no acceptances for me ... yet ... still waiting

portugabel

I've been rejected from two schools, still waiting on three more. This whole process is so frustrating! I thought for sure I would be in somewhere by spring break, but that starts tomorrow and so far only rejections!

Same boat here -- not a peep.

It's also irritating because my officemate applied to 10 schools and has interviewed at all of them, accepted at 2, and no flat-out rejections yet. It does not console me that she was applying to totally different programs (PhD cognitive psych) and that her app deadlines were a full month earlier than mine. :evil:

The only thing I have is a waitlist, and I only know that because I e-mailed the program. I'm extremely happy to have that. When I got four rejections I was devastated and sure that I was hopeless. According to UConn my application made the committee very impressed. That one sentence completely changed my outlook. I know everyone's cut their slots - sometimes by more than half - but the difference between getting rejected/waitlisted because of economics, and rejected because I didn't stand a chance, is sooo much. I know everything may still come down to naught, but I'm so thankful to know that I'm in range of the target rather than fifty miles away.

The only thing I have is a waitlist, and I only know that because I e-mailed the program. I'm extremely happy to have that. When I got four rejections I was devastated and sure that I was hopeless. According to UConn my application made the committee very impressed. That one sentence completely changed my outlook. I know everyone's cut their slots - sometimes by more than half - but the difference between getting rejected/waitlisted because of economics, and rejected because I didn't stand a chance, is sooo much. I know everything may still come down to naught, but I'm so thankful to know that I'm in range of the target rather than fifty miles away.

Yeah, I wish schools were better in general about letting people know if they're on a waitlist or not. It seems to really vary according to school/program if they bother notifying you like that. Otherwise, if you write a program inquiring as to your application's status, and you get one of those "we'll be notifying everybody by (whatever date)", it's like...ok...so should I be holding my breath until whatever date, or not bother?

Sigh. By this point, with my nerves frayed already, I'd almost rather just get an outright rejection than no indication whatsoever of my chances... =(

Same boat here -- not a peep.

It's also irritating because my officemate applied to 10 schools and has interviewed at all of them, accepted at 2, and no flat-out rejections yet. It does not console me that she was applying to totally different programs (PhD cognitive psych) and that her app deadlines were a full month earlier than mine. :evil:

A friend of mine told me last night that she has been accepted to every program she applied to. Now granted she is applying to a much less competitive program than me in a different field (at a master's level as well - whereas I'm applying at a PhD level) but still come on. It was a good thing we were instant messaging and she couldn't see my facial expressions!

A friend of mine told me last night that she has been accepted to every program she applied to. Now granted she is applying to a much less competitive program than me in a different field (at a master's level as well - whereas I'm applying at a PhD level) but still come on. It was a good thing we were instant messaging and she couldn't see my facial expressions!

I probably would've typed,

"one sec, phone"

then gone and screamed at a wall. =)

program: Sociology PhD

Applied: UCI, UCR, UCLA, UCSC, UCSD

Rejected: UCLA, UCSD, UCSC

No response: UCI, UCR

Sigh. By this point, with my nerves frayed already

I totally agree with you! At this point, I'm sort of over the anxiety of waiting. I applied at the end of february to three MA programs in California. I may have to self-fund my MA program, but I'm determined to start my grad career this fall, as opposed to waiting it out ANOTHER YEAR! AH!

First: Breathe. You're in good company as most of us are in the same boat.

Second: Don't stress how many people are sitting on multiple acceptances. If you're waitlisted, you're waitlisted. It'll shake out in the wash and stressing it won't help.

Third: I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Its a bad year for this...taking a year off won't kill any of us.

:D

Smile some!!!

Nikki--OSU turned you down? WTHeck?

It must really be a bad year. You're right up their ally.

Do not stress though. 7 reject letters currently adorn my fridge. You'll make it somewhere. And if not, one year off won't hurt you any (you'll reclaim some sanity perhaps while you prep your apps for next year).

You'll make it somewhere. And if not, one year off won't hurt you any (you'll reclaim some sanity perhaps while you prep your apps for next year).

In a way, I am completely fine being rejected from everywhere this year, if that happens. I know I'll be sad for awhile but I think in the end it could be good. I almost postponed applying so I could have a year off anyway, and it would be nice to have a break from school for a little bit (I have been in school non-stop since preschool/kindergarten). Maybe I'd remember why I used to love it so much.

I probably would've typed,

"one sec, phone"

then gone and screamed at a wall. =)

Haha I should have done that! Let's just say, there was a very long pause while I collected myself to respond courteously.

In a way, I am completely fine being rejected from everywhere this year, if that happens. I know I'll be sad for awhile but I think in the end it could be good. I almost postponed applying so I could have a year off anyway, and it would be nice to have a break from school for a little bit (I have been in school non-stop since preschool/kindergarten). Maybe I'd remember why I used to love it so much.

This is exactly what one of my LOR-writers said. She told me that she highly recommends taking at least a year off between college and grad-school, because a) the two experiences are so different; B) getting other experience is extremely valuable; and c) most importantly, it rekindles your interest in your chosen field(s). I considered her advice and basically ended up throwing it out the window for myself, but I can certainly appreciate her viewpoint.

That's good advice, that is!

I originally intended to take two years off, but by the end of the first summer, still unemployed, I realized that I was going to have to apply anyway. Of course, then I found a job, and hopefully I am going to be able to keep it as I, too, have no acceptances yet.

So maybe I'll end up taking two years after all. That's fine with me as long as I can work and support myself.

Taking some time off will definitely clear your head about whether you really want to do all this grad school stuff. My attitude when I was a senior in college was "I kinda wanna do this, it sounds pretty good I guess." But now I'm REALLY excited for it and can't wait.

You will hear people say "oh I always meant to go back to grad school, but I never got around to it, life gets in the way you know." Do not listen to these people. Life might cause you to wait a little longer than you expected before you go back, but if going to grad school is really what you want, you will eventually shove life out of your way and make it happen. :) I did! Or, ahem, I'm trying to, but these grad schools just haven't admitted my wonderful ass yet.

Nikki--OSU turned you down? WTHeck?

It must really be a bad year. You're right up their ally.

Do not stress though. 7 reject letters currently adorn my fridge. You'll make it somewhere. And if not, one year off won't hurt you any (you'll reclaim some sanity perhaps while you prep your apps for next year).

When I called OSU said that my application was good, but that they didn't have the funding to offer me a spot. I haven't gotten an official rejection from them yet, so maybe there is some sort of informal wait list?

Ugh! I just don't want to wait another year, have to stress out again, and spend another year at my job.....

Fingers crossed I get good news from Temple or George Washington this week.

You will hear people say "oh I always meant to go back to grad school, but I never got around to it, life gets in the way you know." Do not listen to these people. Life might cause you to wait a little longer than you expected before you go back, but if going to grad school is really what you want, you will eventually shove life out of your way and make it happen. :) I did! Or, ahem, I'm trying to, but these grad schools just haven't admitted my wonderful ass yet.

This is true. I'm going back after 2 years in the real world, and it was an easy decision.

I also feel 10 times more motivated than I did coming out of my undergrad.

Also, in the general spirit of this thread, I haven't heard a PEEP from any of the schools I applied to. I thought for sure I would have heard from someone last week.

yup I'm in pretty much the same boat. I've been out of school 2.5 years and decided I really wanted to go back to school having figured out what I wanted to do with life, and now 4 rejections later and 3 schools left to hear back from I'm pretty much bummed and depressed. To make things worse my parents keep joking about how I should go find a husband if I dont get into school.. :cry: .

To make things worse my parents keep joking about how I should go find a husband if I dont get into school.. :cry: .

I hate it when my folks do that! Like once I get married my entire life will be complete! PUH-LEAZE. :roll:

yup I'm in pretty much the same boat. I've been out of school 2.5 years and decided I really wanted to go back to school having figured out what I wanted to do with life, and now 4 rejections later and 3 schools left to hear back from I'm pretty much bummed and depressed. To make things worse my parents keep joking about how I should go find a husband if I dont get into school.. :cry: .

wow...

I think, the only prudent response to such a horrible joke, is to respond with something like:

"Well, actually guys, I've been meaning to talk to you about this. I'm gay."

To make things worse my parents keep joking about how I should go find a husband if I dont get into school.. :cry: .

God, that's horrible. I would be tempted to say "Why would I do that? I'll just move back in with you!"