Jump to content
Guest KK

Toronto, ON

Recommended Posts

On 09/03/2018 at 4:27 AM, kylexy61 said:

Hello guys,  please how long does the journey from York University's new subway to downtown Toronto last?

Anywhere between 25-40 minutes, depending on where you are getting off. For example, 25-30 minutes usually to get to St. George station (which I would consider the first 'downtown' station if traveling southbound) and 35-40 to get to Union station (south most station). Travel time is also impacted by rush hour etc., but I think that's quite a universal phenomenon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I just got offered a phd position at the University of Toronto, with a stipend of 17k CAD. Is it enough to live in the city? I have no idea about the cost of living there, and 17k seems a little low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2018 at 11:34 AM, thevphone said:

Hi! I just got offered a phd position at the University of Toronto, with a stipend of 17k CAD. Is it enough to live in the city? I have no idea about the cost of living there, and 17k seems a little low. 

Hi, I've gone to UofT for the past four years for my undergrad. Yes, the stipend is unfortunately pretty low relative to the cost of living in Toronto. However, many students supplement that stipend with additional summer TAships, NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR funding, etc. They all report that it is livable. Living in Toronto, the biggest expense is definitely housing. The caveat of that, though, is that you will certainly need to have a roommate or two, and you will probably need to consider housing outside of the downtown core. There are plenty of places on the subway line that would connect you to the campus area. 

My experience is limited to living in the downtown core within walking distance to campus. I can give you some concrete estimates of cost for that radius: If you are living with 1-3 roommates, you can find a decent place for 800-1000 CAD a month, including utilities. It is possible to find cheaper places if you're fine with basement apartments. A studio is more like 1300-1500, which would presumably be out of your budget range on the grad stipend. Daily cost of living is not so bad; there are cheap food options to be found (try groceries in Chinatown/Kensington!). The main challenge will just be finding a place to live that doesn't eat up the whole stipend.

*Note that the info provided above is under the assumption that you are referring to the St. George campus of UofT. If you're looking at the Scarborough or Missaussaga campuses, housing is cheaper and you'd probably live closer to campus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brainlass said:

Hi, I've gone to UofT for the past four years for my undergrad. Yes, the stipend is unfortunately pretty low relative to the cost of living in Toronto. However, many students supplement that stipend with additional summer TAships, NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR funding, etc. They all report that it is livable. Living in Toronto, the biggest expense is definitely housing. The caveat of that, though, is that you will certainly need to have a roommate or two, and you will probably need to consider housing outside of the downtown core. There are plenty of places on the subway line that would connect you to the campus area. 

My experience is limited to living in the downtown core within walking distance to campus. I can give you some concrete estimates of cost for that radius: If you are living with 1-3 roommates, you can find a decent place for 800-1000 CAD a month, including utilities. It is possible to find cheaper places if you're fine with basement apartments. A studio is more like 1300-1500, which would presumably be out of your budget range on the grad stipend. Daily cost of living is not so bad; there are cheap food options to be found (try groceries in Chinatown/Kensington!). The main challenge will just be finding a place to live that doesn't eat up the whole stipend.

*Note that the info provided above is under the assumption that you are referring to the St. George campus of UofT. If you're looking at the Scarborough or Missaussaga campuses, housing is cheaper and you'd probably live closer to campus.

Thanks for the info! I will see whether they can increase my stipend or something :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, thevphone said:

Thanks for the info! I will see whether they can increase my stipend or something :)

I know it depends on the department, but I've heard that they can be willing to match competing funding offers, if that applies to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, brainlass said:

I know it depends on the department, but I've heard that they can be willing to match competing funding offers, if that applies to you!

Yes that's exactly my situation, so it should work! Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it hard to get approved for an apartment on a grad stipend (assuming good credit and positive landlord references)?  Seems like landlords might be reluctant to rent to someone whose monthly budget is 60% rent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

A bit off topic, but I'd need some advice. I need to fly to Toronto with my sister (we're two adults) on September 15 this year for one time event. When is the right moment to start looking for flights?

Thank you,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Adelaide9216,

I think booking a flight about 60-90 days in advance of the anticipated travel date would give you a good deal. You can compare flight rates for different airlines and for different dates through Google Flights and also set up alerts for any price fluctuations. Also, if you looking to fly to Toronto, you may want to see if there are flights that land in other airports other than Pearson, like the Billy Bishop Airport or the Hamilton Airport; they tend to be relatively cheaper. Albeit, you would need to also make accommodations to reach your final destination accordingly. I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Romeo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2018 at 6:21 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello,

A bit off topic, but I'd need some advice. I need to fly to Toronto with my sister (we're two adults) on September 15 this year for one time event. When is the right moment to start looking for flights?

Thank you,

I would say right away.

The earlier you check, the cheaper you get.

The flight fares will only keep increasing since this is the time when graduates admissions take place and there is a high demand for flight tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I have received an offer from University of Toronto for Fall 2019 - not sure about funding yet. Any idea what the cost of a studio/ensuite room would be around the Scarborough campus or which websites would be good to look through for this? I am surfing through some, the costs seem to have a huge range... 

Has anyone lived on campus? How is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 3:01 PM, Troodondodo said:

Hi! I have received an offer from University of Toronto for Fall 2019 - not sure about funding yet. Any idea what the cost of a studio/ensuite room would be around the Scarborough campus or which websites would be good to look through for this? I am surfing through some, the costs seem to have a huge range... 

Has anyone lived on campus? How is it?

Hello!

Check out:

viewit.ca
padmapper.com

Not sure about the range around that area, but it'll definitely be more affordable than downtown on the minimum U of T stipend. U of T should also have a housing board where you can check out some apartments that are up for rent around campus - you will probably have less competition looking through those listings.

Good luck, and congratulations on your acceptance!!

Edited by eggs.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 3:01 PM, Troodondodo said:

Hi! I have received an offer from University of Toronto for Fall 2019 - not sure about funding yet. Any idea what the cost of a studio/ensuite room would be around the Scarborough campus or which websites would be good to look through for this? I am surfing through some, the costs seem to have a huge range... 

Has anyone lived on campus? How is it?

I've been looking for apartments in that area for a while now. I currently live in East Toronto but not in Scarborough. I would say you're looking between $1000-1500 for a bachelor or 1 bedroom apartment but it depends on your standards. Basement apartments tend to be cheaper (but darker). I've seen rooms in a multi-bedroom house or apartment for 500 or 600. I would check Kijiji. But, whatever the living situation, it's worth checking it's location to local transit systems i.e. how far south or north of the Danforth the place is... I've been lured into a few places only to realize it's quite a commute to the subway line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I have been offered CDN$ 23000 as funding from UofT (including TA). Would possibly get some more money from working as RA. How much more would I need to earn to survive somewhere commutable from St. George campus, approx.? Any accommodation is okay with me as long as washroom is not shared. Also, are fellowships and assistantships in Toronto taxed? 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Ocean's_Witch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 8:45 PM, Ocean's_Witch said:

Hi! I have been offered CDN$ 23000 as funding from UofT (including TA).

Congratulations on your acceptance. I have received an offer it just stated the 17500 CAD base funding. How did you know about the TA? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 1:45 PM, Ocean's_Witch said:

Hi! I have been offered CDN$ 23000 as funding from UofT (including TA). Would possibly get some more money from working as RA. How much more would I need to earn to survive somewhere commutable from St. George campus, approx.? Any accommodation is okay with me as long as washroom is not shared. Also, are fellowships and assistantships in Toronto taxed? 

Thanks in advance! 

Hello: what you end up with honestly depends on how much you are willing to pay. For what it's worth, I have colleagues who spend anywhere between $650 (room w/ shared washroom) to to $900 (also a room w/ shared washroom). For a separate washroom, you are looking at a 2 bed, 2 washroom place. These can range anywhere between $1000-$1500 per room- check out Bunz Home Zone and the U of T off campus housing groups on Facebook for most recent estimates. My advice would be to find a place downtown, eliminate commuting costs, and have lots of home cooked meals. Alternatively, make sure that if you are living some distance away from the core, then there are good commuting options with respect to regularity of bus service etc.

TA'ship and RA'ship income is taxed. If your department gives you an award or something (like an entrance scholarship etc.), that will not be taxed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering if anyone here has any experience with U of T's on campus options for graduate students (Graduate House at the St. George Campus or Schrieberwood Small/Large Bachelors at UTM, specifically). 

Also, any advice for international students moving to Canada? I've been told that my credit history won't follow me to Canada, so I was wondering how I could possibly get approved for a lease if they can't even run a credit check on me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking for a Female, non-smoker roommate to share one of York University's in campus apartments starting from September 2019. I could not find any forum with the same topic. If there is please let me know.

Edited by Mahya JR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.