinds of questions did they ask you in your interview? What is really throwing me off is that they discussed how much (theoretically) would be awarded, and if I could make my way to the UK before the first payment is scheduled? Did they discuss this with you? From others that have interviewed, has this been discussed with you by the committee? :?:

I am assuming from what has been posted so far that we receive notification through the mail, and not email. Anyone have information that contradicts this conclusion?

Hi All,

Is there any chance that a foreign Fulbright board could email scholarship winners before letters from IIE are sent out? I did a search online and apparently someone already received an email last week that said she was chosen to be a Fulbright grantee to Israel. Since I haven't received an email or letter since I was named a finalist in January, I'm going to assume I didn't get it or that I'm an alternate at best. Any thoughts?

To AbrahamLincoln-

Nope, I'm in the same boat. Last I got was the email informing me of the US panel's approval. I believe we'll receive the final decision by early April, but I think we could hear before then. Oh well, as I wait (im)patiently I could use this time to learn more Korean. I need to purge the Italian from my brain that I learned in college, hehe. Well best of luck!!!

Hi fb2008,

Congratulations on your interview! I actually didn't interview - I just got notification in January that my application was forwarded to the UK and was waiting to hear back. At least good to know that they did, in fact, conduct interviews. I think that if you were interviewed, you're as good as in. Best of luck. And it does seem that all correspondence will be properly mailed from this point forward. Thanks so much for your input.

seems like award letters have been through "snail mail". the advisor at my current institution said it could go either way--sometimes using email, sometimes postal service. i'm still waiting...i'm a finalist to study/research in ireland. was hoping for some irish luck on the 17th, but no such luck yet!

Hi, is there any FB-09 finalist from India in the forum? I am a finalist and applied for an MPP program in US. Haven't heard any from IIE and/or USIEF since my applications were submitted. A rather frightful and deafening SILENCE! SOS!!!

Hi fb2008, lse, maybe 77,

I was notified that I was a finalist for the UK in late January but haven't heard anything since then, so I guess I didn't get an interview? I've definitely heard that if you get the interview, you are pretty much good to go. My wishful thinking is that they haven't interviewed everybody, but that doesn't seem to be realistic....

For anyone who is awaiting notification from Fulbright about Mexico's ETAs, I called the Fulbright office today and inquired if Mexico had made its final decision. The person at the office told me that Mexico had not made its final decision yet, and she did not expect a decision for a while. Just thought I'd share this information since I'm sure there is someone else out there who is persistently checking the mail each day like me.

just thought I'd mention that my friend who applied to a fulbright in Denmark found out she got one... I think she got an unofficial letter from the people in Denmark a couple weeks ago.

I'm still waiting to hear about Spain.

I applied for the Fulbright ETA to Taiwan and received confirmation that my app was forwarded to the supervising agency abroad...anyone know about final decisions from Taiwan yet or when these are expected?