EPA Star Fellowship 2013

Alaudid

I just want to point out that there are no EPA star FONs that are "Sustainable and Healthy Communities". I would also hope that the EPA would not just cut funding or a single group of applicants, since that just seems arbitrary.

Additionally, if you look at the letter, there are other funding classes under the "Sustainable and Healthy Communities" that are not linked to FONs that have "sustainable and healthy communities" in the name. It looks like this letter might indicate that ALL "new fellowships" might be cut this year. It may also just mean they will award less overall (by 45). Either way, it seems like the subsection of this letter does not literally refer to a group of STAR FON categories.

http://www.epa.gov/ncer/rfa/2013/2013_star_gradfellow.html

http://op.bna.com/env.nsf/id/fwhe-94wsd3/$File/EPALetter.pdf

Ah, good point.

So I was browsing the EPA STAR faq's and came across this gem

Q. When will I be notified about the status of my application? How can I find out if my application is successful?

A. An e-mail will be sent to the Principal Investigator (with a copy to the Administrative Contact) to acknowledge receipt of the application and to transmit other important information. We will then notify you, either when your application has been rejected or when it is approved for funding. It will be a minimum of about 4 months before you hear if your application did not pass the peer review process, but it might take as long as 6 months. Until the entire review process is complete, if you call us to determine the status of your application, the only response you will receive is: “Your application is still under review.” You will be contacted in about 8-12 months if your application has been selected for an award.

>You will be contacted in about 8-12 months if your application has been selected for an award.

> in about 8-12 months

*face on desk*

So is it May 1st at the latest or not? I am confus.

I think the 8-12 months thing is the official selection, like when you finalize paperwork and such. 

The past forums all show people finding out in the april/may time frame. Let's hope that's the case, I don't think my sanity will be able to handle much more waiting. 

I was not awarded either time that I applied the last two years. My packets containing rejection letters and reviews were dated April 29, 2011 (Very Good, Very Good, and Very Good overall scores) and April 12, 2012 (Good, Excellent, and Good overall scores). These were external reviews, and I believe that applications that pass this stage get sent to internal review, which explains why notification could take longer for students that are awarded.

So, I would expect a packet in the mail in the next 3-4 weeks if rejected. I don't remember from the past forums when people found out that they were getting the fellowship, but I think they were notified by phone. I just hope I don't see another packet in my mailbox this year...

Edited by igresqc

I was not awarded either time that I applied the last two years. My packets containing rejection letters and reviews were dated April 29, 2011 (Very Good, Very Good, and Very Good overall scores) and April 12, 2012 (Good, Excellent, and Good overall scores). These were external reviews, and I believe that applications that pass this stage get sent to internal review, which explains why notification could take longer for students that are awarded.

So, I would expect a packet in the mail in the next 3-4 weeks if rejected. I don't remember from the past forums when people found out that they were getting the fellowship, but I think they were notified by phone. I just hope I don't see another packet in my mailbox this year...

Yeah, the rejections come in large Manila envelopes, so if you get one in the mail from the EPA it is 100% bad news. People were calling it the "envelope of death" or something last year. Anyway, I might contact someone about it a bit later and report back. Might not do it for a bit though. 

so last year they gave out the awards and rejection letters between April and June.  Either they are so far behind that we will find out between May and July or could it be that all of us who visit this thread are still being considered for the award and thus this is good news?  I really hope the latter, though I've already determined looking back on it, my proposal was way too ambitious for a masters student so I probably didn't get the award.

Still no news here, but SensLu I'd love if that were the case and we were all still in the running. I just left a voicemail for Brandon Jones, the technical contact. If I hear any information I'll be sure to post. 

I think last year they were true to their word in that all awardees were notified by the end of April, but some rejections didn't go out until later -- they don't say anything about when those notifications will be made.  I got mine in mid-May last year.  But last year by this time, lots of rejections had already been received.  I'm not sure about awards.  The year before that, no one heard anything until they updated the website on May 5th to say that it would take until the end of May (which I know from stalking this page and previous ones last year).  I'm afraid it seems like they might be on track for something like that again this year -- I just hope it's not because of the sequester and they're trying to figure out if they can give out any at all.

I have spoken to someone who works at NOAA and he said that out of all of the scientific research orgs the EPA has been hit the hardest. Everyone has to take a few work days without any pay. I think that if the sequester has affected the number of epa star fellowships awarded they would have made an official statement on the 2013 epa star fellowship page (just like when they said notifications would take longer in a previous year). 

Maybe the external review process has been taking longer than usual due to sequestration? 

I keep checking the mailbox...nothing yet. 

Someone mentioned to me that there was a review panel within the last week or two. That might be why. When I applied in 2010 I was notified April 6th, 2011. I got mostly "goods." So maybe it might be a positive sign that anyone that has not been notified made it a littler further in the review process? 

I think I wrote this before...but last year I got an excellent, good and a fair- and I still didn't get it til June. So I was not at all "in the running" yet it still took that long to get the envelope... I think it's too early to read anything (good or bad) into not having news yet. Especially with the sequestration...

Someone mentioned to me that there was a review panel within the last week or two. That might be why. When I applied in 2010 I was notified April 6th, 2011. I got mostly "goods." So maybe it might be a positive sign that anyone that has not been notified made it a littler further in the review process? 

Just curious who was the source of that there was a review panel? A prof? That is a good sign if they are reviewing them.