Toronto, ON

Guest KK

Does anyone know of a website where i find a roommate in toronto? I am looking at getting a two bedroom apartment; although i would prefer single, it is very expensive!

Thanks again!smile.gif

Try craigslist of course, but also try sending an email to your department; they might be able to hook you up with another incoming student looking for a roommate.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about the independent residences/colleges listed on the university website (http://www.housing.utoronto.ca/residence/Independent.htm)? They look relatively cheap and central, but just seem strange because I've never attended a university that had residences like these.

Do any of them allow pets? I assume not, but the terms and conditions don't explicitly mention pets being forbidden so I'm not sure. I want to bring my pet with me, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to find an affordable place to live that will allow me to bring her with me. I may end up leaving her with my parents as I'll only be attending UofT for one year.

Another thing is, if my SO ends up moving in with me, would we both be able to live in one of these places if we're not married and only I am a UofT student? Are there any specific advantages to living in these places instead of normal university-managed accommodation?

Anyone have any advice about finding an apartment in Chinatown/Kensington Market? I've looked around on Craigslist and similar sites, but since most buildings there seem to be smaller and not like the corporate high rises elsewhere near the UofT campus, I'm having a tough time finding much info. Also everything available is for now or starting May 1st - when can I reasonably expect to start finding things for September, and when such places are advertised, how competitive will I have to be to get my hands on a place? Any suggestions about finding an apartment (ideally looking for a bachelor) around that area would be much appreciated!

Also, how far out really is St Clair and Spadina from the UofT campus? Apartments seem to get a little less expensive up there, and it doesn't look horribly far on the map, but I can't really tell. I have been living in a very small town for some time now so adjusting to city distances and public transport realities is a bit tough for me to handle!

Hi folks,

I'm moving to Toronto for school in the fall and I wondered if anyone who there knows a good realtor? Someone who's on the buyers side, trying to negotiate the best deal... I'm looking especially in Toronto West- between High Park and U of T preferred, and close to the Bloor line.

Thanks,

Melissa

• 4 weeks later...

I live at Queen/Bathurst and it only takes me about 20min to walk to U of T, so don't limit yourself to the Bloor area...consider the south!

I live just south of Kensington, on Augusta. I found my place on the UofT housing website in August two years ago. So you can find places right up to the month before you want to move in...

Anyone have any advice about finding an apartment in Chinatown/Kensington Market? I've looked around on Craigslist and similar sites, but since most buildings there seem to be smaller and not like the corporate high rises elsewhere near the UofT campus, I'm having a tough time finding much info. Also everything available is for now or starting May 1st - when can I reasonably expect to start finding things for September, and when such places are advertised, how competitive will I have to be to get my hands on a place? Any suggestions about finding an apartment (ideally looking for a bachelor) around that area would be much appreciated!

Also, how far out really is St Clair and Spadina from the UofT campus? Apartments seem to get a little less expensive up there, and it doesn't look horribly far on the map, but I can't really tell. I have been living in a very small town for some time now so adjusting to city distances and public transport realities is a bit tough for me to handle!

• 9 months later...

I have been offered a spot at U of T. They are giving me $32,000 for the first 2 years, and $26,000 thereafter. How hard would it be to live in Toronto with this amount? Would I live reasonably or would I be living like a pauper? :P I am single and do not have a family to care for. I do not really drink or party or anything, but I do like to study at cafes (where of course I end up buying a cup or two every time) and eat out a lot. I also enjoy the occasional outing to the movies, etc. Thanks!

I have been offered a spot at U of T. They are giving me $32,000 for the first 2 years, and $26,000 thereafter. How hard would it be to live in Toronto with this amount? Would I live reasonably or would I be living like a pauper? :P I am single and do not have a family to care for. I do not really drink or party or anything, but I do like to study at cafes (where of course I end up buying a cup or two every time) and eat out a lot. I also enjoy the occasional outing to the movies, etc. Thanks!

Hi immaterial! Congratulations on your acceptance! Toronto is an expensive city, but you should be able to manage comfortably on that stipend provided that your (international?) tuition doesn't eat into it too much. If it's that stipend + free tuition -- wowza! You'll be a king amongst grad students. :P

In any case, there's lots of good advice on this board about where to look for housing. A reasonable price for a one bedroom appears to be $800-$1000 and up, depending on where and how nice the place is. Look for a place that has heat and hydro included -- paying for those, especially if you have baseboard heating, can run you hundreds of dollars in the winter. If you want to walk to campus, you'll probably be sharing a place. If not, look for somewhere along the subway routes as a couple of stops from campus will be cheaper and arguably just as convenient.

As for eating out a lot, Toronto is a fantastic foodie city. You'll love it. Don't miss Summerlicious and Winterlicious twice a year. Having a three course lunch at Auberge du Pommier for $25 while all your 9-to-5er friends are stuck at the office is a lovely student experience.

You should be more than fine with that amount- $800-$1000 is in the higher range for an apartment around here- I know a lot of people in the University of Toronto area who have decent places in the $500-$700 range (as long as you are willing to have a roommate or two).

Personally, I love Toronto- there is always something to do, tons of restaurants and shops, you can get around without a car, it is generally considered safer than a lot of other cities. I definitely think it is the best place to be in Canada (but I know canucks outside of T.O. might take issue with that statement ;) )

Got into Toronto's MHSc program in Clinical Engineering. Haha they told me 1500 guaranteed department funding + paid internships....I hardly think that will cover my tuition fees. What is close by to 164 College Street Toronto, Ontario in terms of living options?

Got into Toronto's MHSc program in Clinical Engineering. Haha they told me 1500 guaranteed department funding + paid internships....I hardly think that will cover my tuition fees. What is close by to 164 College Street Toronto, Ontario in terms of living options?

Congrats!

It might be hard to find something affordable right on College/University, but there are some affordable places farther up north. It really depends on what you are looking for and what your budget is gonna be. I live near St. Clair/Bathurst, so I'm roughly 20 minutes from Queen's Park station by TTC, and I pay about $899/month plus hydro for a one bedroom apartment. I think you'll be fine as long as you are in the downtown core --- it's really easy to get around Toronto if you have easy access (by bus, streetcar, walking distance) to a subway station. So you are looking at anywhere from $500 for a bachelor to $1000 for a one bedroom apartment. Neighborhood-wise, I'd recommend the Annex. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Edited by PrettyVacant

Seems that this topic is overwhelmingly filled with U of T grad students.

I was recently accepted to Ryerson for grad studies beginning in the fall. Never been to Toronto, have had a few friends who have attended both Ryerson and U of T, but would like to get people's opinions on here as well.

I'm not sure if I have a need to live right downtown, north of Bloor is fine, I was looking at maybe the Davisville or St Clair neighborhoods. Proximity to subway would be great for me as it would be my primary mode of transport to and from school.

Looking to spend about $850-$950 (or $1000 maximum all inclusive) for a 1 bedroom. Looked around Craigslist and saw some decent renovated stuff, a lot of the rentals seem quite old though. Would prefer a more modern place.

Opinions? Any other places I should look? I noticed someone mentioned Roncesvalles (sp?) earlier in the thread. Any other neighborhoods?

I was recently accepted to Ryerson for grad studies beginning in the fall. Never been to Toronto, have had a few friends who have attended both Ryerson and U of T, but would like to get people's opinions on here as well.

I'm not sure if I have a need to live right downtown, north of Bloor is fine, I was looking at maybe the Davisville or St Clair neighborhoods. Proximity to subway would be great for me as it would be my primary mode of transport to and from school.

Looking to spend about $850-$950 (or $1000 maximum all inclusive) for a 1 bedroom. Looked around Craigslist and saw some decent renovated stuff, a lot of the rentals seem quite old though. Would prefer a more modern place.

Opinions? Any other places I should look? I noticed someone mentioned Roncesvalles (sp?) earlier in the thread. Any other neighborhoods?

Congrats!

Check http://www.trivestdev.com/prices.html They have apartments in the Forest Hill/Wychwood area, close to St. Clair W-Eglinton W stations.

Edited by PrettyVacant

Congrats to everyone!

I absolutely love Toronto. I'm paying about $850 for a tiny studio-apartment in The Annex. Great neighbourhood: pleasant, fairly quiet, within walking-distance of the U of T, several grocery-stores, several subway- and bus-stops, and lots of nifty shops on Bloor Street West.

There are lots of apartment-building overview things at viewit.ca.

could anyone provide me info about bringing a usa registered car to toronto?

i live in buffalo so id be commuting back home on the weekends. would it be necessary to get ontario plates?

Well I would most definitely argue that one....

I wouldn't. :P

And Engin33r, I see plenty of cars with Buffalo plates in Toronto, so I don't think you have to worry about getting Ontario plates as long as you are commuting back and forth.

Edited by PrettyVacant

Only visited Toronto, (2000 & 03) and loved it. If you shop around things neednt be the most expensive I found in terms of food and other essentials. Great record stores too. I have fond memories of having a long conversation with someone over there about a favourite band of mine from the UK. I was surprised that he'd heard of them for one, but he knew pretty much everything. It was just one example of the genuine friendliness of the people I met there.

could anyone provide me info about bringing a usa registered car to toronto?

i live in buffalo so id be commuting back home on the weekends. would it be necessary to get ontario plates?

You don't need Ontario plates unless you're going to register your car here. I've known a lot of American students who kept their cars registered in the US.

It might be best to contact your car insurance or Drivers licencing centre to find out. If you are moving here permanently then I'd assume you'd get the Ontario plates and register your car here. Are you American or Canadian or both?

On 3/16/2011 at 7:57 PM, engin33r said:

any suggestions for a good cell phone provider?

looking for unlimited talk/text (international text), unlimited incoming for the downtown toronto area

Fido's got a pretty decent plan going on right now.

On 3/8/2011 at 3:05 PM, Gaijin Punch said:

More modern places around that area would be Yonge and Eglington, although it may be higher than your price range.

Roncesvalles is a cool neighbourhood - older homes but pretty far out. Ryerson is at Dundas Subway Station basically so it's convenient if you live near a Subway stop. Around the campus, you can find some housing, not sure about pricing though.

Modern, new condos you have to look at "Condoville" which is like a stretch near Union Station to like a bit past Spadina. But they are quite expensive.

• 2 months later...

Thought I might revive this topic. I was accepted a little while ago to an MASc in Aerospace Engineering at U of T. Luckily my boyfriend is currently living and working in Toronto so he has taken care of the apartment search. We found a nice two bedroom right near St Clair West subway for $1250, utilities and heated underground parking included. Since I am at UTIAS, which is up by York, my commute is probably going to suck. However if I'm TAing and playing varsity rugby I'll probably have to be on the main campus every once in a while. The location seemed like a good compromise between the two.

Thought I might revive this topic. I was accepted a little while ago to an MASc in Aerospace Engineering at U of T. Luckily my boyfriend is currently living and working in Toronto so he has taken care of the apartment search. We found a nice two bedroom right near St Clair West subway for $1250, utilities and heated underground parking included. Since I am at UTIAS, which is up by York, my commute is probably going to suck. However if I'm TAing and playing varsity rugby I'll probably have to be on the main campus every once in a while. The location seemed like a good compromise between the two.

congrats!

once the subway expansion up to York is finished, it'll hopefully be easier.